Old 11-29-2009, 04:40 AM   #21
FF
Guru

RE: Found a fuel leak...

One interesting concept from the S. Dashew board to fix oil leaks is to shmeer the outside with silicone and apply a vacume to the engine.

Seemed to work for his J Deere marinization , but don't know how you could vacume a fuel injection pump?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:34 AM   #22
Jon

City: spragge
Vessel Name: Isle of Skye
Vessel Model: Bruckmann trawler

Oil leak is not on the fuel pump, but*between *the adaptor plate and the block. Concept of vacuum sounds interesting but I have some concerns on what it might do to all of the other 37 year old gaskets.
I found some "Waterweld" by J_B Weld, so, since I'm now up against a bulkhead in New Iberia, waiting out some crappy weather,I may try that.
Jon
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #23
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Jon,
I am going to try to get by my Diesel shop and take some real CAV pictures thursday with the cover off. A suggestion on repairing your leak. First I would clean the area thoroughly with brake cleaner. It washes all of the oil and then evaporates. We use this all of the time to locate and confirm leaks. Wash from top to bottom. Run your engine again and confirm where the leak is coming from. Clean it back up. If the leak is at the adapter you should be able to loosen the bolts 2-3 turns. I would then GENTLY pry the adapter up from the block while watching the gasket with a flashlight. It is possible torn- either way you need to be careful not to tear it more. If it is still stuck to the block I would lift the adapter up the 1/8" you now can and wash the gap thoroughly with... You guessed it- brake cleaner. Keep it lifted, could use wooden kitchen matches, and allow to dry. The cleaner will not hurt anything internally.
Now I would apply anarobic sealer (Loctite 518), use a toothpick to be sure it covers all areas, pull the matches and tighten back mown. Anarobic sealer gets hard when squeezed- we use it often to seal machined areas on transmissions and critic applications. The gasket already in place will not be affected and if it is torn this can fill and seal the tear.
I hope I am giving you advice that applies. Without a picture I am making my best guess. Good luck!
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:10 AM   #24
Jon

Steve,
Many thanks.
That sounds like a workable solution. I'm en route now but will get necessary materials once I get to a marina near Galveston.
I'm monitoring oil consumption and pick up by the diaper and it truly seems to be a weep only.
Jon
Old 12-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #25
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

OK Jon,I went by me diesel shop this morning (which I shamelessly plugged with his business card) and Ronald gave me the low down on the CAV pump. The 4 and 6 cylinder pump is the same housing, and the top cover is the same on all of them. Pump 3 shows an end view where your gear would attach on a 4.236- driven by gearing in the front cover. Pump 4 is an example of a "Cover Kit" that Ronald sells. The o rings are 2 different covers- but he told me that any quality o ring you could purchase would work fine. Pump 5 is an over flashed pic of the data plate, but you may be able to see the bottom line of the tag reads PS61/850/6/2640. The important number here is the 6. It is the governor setting code. Pump 6 is the chart that shows how to use the code. On the unit in our picture we are in location 3 on the throttle shaft link and location 2 on the governor arm. If your spring were to come loose you will know where to reinstall it I added this information for CharlesThis may not help you now- but hopefully you can use it on your next reseal job.
Attached Thumbnails
pump 1.jpg   pump 2.jpg   pump 3.jpg   pump 4.jpg   pump 5.jpg  

pump 6.jpg  
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #26
Jon

Closing the loop on my oil leak - the oil leak from the adaptor flange below the fuel injection pump was increasing, with the diapers getting soaked after 30 hours, so I decided to pull it apart and see what I had.I could not find an exploded view of my HT 6354 so didnt know if i was dealing with a paper face gasket or something else. Pulled off the injection pump(which doesnt look anything like Steve's pictures ) Made up a puller plate from an old Fortress fluke and when I got the adaptor out, it was fitted with 3" o-ring which was hard and out of round. Sourced and fitted an new ring, cleaned up the faces with brake cleaner and used Permatex ( formerly Loctite) anaerobic gasket, reassembled it, fitted and bled the pump - Bob's your Uncle -seems to be fixed
Jon