Forum advice liability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sometimes that's how it feels to us Kalifornians, too! :D It's a weird place to live sometimes, but it's also one of the most fun places I've ever lived.

Agreed!

I was born/brought-up in NY on LI south shore (18 yrs.)... in that run I also spent time in Queens/Manhattan with family. Lived in Maine on Penobscot Bay for four years. Lived in Denver for a couple years, San Diego two different times, couple years each time. In upper Sierra Nevada mountains for near a decade (6000' +/- elevation). Settled in Marin county, Nor CA at age 33 (in the 'sticks" - 40 minutes north of SF). Never intend to leave here as my permanent residence; till death do me part! Luv it... Simply LUV It!! :dance:

How about------
Those who respond to a specific question answer because they have specific and actual knowledge, which they believe can help the asker

I know that wasn't the actual thread, but in reality, that's what happens when I either ask or respond to a question. I have on three occasions, talked person to person on the phone helping with a particular problem with which I have personally dealt with. Isn't this what the forum is for?

I look for advice--- I receive 3 completely different solutions, then I use what I think will help.
I actually appreciate each response. As each person took the time to respond.

IMO if your uncomfortable, don't do it!!!

If you need to ask this forum if your liable if you answer their question, then I'm not sure your asking the right group.
Perhaps a lawyer you know and trust----but--------

Chris,
This isn't a get help line. Well I wish it wasn't. But many use it as such. You don't need to go on line to find an expert to help you w your problems. A forum is mostly about ideas. A think tank for people that like to think and go places w their thoughts and ideas.

You can learn what kind of oil to use in your boat engine just by reading the manual. Many think their mechanic is qualified to say but he isn't. He may know but what he says may likely be just his own opinion. And a boat dealer will only tell you what benefits his boat dealership. To get the real answer you need a lubrication engineer and the easiest route to his recomendation is through the engines manual. That is the common route to what kind of oil to use in your engine.

So why ask someone on the internet? Maybe "chat room" is what a forum should be called. A place to chat about things. A vast pool of ideas. Most all of them incorrect but interesting to talk about and w enough ideas one can actually
use their brain to apply those ideas and remarks to their personal situation. Or perhaps to provide a base to evaluate what other people say about things like what oil to use. While chatting on the forum one does over time accumulate a wide range of ideas about many specific issues.

We here on a forum are not NA's or engineers (w a very few exceptions) but the people here actually can become your friends. So it's social. We have a good time (when we're not too frustrated) and some here (though they may not realize it) use this forum as their social life. Most probably just expand their social life here. Many introverts can't relate to people one on one/face to face very well so the internet forum is a gold mine for them.

But many here do use this forum as get answers to solve your problems. I'll tell you how you can tell who they are. They don't just get what information they need and then disappear. You see them over and over again. You get to know them and enjoy reading them and socially interact w them. You talk about WHY one should use syn oil or why not. You're not just getting an answer to take away. We talk away our time unconsciously waiting for the " oh yeah .. that's interesting". Now that you say that, I wonder about .... " and it goes on. Part friendship and part ideas. Short on facts w/o fault. Facts help to be sure but most of the time aren't required for good conversation about ideas. One can say something very interesting, stimulating and it likely will lead to other ideas and facts .. to balance the ideas. Chat room.

But taking the facts and disappearing over the hilltop is not the stuff of forums. Staying and kicking around both the facts (as we see them) and the ideas. Both the facts and ideas must lead and evolve to be the stuff of forums.

So Chris K you can get your facts or ideas and go over the hill but you will leave food for the rest of us to use as a dog uses a bone.

IMHO

Nothing wrong with opinions, recommendations, history of one's own actions; especially regarding marine activities.

If that channel of communication/interaction becomes stymied throughout the boating industry due to legal BS of "I can sue you" for anything you say... we will have entered into premise for a new book: Title - Dead In The Water!

If that channel of communication/interaction becomes stymied throughout the boating industry due to legal BS of "I can sue you" for anything you say... we will have entered into premise for a new book: Title - Dead In The Water!

Understand, just because one can, doesn't mean they do. Most of us have never sued anyone and have never been sued by anyone. I doubt anyone here can find a suit over advice on a boating forum.

Chris,
This isn't a get help line. Well I wish it wasn't. But many use it as such. You don't need to go on line to find an expert to help you w your problems. A forum is mostly about ideas. A think tank for people that like to think and go places w their thoughts and ideas.

You can learn what kind of oil to use in your boat engine just by reading the manual. Many think their mechanic is qualified to say but he isn't. He may know but what he says may likely be just his own opinion. And a boat dealer will only tell you what benefits his boat dealership. To get the real answer you need a lubrication engineer and the easiest route to his recomendation is through the engines manual. That is the common route to what kind of oil to use in your engine.

So why ask someone on the internet? Maybe "chat room" is what a forum should be called. A place to chat about things. A vast pool of ideas. Most all of them incorrect but interesting to talk about and w enough ideas one can actually
use their brain to apply those ideas and remarks to their personal situation. Or perhaps to provide a base to evaluate what other people say about things like what oil to use. While chatting on the forum one does over time accumulate a wide range of ideas about many specific issues.

We here on a forum are not NA's or engineers (w a very few exceptions) but the people here actually can become your friends. So it's social. We have a good time (when we're not too frustrated) and some here (though they may not realize it) use this forum as their social life. Most probably just expand their social life here. Many introverts can't relate to people one on one/face to face very well so the internet forum is a gold mine for them.

But many here do use this forum as get answers to solve your problems. I'll tell you how you can tell who they are. They don't just get what information they need and then disappear. You see them over and over again. You get to know them and enjoy reading them and socially interact w them. You talk about WHY one should use syn oil or why not. You're not just getting an answer to take away. We talk away our time unconsciously waiting for the " oh yeah .. that's interesting". Now that you say that, I wonder about .... " and it goes on. Part friendship and part ideas. Short on facts w/o fault. Facts help to be sure but most of the time aren't required for good conversation about ideas. One can say something very interesting, stimulating and it likely will lead to other ideas and facts .. to balance the ideas. Chat room.

But taking the facts and disappearing over the hilltop is not the stuff of forums. Staying and kicking around both the facts (as we see them) and the ideas. Both the facts and ideas must lead and evolve to be the stuff of forums.

So Chris K you can get your facts or ideas and go over the hill but you will leave food for the rest of us to use as a dog uses a bone.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thank you Keith!

I did put some time into it. Sometimes reality dosn't emerge unless thought is allowed to travel or roam.

Chris,

Eric,

What you say makes a lot of sense and well said.

However, these internet forums ARE help lines and they provide a LOT of help, as well as other things. We get help from people who have been there, or researched it, or are experience with it or are experts with it. Call it help, advise, comments, ideas, etc... all related.

We look in the manual to find the best oil. We also ask our mechanic. We also post here. In MANY cases the manual isn't the best or has become obsolete. A lot of us operate boats that are 20 or 30 years old and technology, tools and oils have changed a bunch over that time.

And we also offer advise about our experiences or expertise. We like to help others... it's part of the game.

I've learned a TON of stuff on internet forums, mainly ones with a narrow focus, like this one. It IS a help line.

And, it's not only a help line, it's all the other things you have mentioned in your post which is all true. Very definitely a social thing, and many good friendships result.

Eric

Post #122 is spot on, not that we won't continue to ramble along on virtually any subject. Now to find a "how to" site regarding removing my key fob battery without destroying that little rascal -------- :confused:

I sure seemed have hit a sore spot. My apologies to all, who have been offended.
My post wasn't meant to demean or put down anyone or anything.

If the simple fact is that I have asked for help or helped someone is problematic, then certainly I benefit by going over the hill as this isn't a place for me. I enjoy reading each of the different responses each from a different perspective. That said, I read most of the posts and many are asking for opinions, not simply discussing which anchor is best.

As for the lawyer......you trust...
It was a legal question of liability. One which I believe few of the members of the forum are truly able to answer.

Again my apologies if I ruffled feathers

I sure seemed have hit a sore spot. My apologies to all, who have been offended.
My post wasn't meant to demean or put down anyone or anything.

If the simple fact is that I have asked for help or helped someone is problematic, then certainly I benefit by going over the hill as this isn't a place for me. I enjoy reading each of the different responses each from a different perspective. That said, I read most of the posts and many are asking for opinions, not simply discussing which anchor is best.

As for the lawyer......you trust...
It was a legal question of liability. One which I believe few of the members of the forum are truly able to answer.

Again my apologies if I ruffled feathers

Dcbeach

Can't say you ruffled feathers as much as you did get us to become somewhat introspective regarding the whats/hows/whys in things we say/share on TF. There is a lot of experience and intelligence provided on this power boating forum.

I'd say we all seemed to have come out with a fairly clean bill of health.

Eric... a very thoughtful contributor, put it best and segmented things into some cool categories (post 122) as to the whats/hows/whys in things we say/share on TF.

Bottom line... IMO, it's OK to say most anything... as long as not purposefully trying to mislead anyone for any reason.

Happy Marine-Sharing Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Dcbeach,
Sore spot???
I know of no sore spot. I'm a Sage and just naturally shoot arrows and offend some people at some times.

You and Seevee are right .. TF is an information stop. Many use it for that .. I think I even said that or aluded to that. That's OK I do it to at times. See my recent thread about my exhaust hose. Going to Everett today to get said hose. And I'm grateful for the responses/help there.

But I hope the bulk of TF activity revolves around ideas and wandering discussion that is first interesting and secondly informative.

It helps to be a little loose on TF.

Warning: This is an Old Thread
This discussion is older than 5 days. information contained in it may no longer be current

In closing,

I would like to thank ALL of you for your post. I have learned very much. As I said, I am relatively new at forums, and other forms of online social media....

I guess the original post was started because I have more time and internet at my disposal than usual. My wife flew home for a few weeks to visit friends and family while I am down here in Panama for hurricane season, before we resume our trip through the Caribbean. I thought since I am no longer working in the marine fields daily, that a forum or two may keep me in touch with developing technologies and customer wants etc., as well as help fellow boat owners, which has always been the best part of the business for me.

I have learned based on all of the post, and others in some different threads, that there seem to be three different groups of contributors.

Those that seek factual information to solve problems they don't understand from someone who they feel is more experienced or qualified and can point them in the right direction (TOS)

2) Those that like the idea of a think tank or chatroom where ideas and creative concepts can be shared with others and most likely never come to fruition.

3) Those that come to argue and "impress" themselves or others with their post, and assume that is why everyone else must be posting. Its a competition, and knowledge or reading comprehension has nothing to do with it.

I will try to use what I have learned going forward.

I can see why you started the thread when you try to lump everyone into those 3 categories.

I find it much fuller of greys....even one poster can be bridging two or all three of those categories in one post.

Having just finished 2 coats bottom paint and the boot stripe because the bottom paint tape pulled the old boot stripe paint off...broad strokes were necessary.....

....especially with the weather we have been having here lately....wasn't bad enough I pulled the boat before 5 days of rain...it is getting sandwiched between the next rain event today and tomorrow, plus Matthew over the weekend. A simple 2 day haul turned into 2 weeks of lousy painting....best laid plans even with a broad brush...

Oh....did I change the subject to weatherman liability? :D

Last edited:
Most of us think we are a "person famed for his wisdom". Few of us would actually make the claim :)

And what claim do you think I am making?

Sage is also short for the sun sign sagitarius of which I was refering.

Having just finished 2 coats bottom paint and the boot stripe because the bottom paint tape pulled the old boot stripe paint off...broad strokes were necessary.....

....especially with the weather we have been having here lately....wasn't bad enough I pulled the boat before 5 days of rain...it is getting sandwiched between the next rain event today and tomorrow, plus Matthew over the weekend. A simple 2 day haul turned into 2 weeks of lousy painting....best laid plans even with a broad brush...

Oh....did I change the subject to weatherman liability? :D

Personally (and professionally) I think you should sue: The weather forecaster, the paint manufacturer, the yard for hauling you, the 'broad brush' manufacturer and above all the masking tape manufacturer. I would stake my professional reputation on that. It 'must be someone else's' fault, responsibility, point of view, opinion, thought and idea.

Like the lawyer said
The advice is worth what you paid for it.
If it was free then the contributor had no monetary gain and therefore no liability. If the contributor charged for his advice then we have another matter.

Personally (and professionally) I think you should sue: The weather forecaster, the paint manufacturer, the yard for hauling you, the 'broad brush' manufacturer and above all the masking tape manufacturer. I would stake my professional reputation on that. It 'must be someone else's' fault, responsibility, point of view, opinion, thought and idea.
Contacted all, the tape manufacturer was the only one who paid up......:D

$100,000 in personal inconvenience, and a lifetime supply of blue tape....:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom