Old 09-28-2016, 01:22 PM   #41
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
I guess this may be the issue. When I seek info, it is for facts, standards, laws, etc. Others, I guess are happy with opinions.

So to clarify, opinions are fine for what layout do you like, what color canvas is good, what weather site do you like..... Opinions are not OK for things related to property damage and personal injury like, electrical and mechanical installations.

I think these get blurred, in my OPINION, way to often 🙂

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #42
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
the absolute biggest mistake is to think boating is only facts and laws and standards.

anyone who thinks there is only one right way, one wrong way in my opinion is a diehard in the box thinker without much real world experience.

the biggest loss in forums is the repeated chant of call a professional....

what is ironic, is even professional opinions here are slammed...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #43
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
One other thing that came out in this thread and is something I find extremely distasteful and that is blanket attacks on professions or groups of people. I have no issue with saying one has had a problem finding good surveyors or brokers or electricians and asking for advice on how to do it, but saying all surveyors are useless, all brokers are frauds, all electricians are clueless, is very inappropriate, in my opinion.

In this thread, Sealife gets attacked for being a surveyor. Don't people realize that they're insulting individuals, no different than themselves? There are good and bad in every field and no one here works or did work in a profession immune from that.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #44
Guru

psneeld, being around others affected by litigation will change your perspective. They did the same as everyone else, but they got called on it. Explain your "real world experience" to the judge. As I stated, that is where standards and credentials to make a difference.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 09-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #45
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
For instance I also hold a 100 ton license. .

Ulp. 100 whole tons! Like as in more than 50? Wow. I am impressed.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #46
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
"Unfortunately most people looking for advice do so because they are trying to save a buck, and the cheapest/easiest suggestions always seem to be taken."

I discovered TF after I purchased my first and only power boat. Wish I'd discovered TF before I bought a power boat, but that's another story.

With the advice and help of a lot of TFers, I've brought the old girl back to life and maintained her over the past five years, starting from a minimal personal knowledge base. Not being in the target market for Yachting or ShowBoat mags, yep, I sure am looking for advice to "save a buck." I am also crystal clear on the concept that free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

I've hung out here long enough to have a sense of who knows what they're talking about and who is (in my totally personal opinion) not up to speed. I also fully expect that I may sometimes be wrong in my evaluation. That's on me - no-one else.

Looking at just the responders to this post, I see Craig, Ted, psneeld, AusCan, John, Murray, George, Kevin, Pete, Fred, Chris, Ski, and Dave. All of whom have, at one time or another, provided me with good advice that saved me many boatbucks over the years. I've also unexpectedly discovered that I thoroughly enjoy doing (most) of the work on my own and, through this free advice, discovered a lot of work I can accomplish through my own amateur efforts. This would not have happened without the TF input.

The lawerly concerns about "liabilty", when publicly thrown about, is, in my experience, generally put forth by non-lawyers.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #47
Guru

Cappy208, thank you for proving the point. I disclosed my license because it does affect the outcome of certain situations. And you turn it into a personal attack! Nice

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 09-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Cappy208, thank you for proving the point. I disclosed my license because it does affect the outcome of certain situations. And you turn it into a personal attack! Nice

Obviously you didn't read my earlier post. I'm not about a 'tonnage' value. But a realization about value over all.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #49
Guru

Post #21, yea I read it. Doesn't have anything to do with your comment. Not to mention if you're not about tonnage, why the pointless post?

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 09-28-2016, 01:46 PM   #50
Guru

Anyway, again thanks for those that provided usable info. I don't wish to have a back and forth with the rest of you, providing no further information related to the matter at hand. Not one for arguments, as this thing is already going past its usefulness. Maybe time for a new thread...opinions vs. facts, or experience vs. credentials, or something about liability of undersized anchors

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 09-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
psneeld, being around others affected by litigation will change your perspective. They did the same as everyone else, but they got called on it. Explain your "real world experience" to the judge. As I stated, that is where standards and credentials to make a difference.
sure but only to a point...

the last testimony I gave, 2 ambulance chasing lawyers tried to use the Navrules book against me....let's just say they didn't look too good quoting the book without understanding it like my "real world expeience" allowed me to apply it to the situation.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #52
Guru

City: Here
Decades of working on boats, learning to sail in the North Sea, Cruising from Duluth MN to the Caribbean, being a full time liveaboard for twenty years and total rebuilds of three cruising powerboats has taught me a thing or two about boats but ..... I place just as much value on my education in meteorology, composite engineering, electrical systems and corrosion analysis and the literally dozens of course I've taken over the years from people such as Dave Rifkin, Ed Sherman, Kevin Ritz, Blake Lloyd .......

I know many boaters who claim 30 years of experience but what they really have is one years experience repeated 30 times.

Educated experience is the key in my humble opinion.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #53
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
... I guess this is why the kids just use google these days...
Except many boat related Google searches will bring you here to TF
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:23 PM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Decades of working on boats, learning to sail in the North Sea, Cruising from Duluth MN to the Caribbean, being a full time liveaboard for twenty years and total rebuilds of three cruising powerboats has taught me a thing or two about boats but ..... I place just as much value on my education in meteorology, composite engineering, electrical systems and corrosion analysis and the literally dozens of course I've taken over the years from people such as Dave Rifkin, Ed Sherman, Kevin Ritz, Blake Lloyd .......

I know many boaters who claim 30 years of experience but what they really have is one years experience repeated 30 times.

Very good point BP....educated experience is the key. One without the other is like I always say...knowledge plus experience is wisdom...kids exhibit great knowledge these days...especially with the web...what they lack is experience.

In the military..they take the totally uninformed and beat classroom training and hands on training into you, evolution after evolution...it is the quickest way to competency I know of.

And I too have always blinked at the " 30 years boating experience"...had many of themy in my captains courses and scratched my head as to what they were doing....sleeping underway all those years?
Old 09-28-2016, 02:31 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
yeah. tonnage

Somehow I think you don't understand that a USCG license does't impress? 100 tons is an entry level license. With a one week course, and little documentation as a base. I have tossed 100 ton masters off the wheel.... many times. Just as many times I have had OS ordinary seaman who are extraordinary in performance.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

And I too have always blinked at the " 30 years boating experience"...
Mid 2012, I had roughly 30 years of boating experience. However, I had 0 years of experience in terms of the boating I was about to start then and continue through today. I had well over 2000 days of "sea time", but none on the ocean. I was extremely knowledgeable of lake boating and zero knowledge of coastal boating. If you wanted an expert in pulling water skiers I was one. In the four years since then and over 60,000 nm of cruising, I've learned far more than in the previous 30 years. In fact, I learned more in the first six months by far than the previous 30 years.

So, basically I am the example of 30 years doing the same thing, very simple boating vs 4 years of intensive boating with expert training.

I also don't think we can learn all we need to on our own, mainly because the teacher in those circumstances knows no more than we do. I had to learn from those who had knowledge and experience. We knew a man a little over 6 months ago who had owned his 50' boat for four years and seemed lost. I suggested he get a teaching captain to take him out for a day. He said he'd learned more in that day than the previous 4 years. He's had a couple more days of the captain in the six months since then.

I learn something here regularly. Even have learned some about anchors here. You have to filter the information but still you learn.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #57
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Except many boat related Google searches will bring you here to TF
There are a half dozen intelligent, experienced posters on this forum whose posts I scrutinize and look forward to. There are a half dozen posters with huge numbers of posts who know little but offer opinions freely with little understanding of what they have just copied from a 2 minute Google search.
These people tend to be the attackers when corrected so those that know better often just move on leaving BS info unchallenged.

Unfortunately the newbie can't tell the difference, such is the internet.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #58
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post

I would agree with you. I have over 50 years experience boating on Puget Sound on a variety of different sized boats. I don't consider myself truly competent in many things. I am a rank amateur who simply has done stuff a lot and mostly gotten away with it. I am free with my opinions, but very rarely would I describe myself as truly knowledgable. I just figure most folks realize that as well.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:56 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
Somehow I think you don't understand that a USCG license does't impress? 100 tons is an entry level license. With a one week course, and little documentation as a base. I have tossed 100 ton masters off the wheel.... many times. Just as many times I have had OS ordinary seaman who are extraordinary in performance.
Wifey B: Just because you've tossed 100 ton masters off doesn't mean you should attack them all. I don't know if Sealife is good or not. I think he has a right to be proud of whatever licensing and knowledge he has though. Yeah, tons of 100's....I like how I did that...would be lost on your type boat, but there are plenty of situations you wouldn't be the expert pro in either. Some people have lesser tonnage because of experience and some have it because of the size boats they are involved with. I knew this one ancient mariner, 50 years experience, 100 tons, but he never worked on and never would work on larger boats. Smaller boats though, he was a real pro and I'd put him against anyone with any tonnage.

Each time my tonnage goes up doesn't mean on that day I suddenly became smarter. It's continual learning. I like learning more crap even if I have no use for it.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:10 PM   #60
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
the absolute biggest mistake is to think boating is only facts and laws and standards.

anyone who thinks there is only one right way, one wrong way in my opinion is a diehard in the box thinker without much real world experience.

the biggest loss in forums is the repeated chant of call a professional....

When you are talking electrical and plumbing, your options are severely limited. That "box" is what keeps us and others safe.

As far as calling a professional, it's often quite clear to someone who knows a subject that the poster is unqualified to proceed with his or her project.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote