Old 08-15-2015, 10:50 PM   #1
Guru

City: Here
NY State tomorrow

Sharon and I are leaving tomorrow morning for Wilson, NY then on to Oswego into the NY State Canal System, Seneca Lake then across to Tonawanda and Lake Erie, Returning to Toronto through the Welland Canal.

Keep an eye out for "DIRT FREE" and say hello.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0483.JPG   IMG_0481.JPG  
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:56 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Dirt Free is looking great. Have a really good trip, and don't forget to post pictures.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:32 PM   #3
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Damn, I'm gonna miss you by a couple of weeks. I'll be making the Seneca lake run when I get home. Have a great trip!

+1 on Dirt Free looking great. I love a counter stern.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:57 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
If anyone is on Seneca Lk feel free to make a stop at Sampson or give us a shout on vhf. Happy to share local knowledge and a cold refreshment.
Don
'08 MS 34 HT
."Bacchus"
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:06 AM   #5
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
+ 1 on Dirt Free! Love this boat perhaps more than any Jay Benford design. Can't quite tell in the photos..how much of a side deck do you have at the pilothouse door?

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #6

City: Trois-Rivieres, Quebec
Vessel Name: Choppy II
Vessel Model: Jeanneau NC 1095
I did "this" loop last month (Quebec, Cape Vincent, Oswego, Erie Canal to Buffalo, Welland Canal, Niagara on the Lake, Toronto, Trenton, Kingston and back to Quebec). Wonderful trip, Erie Canal is very quiet, Niagara on the Lake is a very nice place to discover (easy access with public transportation to Niagara Falls).

I stayed at the Island Yacht Club in Toronto, a great marina to stop, very calm with an easy access to the city. You probably know it but you need a special permit (20$ for visitors) to enter the Inner Harbour in Toronto.

Have a nice trip !
Dominic
dvoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #7

City: Markham
Vessel Name: currently boatless
Have a great trip Wallace!

David
David Rive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:59 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
+ 1 on Dirt Free! Love this boat perhaps more than any Jay Benford design. Can't quite tell in the photos..how much of a side deck do you have at the pilothouse door?
Side deck is about 14" wide.
Just about to leave Wilson for Rochester.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:31 AM   #9

City: Cape Coral FL\Grand Island NY
Vessel Name: Missy
Vessel Model: 1997 Mainship 350
We are live-aboards on the Niagara River, let me know if you need any local info or help when you get to Tonawanda. Have a great trip!
ronlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #10
Guru

City: LI or Fla
Good for you, safe passage!
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:26 AM   #11
Guru

How's the trip going? Where are you guys at?
Old 08-20-2015, 08:16 AM   #12
Guru

Sitting under our huge 12X13 bimini enjoying coffee in the rain in Baldwinsville NY. Tomorrow ..... Seneca Falls.

I have never understood why this system is so little used it is my favourite cruising ground. NY State could use some marketing help. Most of my Canadian friends don't even know it's here. 2000 kilometers of beautiful little towns, fascinating small town museums, entertainment or some kind of festival every weekend, free docking ( couple of spots will charge $5), free wifi. many spots with free power, some spots with free laundry facilities, free or $200 pumpouts, the list goes on.

I don't know how long NY can keep pouring money into this system with so little payback but I'm glad they do. Thank you NY and all the very hospitable people of upstate NY.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I have never understood why this system is so little used it is my favourite cruising ground. NY State could use some marketing help. Most of my Canadian friends don't even know it's here. 2000 kilometers of beautiful little towns, fascinating small town museums, entertainment or some kind of festival every weekend, free docking ( couple of spots will charge $5), free wifi. many spots with free power, some spots with free laundry facilities, free or $200 pumpouts, the list goes on.

Methinks perchance you're missing one of these, "."

As to the reasons for it's moderate use.

1. Outside of major boat population areas, even the ICW is not really that heavily used, although more so than the NY Canals.

2. Seasonal. It's a lot more difficult to have a profitable ice cream shop in the Northeast too. At the best your usage is going to be only 40% or so that you'd have in a warmer year round boating climate.

