Found The Boat, Pulled The Trigger!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidclark

Vessel Name
Jubilee
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Well, after a two year hiatus and patient searching, we found the boat. Closing on Monday. Here she is... https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987/marine-trader-sundeck-fb-3566788/

Not sure why she was on the market as long as she was. The pics don't do the boat justice. Worst thing we found on survey was a mis-connected generator wire. The engine room is as clean and organized as the pics show. No delam or no soft decks anywhere and I paid nowhere near asking price. I'll upgrade the electronics when I get her back to Myrtle Beach. Feels good to be back in the saddle!

Well layed out! Great detail in the mechanical areas. Love the room around the single Ford. Lack of exterior wood a great plus! Your squirrel hunting has found a real chestnut.
as a result of your post, I am adding this model to my mental "Next Boat" dream catolog

Congrats on your new boat. Sure looks nice. Have fun.

Nice! Enjoy and safe travels.

Sweet! Nice and clean. We bought our 2013 Beneteau ST 35 up in Deltaville and brought her down to Murrells Inlet back in Aug. Where will you be keeping her?

You have a perfect boat for Pacific Northwest, coastal BC and Alaska Panhandle cruising. The hard top over the cockpit is perfect to keep our rains at bay.

Looks to have a good robust windlass and a most desirable anchor.
Those two items will give you a good night's sleep

Most of the systems on the boat are new, like the anchoring system. The chain hasn't even been wet yet.

Sweet! Nice and clean. We bought our 2013 Beneteau ST 35 up in Deltaville and brought her down to Murrells Inlet back in Aug. Where will you be keeping her?

She's coming down to Osprey Marina in Myrtle Beach. Hope to get her here in January.

I do have a question about the engine. It's a Lehman 135. Are there different versions of this engine?

Well, after a two year hiatus and patient searching, we found the boat. Closing on Monday. Here she is... https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987/marine-trader-sundeck-fb-3566788/

Not sure why she was on the market as long as she was. The pics don't do the boat justice. Worst thing we found on survey was a mis-connected generator wire. The engine room is as clean and organized as the pics show. No delam or no soft decks anywhere and I paid nowhere near asking price. I'll upgrade the electronics when I get her back to Myrtle Beach. Feels good to be back in the saddle!

Congrats! I may have found a vessel that meets our needs. But I am struggling with making an offer as it has been 15 years since I've bought or sold a boat. I am trying to educate myself on today's market. You say you did not pay near the asking price. Can you help me out by telling me what percentage off the asking price you received?

Thanks!

That is a nice looking boat and it sounds like you got it at a good price. You will learn to love that N.A. F.L. The boat looks very well appointed and accessorized.

Im not real familiar with Marine Traders but those windows on the port side look like replacements. Or are they stock? I like the metal framing, mine are wood and are problematic.

pete

Congrats! I may have found a vessel that meets our needs. But I am struggling with making an offer as it has been 15 years since I've bought or sold a boat. I am trying to educate myself on today's market. You say you did not pay near the asking price. Can you help me out by telling me what percentage off the asking price you received?

Thanks!

Hi Hammer, I sent you a PM. Take a look and shoot me a call...

That is a nice looking boat and it sounds like you got it at a good price. You will learn to love that N.A. F.L. The boat looks very well appointed and accessorized.

Im not real familiar with Marine Traders but those windows on the port side look like replacements. Or are they stock? I like the metal framing, mine are wood and are problematic.

pete

Hey Pete, both starboard and port side windows have all been replaced! I couldn't find any active leaks around any of the existing windows. It looks like there was a small leak around one salon window in the past. Just enough to discolor the wood. The laminate itself is still very sound in that area. The only water damage was found in the master stateroom. It was under the port sliding window. An area about a foot and a half long. The yard was in the process of repairing that area. The owner said he spent two summers on the engine room restoration. I believe him.

No private message has arrived as of 5 pm EST.

