Old 12-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #21
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Looks good!!!

As a fellow single engine guy who ran without a bow thruster for a few years, I finally installed one. It was well worth it as I often maneuver alone in tight areas. Truly a game changer. My opinion is the bow thruster is about five time more handy than a stern thruster.

Some boats are relatively easy to install, some the fore foot is already crammed with stuff. Worth taking a look.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #22

City: myrtle beach
Vessel Name: Jubilee
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Looks good!!!

As a fellow single engine guy who ran without a bow thruster for a few years, I finally installed one. It was well worth it as I often maneuver alone in tight areas. Truly a game changer. My opinion is the bow thruster is about five time more handy than a stern thruster.

Some boats are relatively easy to install, some the fore foot is already crammed with stuff. Worth taking a look.
Out of curiosity, I actually got a couple of quotes for a thruster. My wife and I looked at the numbers and we both said the same thing. No way. The quotes were at $12,000 and since we're only cruising six months out of the year now, that amounts to about three season's worth of cruising. The value, at least to us wasn't there. I know, call me crazy...
Sidclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:57 PM   #23
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Know that going forward, your turning point is about 1/3 of the way aft of your bow. Consider that that vulnerable tender adds about 6’ to your length. You are effectively swinging the ass end of a 50’ boat around that rudder. Look carefully at the size and position of that rudder - and the distance from the prop. Physics is not on your side.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:16 PM   #24
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
There’s a lot of great equipment on that boat - love the Gulf Coast Filter for example. And a lot of thought went into outfitting it. But please consider how your wife will feel after just one docking fiasco.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:33 AM   #25
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Aruna
Vessel Model: Kristen Yachts 50 Pilot House
Congratulations! That engine room is to die for - so organized, clean, and lots of space. I also like the upgrades - big windlass, nice winch and davit system, etc.
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:55 AM   #26
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidclark View Post
Out of curiosity, I actually got a couple of quotes for a thruster. My wife and I looked at the numbers and we both said the same thing. No way. The quotes were at $12,000 and since we're only cruising six months out of the year now, that amounts to about three season's worth of cruising. The value, at least to us wasn't there. I know, call me crazy...
I think you'll do just fine! Just plan your dockage, use spring line and enjoy your cruising.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #27
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Dang, that’s a clean MT. I also have a windy boat, and while I rarely use
my rather anemic thruster, it does buffer the lateral liabilities a bit.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemitchell View Post
Congratulations! That engine room is to die for - so organized, clean, and lots of space. I also like the upgrades - big windlass, nice winch and davit system, etc.

The anchoring system and davits were really important to us. Once we leave our home marina on cruise, I doubt we'll spend more then six or seven total days in a marina in that five or six month period. The solar panels were a fantastic bonus, furthering the ease in which we can be off the grid.

I thought my engines rooms were clean and organized, but I don't hold a candle to this guy's efforts in there. There was no odor at all. Just a good clean mechanical smell.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #29

City: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Trojan F44 FBMY
A nice find, sir! Enjoy.
Flybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:06 PM   #30

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Name: Vagabond
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
Looked at a couple of Marine Traders before deciding on a Grand Banks 42. One problem they all had was wet stringers. The were almost always 100% moisture reading. Maybe the engine room is so clean because the stringers were replaced. One of the boats had a jet pump system for the bow thruster, they are easier to install and to maintain. Did not seem as effective but did work good. Happy motoring.
ReefDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #31
Guru

City: Everett WA.
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
Very clean ! Nice find and congrats !
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #32

City: Prescott, Arizona, USA
She's a beauty. I like that fuel manifold, everything is laid out. Congratulations on your purchase and fair winds to you!!!~
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefDean View Post
Looked at a couple of Marine Traders before deciding on a Grand Banks 42. One problem they all had was wet stringers. The were almost always 100% moisture reading. Maybe the engine room is so clean because the stringers were replaced. One of the boats had a jet pump system for the bow thruster, they are easier to install and to maintain. Did not seem as effective but did work good. Happy motoring.

Yep, I know what you mean. At our budget we knew it would take some time to find that needle in a haystack. The first boat we surveyed, a Nova Heritage East, didn't get past two hours into the survey before I called it off. The second boat, a Symbol, made it about that long as well before we called that one off. So we went into this one with eyes wide open and was pleasantly surprised.

Our friends owned a Grand Banks 36 and yes, that was a nice boat.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #34
WDR

City: Pensacola
Vessel Model: 1983 Albin 36
Congrats!

Outstanding find, depending on that percentage paid.

Gave me plenty of ideas (like those battery boxes) for mine. Will have to save that one for the same reason as Al had stated.
WDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Stuart FL Alameda CA
Vessel Name: Monarch III
Vessel Model: Bluewater Yachts 40' Pilothouse Trawler
Looks like a very nice Christmas present! Have fun. I looked at a Marine Trader some time ago. Very well appointed and good bones.
Brusky1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:49 PM   #36

City: Rancho Bernardo
Vessel Name: Pearl Grace
Vessel Model: Marine Trader/Sun Deck 44
I have a 43 Marine Trader Sundeck 1985 with twin 135 Lehmans. I envy the neatness and organization of your engine room and solar power, something for me to shoot for. Congratulations to you and the wife.
Derik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:22 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derik View Post
I have a 43 Marine Trader Sundeck 1985 with twin 135 Lehmans. I envy the neatness and organization of your engine room and solar power, something for me to shoot for. Congratulations to you and the wife.
Thank you! Plans are to bring it from Deltaville Va. to Myrtle Beach between January 11th and 24th. I think I have crew lined up or if not I'll single-hand it down...we shall see. In either case, I'm chomping at the bit to really go through the boat and see just exactly what I have.