Fourth of July cruising Pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Here's a few of ours (Not great quality. Sorry.) taken on Saturday before the camera batteries went dead. Trip was a short 3 hour run from Buck's Harbor at the head of East Penobscot Bay, Maine, down the* upper bay, then west through Fox Islands Thorofare (separating North Haven and Vinalhaven Islands) to West Penobscot Bay, then down through Ledbetter Narrows off of Vinalhaven Island to friends' private Island. A good time was had by all.

Relevant charts:

Penobscot Bay and Approaches

Fox Islands Thorofare

-- Edited by dwhatty on Tuesday 5th of July 2011 04:04:40 PM

-- Edited by dwhatty on Tuesday 5th of July 2011 04:07:10 PM

-- Edited by dwhatty on Tuesday 5th of July 2011 04:13:55 PM

-- Edited by dwhatty on Tuesday 5th of July 2011 04:16:10 PM

-- Edited by dwhatty on Tuesday 5th of July 2011 04:17:42 PM

Attachments

• emilyanneat lawreys1_edited.jpg
    emilyanneat lawreys1_edited.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 70
  • mooredatlawrys.jpg
    mooredatlawrys.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 66
  • entrancetoledbetternrws.jpg
    entrancetoledbetternrws.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 68
  • gallyslave.jpg
    gallyslave.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 61
  • foxislandthpingreehse.jpg
    foxislandthpingreehse.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 70
  • ledbetternarrows1.jpg
    ledbetternarrows1.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 68
  • nordhavn.jpg
    nordhavn.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 67
  • ursa.jpg
    ursa.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 67
  • buyboat.jpg
    buyboat.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 66
  • northhaven2.jpg
    northhaven2.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 62
  • northhaven1.jpg
    northhaven1.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 74
  • foxislandthorfare1.jpg
    foxislandthorfare1.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 60
  • underway.jpg
    underway.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 61
  • offofeagleisl.jpg
    offofeagleisl.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 63
  • cattleboat2.jpg
    cattleboat2.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 65
  • cattleboat.jpg
    cattleboat.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 70
  • camdenhills.jpg
    camdenhills.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 72
  • eagleislandlight.jpg
    eagleislandlight.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 73
  • pumpkinislandlight.jpg
    pumpkinislandlight.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 77
  • dscn0196.jpg
    dscn0196.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 75
  • dscn0185.jpg
    dscn0185.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 74
  • dscn0208.jpg
    dscn0208.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 65
  • dscn0229.jpg
    dscn0229.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 75
  • dscn0236.jpg
    dscn0236.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 69
Great photos! When I was a kid, my folks took me to a friends house on Vinalhaven, he drove an old surplus Willys and picked us up at the ferry landing. Took us fishing in his runabout and I caught 7 mackerel at once and then he showed us who to pan fry em for breakfast. wasn't the 4th of July but it was in July. Love that part of the world. Thanks for sharing.

Outstanding, David.* Thanks.

David,

Wonderful pictures. Looks a lot like the San Juan Islands in Washington state. One day I'm going to come out to Maine and spend some time. Want to see the lobster boat builders (especially wood) and see all the old boats everywhere. Boats that one almost never seen in the west are rather common out there. It must be a bit like Europe. Lots of older things. Thanks for the pics.

nomadwilly wrote:
David,

Wonderful pictures. Looks a lot like the San Juan Islands in Washington state. One day I'm going to come out to Maine and spend some time. Want to see the lobster boat builders (especially wood) and see all the old boats everywhere. Boats that one almost never seen in the west are rather common out there. It must be a bit like Europe. Lots of older things. Thanks for the pics.

When you refer to older things, I hope that you are not referring to me, however I might resemble that remark.

The only Maine wooden lobster boat builder that I know of (both work and recreational boats) is Peter Kass. Works of art. There may be others tucked away.

Yes, though, lots of wooden boats, both new and old. The Eggemoggin Reach Regatta at the beginning of August, although all blowboats but with a few wooden power boat groupies, is a sight to behold.

Love the schooner photos, particularly since schooners*are the handsomest/sexiest sailboats.

Nice! I can taste the lobstah!

I wanna know the make/model of the boat in the 12th pic with the dark hull!! That is the pic that is just before what looks like a nordhavn.

Great pics!

Woodsong wrote:
I wanna know the make/model of the boat in the 12th pic with the dark hull!! That is the pic that is just before what looks like a nordhavn.

Great pics!
*Yeah, me too.* The black hull really sets it off!
biggrin.gif

Woodsong wrote:

Great pics!
*I think its this boat (Google search strikes again. Sorry Baker & Doug)

Of course, it would look better with a white hull.
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by dwhatty on Tuesday 5th of July 2011 06:31:47 PM

I thought it looked like a Lord Neslon but forgot they made a 43. Love their lines, even if interiors are small! :)

Really nice photos, Dave and Emily. Those shots of the short cruises on this site really makes one swoon, and I find New England and the PNW the most interesting for Trawler watching.

healhustler wrote:
Really nice photos, Dave and Emily. Those shots of the short cruises on this site really makes one swoon, and I find New England and the PNW the most interesting for Trawler watching.
*But Florida is warmer in the winter and allows year round boating. If only one could have it all. (Quiet Seahorse).

dwhatty wrote:(Quiet Seahorse).
******* LOL* Great photos...I stuck a couple in your album for viewing next winter. LOL

Late to this, but have to say, what beautiful images.**

Looks like a perfect time of year to be cruising in Maine!

Nice!*** JohnP

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom