Old 09-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #1

Found 2 but which one should we buy?

After months of searching we've found 2 boats that we like and trying to decide which one to make an offer on. So thought I'd ask the members their opinions. Both are Taiwan boats.
The first one has Cat 210NA engines, generator replaced in 2007, fuel tanks replaced with aluminum, hardtop over flybridge and aft deck. Windows show no or minor leaking. There is a spot near the shower where the floor is wet.
The 2nd has Perkins 200 hp engines, older Westerbeke generator. Fuel tanks are iron and covered with insulation and has an inspection port. They appear to be painted and there are no signs of rust anywhere and no leaks and they are full. Bimini top over flybridge and hardtop over aft deck. Windows show no or minor leaking, but near entry door the veneer is peeling, plywood under is dry.
We think the 2nd is a prettier boat but concerned about the fuel tanks at some point may need replacing.
What are your thoughts?
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:34 AM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
I can see your dilemma, folivier. The factors you list do sort of cancel each other out.

More info would be necessary to offer intelligent advice (such as how long you expect to own), but allow me to share my list of criteria for a boat - any boat. In order of importance, it must be: 1) safe, 2) reliable, 3) efficient, and 4) good looking. Maybe you could try assigning points for each factor on a scale of one to ten, then compare the two boats.
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:11 AM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
We bought the "black iron" boat and soon we were replacing tanks .. w new aluminum. And the choice of aluminum was not from a TF poll.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #4
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
I also bought a boat recently with old fuel tanks that I expect to replace at some point. They are not leaking, knock on wood. I will replace with aluminium when there is any sign of leaking. I got a quote of around 10 grand and promptly started a reserve account that I put money into when I can so the bite of the cost to replace won't be a strain.

Buy the boat you fell in love with and prepare to open your wallet. I am now sending my daughter to the marine store everyday so I can get work done on the boat I fell in love with. It truly is a labor of love.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
We've got the iron tanks, the ceiling tiles, and the old Perkins twins. The boat has its issues and age but nearly all the cosmetics are good. We've also got a boat whose looks and layout we like.

Mechanicals are all very interesting but there are no guarantees about any part of 'em. It's not as though boats were as good as Honda cars and could be expected to cause you no grief.

As a retired architect and a woodchuck, I say go for what you want to be in and look at.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #6
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
All above are right on. I personally would be swayed in the direction of the CAT NA's, new tanks and genset. Those are big ticket items. Not worrying about tank failure would be worth a lot to me. I'd rather spend those dollars on upgrades of electronics etc.

Replacing tanks is like saying we are only going to replace the counter tops in our kitchen. One thing leads to another. YMMV. Good luck with your choice.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ms. D. "Buy the boat you fell in love with and prepare to open your wallet." Sorry. I HAVE to disagree with the first part of this statement. Unless one is independently wealthy one can EASILY open one's wallet to the extent that only lint remains IF one makes a decision based on emotions. I strongly suggest a heavy dose of pragmatism before putting in any offers. It follows IF one is indeed independently wealthy one is not shopping for used vessels (for the most part).
Old 09-10-2016, 11:28 AM   #8
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ms. D. "Buy the boat you fell in love with and prepare to open your wallet." Sorry. I HAVE to disagree with the first part of this statement. Unless one is independently wealthy one can EASILY open one's wallet to the extent that only lint remains IF one makes a decision based on emotions. I strongly suggest a heavy dose of pragmatism before putting in any offers. It follows IF one is indeed independently wealthy one is not shopping for used vessels (for the most part).
A boat is a labor of love whether you buy it new or used. Boats also cost money to maintain. One does have to have some money to even consider a large vessel. I am lucky, I can do most of the work myself with the exception of the tanks which I have set up an account for eventual replacement.

The only boat owners I have ever met without money to maintain it are the ones whose boats in the marina look like they belong in a boat graveyard.

I did not make my decision on emotion as you say but rather on the survey. I am currently working on it in my spare time to make it "my own". Just because I'm a woman please don't mistake me for weak please.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have never owned either Cats or Perkins, but if I were looking at two boats I would look into parts availibility and cost. I have been told that some Perkins parts are obsolete or very expensive. The tank issue would weigh heavily also. But having said that, you gotta buy what you love. Just saying if you really like them both, then look at tanks, parts issues, etc.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #10

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
You crazy don't buy a boat
find friends with boat
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #11

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: Pacemaker 1990 37' Convertible
RT- agree totally. There are very few boat problems that money and time cannot fix, it just depends on how much of both you are willing to part with. Our boat isn't the only thing we have going on in life, therefore we take a conservative approach, try to do things ourselves, and wait on things that can be done later.

Safety and operational things take priority. Color of the curtains can be fixed later.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #12
Guru

City: Trenton
Buy the boat that speaks to your heart.
They all cost too much to operate and maintain but if you're in love you don't care.
If you don't like the boat you will resent every penny.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #13
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Newer engines, genset and tanks? Hard top on flybridge? All else being equal, I'd go with #1. I have nothing against old Perkins 200HP engines; I have two of them. But I'd trade them for two 2007 Cat's in a heartbeat.

I also have old fuel tanks. Mine are aluminum, and there have been no confirmed leaks yet, but the thought of having to replace them keeps me awake nights.

I agree that any boat can suck up all your time and money. But it makes sense to try and keep the odds in your favor.

Is boat #2 THAT much prettier?
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #14

A couple more differences. Boat #1 the Cats are original but generator was replaced in 2007. Topsides are painted and it is dull and chalky. The inside has more wear since it was a live aboard for 12 years then a charter for about 4 years. Batteries are 1 year old and wet cell 8D. Portholes are aluminum and have some corrosion.
Boat #2 is nice and shiny outside and the inside is in better condition. Both boats have about the same # of engine hours. Has new 8D AGM batteries. Portholes are stainless. Was used for short trips and as weekend condo.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #15
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. f. Between the two? Definitely boat #2. Try to have the tanks inspected if possible to ease your concerns. $.02...
Old 09-10-2016, 03:42 PM   #16
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Until a hull and mechanical surveys are done it is all a bit of a crapshoot. Are these the only two you are considering? If yes, find one that is newer, better shape, fewer needed upgrades and more expensive. Then make your offer to bring it in line with the other two. You never know.

And I'm with RT, forget about emotions ruling the day. Me, I'd avoid a 12 year live aboard.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #17
Guru

City: Trenton
Vanna White is pointing to the boat behind door number 2.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #18
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: bout’ time
Vessel Model: Grady White 282 Sailfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
If you don't like the boat you will resent every penny.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:13 PM   #19
Guru

City: gulf coast
unless the boats are same I suggest trying to imagine living on them. Do they have comfortable places to eat, read, watch TV can you sit up in bed without hitting the overhead? Is the shower suitable? Is there a shaded even weatherproof place to watch sunsets? believe it or not you won't spend all the time working on or driving the boat.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:47 PM   #20
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Write down on a "T" chart for each boat all the + and - features of it. Include everything, not just the ones you posted. That will give you a better picture of each boat. Then comes the hard part, the comparison decision, but at least you are starting with a clear picture of each boat. You may have to input "which feels right" in the end.
I was once told if you can`t decide whether you want to eat an orange or an apple, your desire for each is more or less equal, and it doesn`t matter much which you choose. You might come to that point.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote