Old 02-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
Guru

"Free" anchorage? Not really....

free for the taxpayers who have to pick up the tab. Here in San Diego, the current fiscal year will cost the taxpayers $592,000 to pay for impounded/abandoned vessels, to be increased in 2020 to $745,400. There has been an increase from 24 to 36 vessels being turned over to the Impound Services company, due in part to an un-patrolled area off the northwest side of Coronado Island, known as the Zuniga Jetty Shoal, where boaters are mooring for free. The boats break free and wind up on the beach, requiring removal. With no paper trail to identify the owners, the taxpayers are forced to pick up the tab.

ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:00 PM   #2
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
free for the taxpayers who have to pick up the tab. Here in San Diego, the current fiscal year will cost the taxpayers $592,000 to pay for impounded/abandoned vessels, to be increased in 2020 to $745,400. There has been an increase from 24 to 36 vessels being turned over to the Impound Services company, due in part to an un-patrolled area off the northwest side of Coronado Island, known as the Zuniga Jetty Shoal, where boaters are mooring for free. The boats break free and wind up on the beach, requiring removal. With no paper trail to identify the owners, the taxpayers are forced to pick up the tab.
$745,400 for 36 vessels??? Something's wrong with this picture. That's $20,705 per vessel. What am I missing here. I could hire a junk man and dispose of a boat for less than $1K. And I'm doing that right now, for WAY less.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:23 PM   #3
Guru

City: Leesburg, VA
Quote:
...With no paper trail to identify the owners, the taxpayers are forced to pick up the tab.
Why is there no paper trail to the owner? Don't boats have to be registered and taxes paid on them? The registration number or hull ID# should trace back to someone. If the current owner doesn't file the paperwork to register the boat, the last registered owner should be able to tell the authorities who he sold it to. If the owner can't show who he sold the boat to, then it becomes his problem (or encourages the seller to make da*m sure the paperwork is in order for the sale).

$20K a pop should provide enough money to track the owner down. You won't get them all, but it should help.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:54 AM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ancora. Source please?
Old 02-26-2019, 05:35 AM   #5
FF
Guru

"$745,400 for 36 vessels??? Something's wrong with this picture. That's $20,705 per vessel. What am I missing here."

Government doing anything is never cheap.

In NYC the cost for the housing authority to change a single light bulb is $1,900.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:50 AM   #6

Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC
Google finds:
"The Log", page 9
https://issuu.com/dmcinc/docs/februa...7-2019-combine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Log.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	85850   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Log P9.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	85851  
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:11 AM   #7

City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
CA taxing authorities and governmental agencies together form a robust well oiled and monied industry and if employed by same one might be very fortunate....for common citizen not so much.
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:19 AM   #8
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Government doing anything is never cheap.
Pretty much this. It's one thing to think about just the cost of physically retrieving a derelict. In some situations that might not be terribly expensive.

But there's a lot of other costs that come into play. Mitigating anything come off the vessel and polluting (and cleaning that up) is one. Transporting it and putting it somewhere pending disposal comes next. No doubt there's a lot of steps between "it's an immediate hazard that MUST be dealt with", "who does this belong to" and eventually "we can legitimately dispose of it". All of those costs add-up.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:47 AM   #9
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Worked both in government and small business.

The corners small businesses cut amazed me. Of course that was only till their insurance companies and lawyers demanded performance making them as bureaucratic as government and subsequent pricing increases. Seeing my bosses curse the very things that they used to complain about the government doing was comical.

It's not that government does things so inefficiently (generalization), they often are just following regulations placed on them by laws created to protect and serve...when businesses have to do the same, often the similarities in costs and performance are strikingly similar (generalization).
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:52 AM   #10
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ah. I see now. Well, the solution that immediately comes to mind is take a survey of all the vessels moored in the offending area and cull (remove) the ones that ownership cannot be found then remove them from THAT area before they end up drifting onto Navy property.

Liability be damned. IF the owner cannot be found in a reasonable length of time (45 days perhaps), "ownership" reverts to the municipality/state for removal and disposal. I expect hauling and clean up of a floating vessel would be far less expensive than retrieval from a beach somewhere.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:11 AM   #11
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Depends RTF....hauling a boat further up the beach with medium heavy equipment, crushing it up and putting it in a dumpster is already less a towing charge. Its usually the hazmat fees to transport and dispose of it and the legal issue of declaring it "abandoned" that most likely suck up the revenue.

After it washes ashore and maybe the oil and fuel are already dissipated and no cleanup required...even less money.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:26 AM   #12
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
The root problem is there are too many people where you live
Old 02-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #13
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
I’m all for fining the owner for the cost incurred for their uber litter. No money no problem. They can work it off with jail time served.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Enroute to Cape May, NJ
Currently Charleston, SC
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:46 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Iím all for fining the owner for the cost incurred for their uber litter. No money no problem. They can work it off with jail time served.
Prison is a retributive punishment. Assessing fines and cost is a restitutive punishment. A retributive punishment will never become restitutive no matter much you try. Sitting in jail will not generate revenue. In fact, it only serves to add to the operating cost for the county or state.

Now the taxpayers pay for the cost of salvage plus the offender's room and board along with the cost of processing him through the system to get there.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:23 PM   #15
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
free for the taxpayers who have to pick up the tab. Here in San Diego, the current fiscal year will cost the taxpayers $592,000 to pay for impounded/abandoned vessels, to be increased in 2020 to $745,400.
Wow! Seems a little high. Whose brother in law got that contract?
Old 02-26-2019, 01:33 PM   #16
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Wow! Seems a little high. Whose brother in law got that contract?
Add to the graft:

Why so much? An understanding of regulated unsorted refuse, construction materials and hazardous waste disposal procedures will provide the answer.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #17
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Add to the graft:

Why so much? An understanding of regulated unsorted refuse, construction materials and hazardous waste disposal procedures will provide the answer.
I've only disposed of one derelict sailing vessel, and I got the waste company to take it for free for the lead keel.

But, then again, I wasn't in California. I guess that matters more than I know.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:04 PM   #18

City: Poway, CA
So if I want a boat, I should just hang out in Coronado and wait for a "gift" to float to shore.
On a side note: San Diego's beaches and bays are being taken over by homeless folks living in their motorhomes, cars and boats. Almost every beach/bay parking lot has trash, drugs and crap everywhere. There are boat anchored around the coves that are just covered with trash. One of the sailboats washed ashore at Mariners Point last week. It has been sitting on it's side for a week now (guy still living in it). Disappointing.
PD Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:11 PM   #19
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
The root problem is there are too many people where you live
Only because they have not yet discovered what a garden spot Kitimat is! 😁😂
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #20