Old 09-11-2016, 06:35 AM   #21
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Topsides are painted and it is dull and chalky. The inside has more wear since it was a live aboard for 12 years then a charter for about 4 years....Portholes are aluminum and have some corrosion.
These issues might tip the scales in favor of #2 for me.

I see your dilemma. BayView offered a good strategy; imaging living on each. Also, imagine picking each, and whether will you regret not picking the other some day.

For example, if you pick the one with the painted hull (who DOES that??), then you'll always wish you had a shiny one. Factor in how much it would cost to strip and awl-grip.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:20 AM   #22

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
Have any pics ???

kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:38 PM   #23

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sanctuary Of Sanity
Vessel Model: 1982 47' Bluewater
Did you choose one?
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:19 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
After months of searching we've found 2 boats that we like and trying to decide which one to make an offer on. So thought I'd ask the members their opinions. Both are Taiwan boats.
The first one has Cat 210NA engines, generator replaced in 2007, fuel tanks replaced with aluminum, hardtop over flybridge and aft deck. Windows show no or minor leaking. There is a spot near the shower where the floor is wet.
The 2nd has Perkins 200 hp engines, older Westerbeke generator. Fuel tanks are iron and covered with insulation and has an inspection port. They appear to be painted and there are no signs of rust anywhere and no leaks and they are full. Bimini top over flybridge and hardtop over aft deck. Windows show no or minor leaking, but near entry door the veneer is peeling, plywood under is dry.
We think the 2nd is a prettier boat but concerned about the fuel tanks at some point may need replacing.
What are your thoughts?
Unbelievable...this thread has gone into two pages, asking opinions on two boats, where the only issues and features discussed are the engines, fuel tanks, and where some patches of damp have been detected, and not one person has asked what make the blessed boats are..!

Please, as everyone seems unbelievably well-mannered & restrained, (I'm sure they must be bursting to know), I will take it on myself, on behalf of us all...please tell us what they are and post some pics if possible. The tanks and the engines are not, in the end, what usually clinches the deal, I suspect.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:59 AM   #25

We've decided on boat #1 and our broker is furiously negotiating as I write this.
A few other reasons why we decided on #1. We spoke with the owner/seller and were able to ask a multitude of questions and review his maintenance records going back 15+ years. Boat #2 is an estate sale so there are many unanswered questions with a gap of a year or 2 of no usage or maintenance.
#1 has an open sun deck with hardtop and no enclosure, #2 is more closed in. We prefer sunscreens which we can roll down when needed rather than an "oxygen tent". We can board #1 and start using immediately, #2 would take a bit of work.
We are giving up a lower helm but after visiting with Deckape (thanks for taking the time to show us your beautiful trawler and really nice marina) we decided that was something we could give up.
So basically the decision came down to #1 having newer aluminum fuel tanks, newer quieter generator, open sun deck, hardtop over helm, and more history available. The costs of probable fuel tank replacement over our ownership was the main reason to pass on #2.
Hopefully we'll finalize the deal over the next day or 2 and have more information.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #26

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Echo
Vessel Model: Transtar 50'
Congratulations. The Cat 210NAs have a reputation as solid engines. We love ours. Post some pics of the boat when you get a chance!
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:54 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Ok, so he's settled on one of them, but again I ask...what are they..?
Old 09-20-2016, 01:46 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Ok, so he's settled on one of them, but again I ask...what are they..?
Maybe he`ll tell us after the deal is done, he could be keeping his quarry quiet in case someone else spoils the party.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:04 AM   #29
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I am glad I have a lower helm and an upper helm.
For me, when we have friends-family on the boat, the lower helm is much better.
I find I use it much more than the other regardless.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Lakeville, CT
Hey ....... I'm a new newbie and looking at a Cheoy Lee ....... Any general comments before I go further ........ Dispatch
Dispatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:56 PM   #31

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
What model of Cheoy Lee

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:04 AM   #32

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1474434004.954656.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	56497

This is my 1987 52' Efficient model. Good bones, well built. Have just completed a 12 month renovation project in Houston and am headed east, now in New Orleans. Headed to Pensacola in October.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:55 AM   #33
Veteran Member

McGill ...... What make, year and how much were the renovations (if U don't mind disclosing - approximately). What areas were the ones you attacked first - I.e. most critical. I'm looking at a Cheoy Lee 55 LRC ...... 1985 ...... Scary .....!! If I go for it, I suspect I'll be doing much the same ....... Dispatch
Old 09-21-2016, 04:58 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Absolutely ...... Make and year are good starters ....!!
Old 09-21-2016, 06:12 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
Attachment 56497

This is my 1987 52' Efficient model. Good bones, well built. Have just completed a 12 month renovation project in Houston and am headed east, now in New Orleans. Headed to Pensacola in October.

MC
You said you are in NO from Houston, are the IHNC locks open !!!!
Old 09-21-2016, 03:24 PM   #36

Negative. I went offshore.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #37

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
Congratulations on the boat. Glad we were a help in anything we showed you. Hope it goes well and well see you soon when you get to the keys. Enjoy and don't get overwhelmed at what's coming with repairs and upgrades,as well as maintenance. Enjoy!
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Quote:
After months of searching we've found 2 boats that we like and trying to decide which one to make an offer on. So thought I'd ask the members their opinions. Both are Taiwan boats.
The first one has Cat 210NA engines, generator replaced in 2007, fuel tanks replaced with aluminum, hardtop over flybridge and aft deck. Windows show no or minor leaking. There is a spot near the shower where the floor is wet.
The 2nd has Perkins 200 hp engines, older Westerbeke generator. Fuel tanks are iron and covered with insulation and has an inspection port. They appear to be painted and there are no signs of rust anywhere and no leaks and they are full. Bimini top over flybridge and hardtop over aft deck. Windows show no or minor leaking, but near entry door the veneer is peeling, plywood under is dry.
We think the 2nd is a prettier boat but concerned about the fuel tanks at some point may need replacing.
What are your thoughts?
Someone asked for make and year ....... I'm seconding that ......
Old 09-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch View Post
McGill ...... What make, year and how much were the renovations (if U don't mind disclosing - approximately). What areas were the ones you attacked first - I.e. most critical. I'm looking at a Cheoy Lee 55 LRC ...... 1985 ...... Scary .....!! If I go for it, I suspect I'll be doing much the same ....... Dispatch

McGill, as I said, it's an '87 Choey Lee Efficient. It has been a lengthy and comprehensive refit but as I said it has good bones. I did not have to deal with the mechanics too much. It has a pair of Cat 3208'TAs with 3,000 hours since new and an 16kW Northern Lights generator with 350 hours. Also has an almost new water maker. So no issues with them. No window leaks although some teak discoloration inside made me think there might be. But living aboard during a winter showed that it was a condensation issue.
So here is my list of what I did do.

Cleaned fuel tanks. Inherited almost full tanks about 1,000 gallons of 10 year old diesel. Lots of sludge and gook. The fuel was run through a centrifuge and I have actually used it all now.

Sanded and painted full hull and house. All new Awlgrip. There were lots of spider cracks on deck and house. Added four layers of fiberglass on hull to deck joint to strengthen.

Installed bow thruster

Removed and sent to shop both props and shafts. Turned, cleaned, pitched and balanced.

New bottom job. Trinidad non ablative. New anodes of course.

New name boards on stern and flybridge. Replaced graphics with custom carved sign boards of mahogany.

Removed teak rub rails and installed all new virgin mahogany.

Remainder of exterior teak stripped and recoated, 8 coats of varnish.

Rebuilt aluminum gangway. New rollers and hinges.

New flybridge windshield

Added fiberglass raised access hatch, new dinghy cradles, full size bar b que and drinks fridge to upper deck. Bought a 15' center console rib with 90 hp water jet as captains gig. Rebuilt deck crane with new motor and winch to 1500 lb capacity.

Replaced one a/c unit and serviced the remaining three.

Stripped and rebuilt entire galley, all new countertops, cabinetry, stove, microwave, fridge etc.

Sanded and refinished all salon teak woodwork.

Removed salon carpet and installed teak and holly flooring throughout salon and galley. New TV and new sofa and chairs. All new soft goods.

Stripped master stateroom to the bare fiberglass and completely rebuilt it. New everything down there including custom mattress on California king bed, carpet and soft goods.

Stripped the master bath to bare fiberglass. All new fiberglass shower built in, new vanity, new plumbing and fixtures etc. teak and holly floor installed.

All new electric toilets and piping (2).

New computerized battery chargers. All new agm batteries.

New Garmin 7512 plotter, radar, transducer package. New VHF,s in pilot house and bridge.

New anchor chain installed and marked.

New canvas awning, skirt and eisenglass around aft porch to create a sunroom.

Probably some other stuff that I am not recalling right now. I was thinking of starting a thread to show the process back when I started but I was too involved in the process and didn't take the time to photograph and document it sufficiently to be comprehensive. I might still do and abbreviated thread, we shall see.

All in all I spent around $150k on the rebuild but I have a boat that shows like new. I could have spent 20k and the boat would have been perfectly serviceable, but it is my home and I have a certain pride of ownership and it shows with compliments from the dock walkers and neighbors. There was nothing really 'bad' about the boat when I bought it other than some neglect, age and cosmetic issues and I would certainly highly recommend a well maintained Choey Lee to anyone who is looking for a well built hull. The company has been in continuous operation for over 125 years and has a reputation for quality. I don't know of any other boat building company that can say that today so that in itself speaks well of the brand. There is nothing that looks cheaply made. I was impressed with the electrical wiring runs being professionally done and copper nickel piping throughout that is like new.

Best of luck with your search.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:09 PM   #40

Where is it docked??