3. Not conducive to weekend escapes, but only to longer slower excursions. This narrows down the demographics of the boaters considerably. Most people don't have the time to enjoy the Canals.

4. Slow, lots of locks. This is demographics of customer again. This pace isn't for a large group of people, especially younger and this item is somewhat related to the point above.

5. By many it is not seen as a destination but as a means to get somewhere only. In fact, many who start out seeing it only as somewhere to pass through find it far more to their liking than they expected. Then tying to this, it is an area you have to seasonally clear. If I'm looping, I hit it as soon as it opens up late spring and I am on a bit of a schedule needing to clear Chicago and head south in that same season.

6. Very little local cruising as the towns along the Canals are all small.

None of this is to detract from the great area it can be, just simply to answer your question.

Recreation and entertainment is seldom self supporting. I do agree they could do some things marketing wise to build the popularity some, but not a lot. In fact, building it's use isn't going to really impact the losses significantly. It would take commercial traffic for that and it can't be a shipping route. If anything, adding traffic would simply require more resources to manage it.

Some things we have to decide whether to value for their intangible values. City parks, national parks. Even the arts.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Methinks perchance you're missing one of these, "."
Absolutely correct "$2.00 pumpouts"
Old 08-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Sitting under our huge 12X13 bimini enjoying coffee in the rain in Baldwinsville NY. Tomorrow ..... Seneca Falls.

...I don't know how long NY can keep pouring money into this system with so little payback but I'm glad they do. Thank you NY and all the very hospitable people of upstate NY.
Ahh, sounds delightful. I'll be doing the same thing in about a week. Hopefully with a bit less rain. My sister lives there, so it's always a stop for me. Doesn't look like there are any concerts at Paper Mill Island tonight, so at least you'll get a quiet night's sleep. If you're bored later on, and in the mood for some mediocre pizza, It's trivia night at Pizza Man. It's fun, usually lots of locals, but not over crowded. Be prepared with a good team name. Last time we were 'Abraham Lincoln's Beard.' There's a friendly Irish guy who runs it. Pizza Man is on your right a couple of blocks past the big bridge on Syracuse St. And of course, there's always the B'ville diner.

I don't know how they make the canals work, either. But I'm glad they do, and I hope they keep doing it! Happy to hear my fellow New Yorkers are being nice, haha.

I'd be interested to hear more about Seneca Falls. I've never been there, but I'll be headed that way soon, myself. Happy cruising!
Old 08-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
I'd be interested to hear more about Seneca Falls. I've never been there, but I'll be headed that way soon, myself. Happy cruising!
I have a little bit about the western end of the canal system (including Seneca Falls) on my website. Cruising the NY State Canal System
Old 08-20-2015, 06:33 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
I have a little bit about the western end of the canal system (including Seneca Falls) on my website. Cruising the NY State Canal System

Yes sir, I've read through that page a few times. Very handy. Between that and Active Captain, I have several trips mapped out.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #18
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
DirtFree; like the looks of your boat. Still, do you miss wide side decks and strong railings?
Old 08-20-2015, 09:13 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
DirtFree; like the looks of your boat. Still, do you miss wide side decks and strong railings?
I do miss the wide decks. Over the last twelve months we have done 17 new custom windows, new hatch, propane stove, propane locker, paint, non-skid, refrigeration bow thruster, all new AC and DC systems, totally rebuilt the interior, new bimini frame & canvas, cut 8' off the mast and now use the boom to swing a hammock over the water, bow platform, windlass ..... we'll get to the railings this winter and a few other things.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:27 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
I do miss the wide decks. Over the last twelve months we have done 17 new custom windows, new hatch, propane stove, propane locker, paint, non-skid, refrigeration bow thruster, all new AC and DC systems, totally rebuilt the interior, new bimini frame & canvas, cut 8' off the mast and now use the boom to swing a hammock over the water, bow platform, windlass ..... we'll get to the railings this winter and a few other things.
Is Dirt Free for sale? There's vessel that looks suspiciously like yours listed on YW. If so, she's looking so much cleaner now. The white paint on the brow really helped. The new window frames look much better too. You're doing a hell of a job!