Old 03-25-2012, 03:34 AM   #21
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
RE: Forum Software Upgrade

Agree with all. I was a member from the start of the PMM site and a contributer to the mag.
Loved the articles and the live chat, that was a real feature especially for me being down here.

I just hope we here don't go down that road, but it is possible as it now looks like it is commercially driven.
I won't dissapear but will probably slowly just go astern.

Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #22
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

I seem to remember that the PMM forum started down hill after the first "upgrade".* Added features didn't work, and there was no response from* "Superuser" (the webmaster actually) The first upgrades seemed mostly designed to allow increased advertising on each page, which they did, but with so many features not working it became a pain to use.* Many members were asking questions of the webmaster that never got answered.* Then came another "Superuser" who promised to fix everything, but only made matters worse.* At one time, the site was down for days (then a couple weeks as I remember) while fixes were put in place, but upon the grand re-opening the site was hijacked by spam and again taken down within days.* They finally gave up, and there doesn't seem to be any effort to bring it back.* It was at the beginning of these dark days that Doug posted a link to his new site, and many of us migrated here to get our trawler fix.*

On the plus side, the P/M site was pretty well un-moderated , and everyone behaved themselves nicely (just as they seem to do here).* Occasionally someone would get offensive, but it never lasted long.* It was a great place for the first few years with large amounts of traffic and a great information exchange.* Sadly, they didn't have the resources to put into the site and it finally went away.* The good news is that we still have a great forum centered on trawlers. I have high hopes that the "upgrades" will work well, and that the bugs are addressed quickly.* I also have no doubt that the site will migrate to including advertising at some point, but I don't think most folks have an issue with this as long as it doesn't get in the way of using the site.* Everyone knows it cost money to keep the site open and we appreciate the effort that goes into it............Arctic Traveller

Trawler training at<a href="http://www.arctictraveller.com"> www.arctictraveller.com
</a>

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #23
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

There seems to be a lot of pessimism about the future viability of Trawler Forum here, which I don't understand. Possibly because of the current OTDE hiatus I suppose. But to suggest that TF could go the route of the PMM forum is doing a big disservice to the new owners I think.

The PMM forum was an add-on to the site owned by magazine publishers who obviously didn't have a lot of interest or expertise in the forum world.

For the new owners of this site, I gather that forums is their business, so I have full confidence that this will continue to be a vibrant, useful, and socially acceptable site.*
Conrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Password reset should not be an issue for me as I try to log off after each use to prevent, ahem pop ups from advertising showing up on my e-mail. It will not be a good sign if my e-mail is used by TF for advertising such as happened with PMM and THT. I have given up on linked-in because I got too many friends I didn't need requesting stuff*and connections.

Good luck Andy with your APPS, hopefully they won't be APPS into oblivion for the current site users which has become all too common in the digital age.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #25

City: Pacific Northwest
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: 2014 Ranger Tug R-27

While I realize these sites are not free to operate, I find the advertising on CruiserForum to be annoying. Just now Smokey the Bear is the most prominent thing on the CF home page.

How is that related to boating?

The clean look of this forum and the focus on our discussions is a real positive. Everywhere in life now we see advertising and logos. When I go boating I am able to see the natural world without advertising.

Some websites have subscriptions where after you pay, you don't see the adds.

If the forum starts restricting and editing posts so as to not offend advertisers, I think folks here would loose interest. If my posts are edited to appease a advertiser, I'm gone!
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #26
TF Site Team

@Conrad - I agree about the pessimism but understand where the members are coming from. The temporary closure of OTDE was obviously not a very popular move but our team needed the time to chat about how to handle issues. We have been doing in the last couple weeks. The new software will send out alerts to the whole team when issues arise and we can discuss them together rather then the sole team member who is online having to decide the best path forward.

I agree about the magazine publisher not understanding forums was probably a big issue. I started my founded my first forum over a decade ago and have been a forum fanatic ever since. We live and breath forums everyday. I have no idea how to write a magazine and never intend to become a magazine publisher.