A single diesel (modest hp), no thruster, restricted aft deck access, and a LOT of windage will be challenging to handle and dock - I bet that factored into the price. It can be done with experience and preparation but this is not a preferred setup for learning or if mobility challenged.

A single diesel (modest hp), no thruster, restricted aft deck access, and a LOT of windage will be challenging to handle and dock - I bet that factored into the price. It can be done with experience and preparation but this is not a preferred setup for learning or if mobility challenged.

Nah, none of that factored into the price. I had no preference over a single or twins as long as they were maintained. If it had a thruster, great, if not that was ok too. The only hard and fast was it had to be a sundeck per the wife. I based the offer on condition and what I thought the boat was worth to me. :)

“Not sure why she was on the market as long as she was.”

I was explaining why - that boat is going to be a challenge to maneuver. I say that as some who has owned and cruised single engine trawlers for almost 40 years.

You must have great skills - good luck with your new purchase.

Fine-looking boat! Congratulations. Keep us posted on your trip bringing her home.

Looks good!!!

As a fellow single engine guy who ran without a bow thruster for a few years, I finally installed one. It was well worth it as I often maneuver alone in tight areas. Truly a game changer. My opinion is the bow thruster is about five time more handy than a stern thruster.

Some boats are relatively easy to install, some the fore foot is already crammed with stuff. Worth taking a look.

Looks good!!!

As a fellow single engine guy who ran without a bow thruster for a few years, I finally installed one. It was well worth it as I often maneuver alone in tight areas. Truly a game changer. My opinion is the bow thruster is about five time more handy than a stern thruster.

Some boats are relatively easy to install, some the fore foot is already crammed with stuff. Worth taking a look.

Out of curiosity, I actually got a couple of quotes for a thruster. My wife and I looked at the numbers and we both said the same thing. No way. The quotes were at $12,000 and since we're only cruising six months out of the year now, that amounts to about three season's worth of cruising. The value, at least to us wasn't there. I know, call me crazy...:)

Know that going forward, your turning point is about 1/3 of the way aft of your bow. Consider that that vulnerable tender adds about 6’ to your length. You are effectively swinging the ass end of a 50’ boat around that rudder. Look carefully at the size and position of that rudder - and the distance from the prop. Physics is not on your side.

There’s a lot of great equipment on that boat - love the Gulf Coast Filter for example. And a lot of thought went into outfitting it. But please consider how your wife will feel after just one docking fiasco.

Congratulations! That engine room is to die for - so organized, clean, and lots of space. I also like the upgrades - big windlass, nice winch and davit system, etc.

Out of curiosity, I actually got a couple of quotes for a thruster. My wife and I looked at the numbers and we both said the same thing. No way. The quotes were at $12,000 and since we're only cruising six months out of the year now, that amounts to about three season's worth of cruising. The value, at least to us wasn't there. I know, call me crazy...:)

I think you'll do just fine! Just plan your dockage, use spring line and enjoy your cruising.

Dang, that’s a clean MT. I also have a windy boat, and while I rarely use
my rather anemic thruster, it does buffer the lateral liabilities a bit.

Congratulations! That engine room is to die for - so organized, clean, and lots of space. I also like the upgrades - big windlass, nice winch and davit system, etc.

The anchoring system and davits were really important to us. Once we leave our home marina on cruise, I doubt we'll spend more then six or seven total days in a marina in that five or six month period. The solar panels were a fantastic bonus, furthering the ease in which we can be off the grid. :)

I thought my engines rooms were clean and organized, but I don't hold a candle to this guy's efforts in there. There was no odor at all. Just a good clean mechanical smell.

Looked at a couple of Marine Traders before deciding on a Grand Banks 42. One problem they all had was wet stringers. The were almost always 100% moisture reading. Maybe the engine room is so clean because the stringers were replaced. One of the boats had a jet pump system for the bow thruster, they are easier to install and to maintain. Did not seem as effective but did work good. Happy motoring.

Back
Top Bottom