@sunchaser - We will NEVER sell your email to advertisers. We might send a forum newsletter here and there but they are very infrequent. When we do send them, they usually include some relevant links back to current topics. There is always an opt-out link at the bottom of the newsletters if you don't like them. Did I mention they are infrequent? On some other sites we might send one out once a year or even once every couple years...

@Larry H - One thing to realize is that more ads are shown to guests then members. We hope that encourages lurkers to sign up and log-in. As for the type of ads, that is decided by Google. We use them as our ad provider and they show ads based on where you are located, others sites and searches you have made, etc. You can see how they have you profiled and opt-out from this link:
www.google.com/ads/preferences/

The ad supported internet has fostered a lot of innovation to provide tons of services for free.* Could you imagine having to pay for every search engine query or to have a free email account (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail, etc)?* Although I understand people don't always like the ads, they do provide tons of resources for free.* I'd love it if I could walk into a bookstore and pick up all the magazines I wanted free because the advertisers paid to distribute them (talk about double dipping).

I like you idea about an upgraded account and ability to turn off ads.* We actually have that running on some sites and once we get settled we will look at adding that here.* In the meantime (you didn't hear this from me) you can install and ad blocker and enjoy almost all sites without ads.

I know change can be difficult to swallow and that we will need to earn your trust.* Temporarily shutting down OTDE was a tough choice to make because I knew it would cause some pushback but our team needed the time to get our ducks in a row.* It will be back as it's own section called "Hot Topics" very soon.* Please try to keep an open mind and give us some time to earn your trust.* I feel confident that when we look back in 5 years everyone will continue to be happy that we are all part of this fine community.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Andy:

Thanks for the Google opt out link and the tip on as blockers.

I, with others, await how this site will evolve and would have no objection in principle to a subscription based forum provided that it will retain its present clean look and will include a reopening of a, hopefully, lightly moderated OTDE. Not that I spent much time in OTDE, but it did give the politically oriented A types a place to growl and snarl at each other in a contained area where they could be observed from a distance in relative safety.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #28
TF Site Team

I want to make sure everyone is clear on one thing, this site will ALWAYS remain free. If we add an account upgrade feature it's usually just for more "perks" for accounts (ie. server resources). On the other sites we usually giveaway the account upgrades to members who have been significant contributors as a way of saying thank you. So, once again, it will always be FREE to join and participate in the discussions but if we offer an account upgrade it would simply be to have some more features added to your account.

David: OTDE will be back. The setup will be an Off Topic forum for all the general off topic stuff (cars, travel, booze, football, etc) and a Hot Topic section that will be very lightly moderated for the Hot Topic stuff. We are planning to roll out some basic community guidelines in the near future and all the details will be in there. No big changes but as the community grows we feel it's important to have something in writing.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #29
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:
Andy:

Thanks for the Google opt out link and the tip on as blockers.

I, with others, await how this site will evolve and would have no objection in principle to a subscription based forum provided that it will retain its present clean look and will include a reopening of a, hopefully, lightly moderated OTDE. Not that I spent much time in OTDE, but it did give the politically oriented A types a place to growl and snarl at each other in a contained area where they could be observed from a distance in relative safety.
David this is meant respectfully to all persons, contributors on TF or otherwise.

As I see it: In this*global economic, environmental, and political upheaval decade... American public needs to*take notice and enter debates in hopes to collectively define the best way forward*for our Country's political, economic, energy, and social agendas.* This election year is a calm before the storm.* I hope you join the discussions when OTDE returns.* Your posts always appear clear-eyed and level headed.* America needs your intelligent input.* In general, boaters are the most honest people I deal with; and, by need-be I deal with many levels of society in my businesses.

I must ask, regarding your statement quoted below, should OTDE new acronym become TFZ; i.e. Trawler forum*ZOO?? LOL* In this decade OTDEs new acronym might better incline... NTBD, i.e. Need To Be Discussed.* IMHO
"Not that I spent much time in OTDE, but it did give the politically oriented A types a place to growl and snarl at each other in a contained area where they could be observed from a distance in relative safety."
Cheers! Art

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:47 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Bring it ooorn. The suspense is killin' me...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:36 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
Art wrote:
I must ask, regarding your statement quoted below, should OTDE new acronym become TFZ; i.e. Trawler forum*ZOO?? LOL* In this decade OTDEs new acronym might better incline... NTBD, i.e. Need To Be Discussed.* IMHO
"Not that I spent much time in OTDE, but it did give the politically oriented A types a place to growl and snarl at each other in a contained area where they could be observed from a distance in relative safety."

Art:
To maintain consistency with the latin word "Forum", perhaps the name for the political area of OTDE should be called the "Colosseum"
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #32
Art
Guru

Forum Software Upgrade

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:Art wrote:

Art:
To maintain consistency with the latin word "Forum", perhaps the name for the political area of OTDE should be called the "Colosseum"
*David:

In that case... the acronym could be COM... as a tongue-in-cheek reference to "Dot Com", the largest Coloseum ever created... containing*seats for every spectator and a word-sword for every warrior.*

-- Edited by Art on Monday 26th of March 2012 06:09:53 AM
Old 03-26-2012, 06:11 AM   #33
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

Quote:
Art wrote:
... American public needs to*take notice and enter debates in hopes to collectively define the best way forward*for our Country's political, economic, energy, and social agendas.* This election year is a calm before the storm.* I hope you join the discussions when OTDE returns.* Your posts always appear clear-eyed and level headed.* America needs your intelligent input.*
*Not to mention the sage scholarly advice that those other philosophical deep old files from the other side of the ocean*bring to the debate.

AKA

"The small group you see on the upper deck,sitting with their feet on the rail and beer in hand are the Oz east coast crew.That lot are so laid back it's a wonder they don't fall overboard.They are by nature members of the officers mess."
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #34
Art
Guru

Quote:
Andy G wrote:Art wrote:
... American public needs to*take notice and enter debates in hopes to collectively define the best way forward*for our Country's political, economic, energy, and social agendas.* This election year is a calm before the storm.* I hope you join the discussions when OTDE returns.* Your posts always appear clear-eyed and level headed.* America needs your intelligent input.*
*Not to mention the sage scholarly advice that those other philosophical deep old files from the other side of the ocean*bring to the debate.

AKA

"The small group you see on the upper deck,sitting with their feet on the rail and beer in hand are the Oz east coast crew.That lot are so laid back it's a wonder they don't fall overboard.They are by nature members of the officers mess."

Andy G - I'm honored to have been posted to by the TF Hospitality Officer!* Thanks!! - Art
Old 03-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #35
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

See, OTDE is needed. It has morphed into Forum Software Upgrade! Leave it to "Artfully" changing the context.* Now to see how it all comes together.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #36
TF Site Team

UPDATE: Forum Software Conversion Time Set!

The Forum will be closed around 1:50 EST on Thursday.* The current host will begin their export and once complete we will start the import into vBulletin.* We have tested this process and everything should work smoothly, Mr. Murphy should not be paying us a visit but we all know how that can work out sometimes.

If all goes as planned, the downtime will be fairly short.* We will import all the users and post and send out an email to everyone with a link to reset their passwords (you can use the same one you had on the old software but it WILL HAVE TO BE RESET).

Downtime could be as short as a couple hours or as long as 24 hours.* If you set your expectations that it's going to take a day but we are done much faster we will have more people pleased with the quick reopening on the new software.

There are a couple of things that everyone should prepare for in this conversion.

1) Private Messages will NOT be Imported - Due to privacy issues the current host will not export the private messages. *That means you will need to read and archive any private messages you want to save ASAP. *They do this because no one is allowed to see the private messages (Admins and Mods included).

2) Everyone will require a password reset - The current host will not provide the old passwords so everyone will have to reset their password after the conversion. *Please make sure your email address on file is up-to-date so the reset email will get to you. *We will also have the help desk to assist members via email as needed to make sure everyone gets back in.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #37
TF Site Team

I am going to send out an email to all 2,700+ members about the software conversion on Thursday since everyone needs to save any important private messages. I have closed this discussion and posted the most recent update about the software conversion to the following thread in order to link to it from the email and avoid confusion (if they started reading at the beginning of this thread the time/date of the conversion was unknown). Please continue this discussion at this link:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/t48466993/updated-forum-software-conversion-thursday-march-29-200-pm-e/