Fort Myers to Fort Pierce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
For those that have done this passage via the lake, how many NMs is it and where is a good half way/overnight stopping place, either anchorage or marina?

Last edited:
Stop at Indiantown Marina, on the East side of the lake shortly after you go through the lock at Port Mayaka.

You can anchor in the lake close to shore before you decide to get into the waterway on the East side, but it can be a bit of a roll depending on the wind. I would go on to Indiantown.

Day one, 50 plus miles, to Moore Haven City. Couple of ok restaurants.
Day two across the lake to either Indian Town or a little further to River Forest. Another 50 plus mile day.
Day three a relatively short day, maybe 35 or 40 miles to Fort Pierce.

I went across the lake rather than perimeter. There are other way to do the crossing, but I wasn't interested in hanging about.

Check water levels. The locks aren't bad.

Have fun,

Arch

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Made the trip across last year. Overnighted at River Forest Marina on the St. Lucie side. A VERY well-run operation. Great hurricane hole and marina but absolutely nothing nearby.
They have facilities on both sides of the lake.

Docked at Indiantown in the 90's. The town seemed a bit "sketchy", even back then, but no issues.

Go to www.activecaptain.com and read the reviews.

Agree, don't go the rim route.

Definitely not the half way point but my wife and I stopped in a small town called LaBelle. One of the nicest places for me on the trip to NY. We stayed at the town dock. We got there late so everything was closed up so I can't say how the food would be. We walked around town a little and went back to the boat for dinner. We were the only ones at the dock that night. It was a week night in November. That night it was like a monsoon came through, happily we found out that our new to us boat did not leak at all. One other bonus, the town dock including electric and water was free.

Capt. Bill is right statute miles it is. If you are not in a big hurry, stop at Rialto Harbor just a few miles up from the Franklin Lock. Very unique.

When are you making the trip. Maybe I will be in Ft. Pierce.

I've done the trip in a small boat. Boat stayed at Roland Martin's but we slept at the Clewston Inn. The mural on the wall in the bar at the Clewston Inn is pretty amazing.

I drive that route often and always try to eat lunch in LaBelle. Nice town.

I stayed at the Indiantown Marina when I did the trip back in November. Cool "throwback" kind of vibe. Fun walking the grassy area looking at all the boats that are stored. Some boats come here to die it seems. ?

I've done the trip in a small boat. Boat stayed at Roland Martin's but we slept at the Clewston Inn. The mural on the wall in the bar at the Clewston Inn is pretty amazing.

Did you find the seam in the mural?

Hi Bill, I don't remember a seam. Do I need to go back and look for it? Sounds like a good excuse to stop there again.

Parks, I ask because you would know. Do the ladies still make those great homemade pies in LaBelle?

All this talk about LaBelle makes me think I need to take a trip south.

Yes, you can still get the pies! Flora and Ella's restaurant is gone but the lady who makes the pies has opened a new one. It's in a strip mall about a quarter mile west of where Flora and Ella's was. I sometimes call ahead and reserve a pie. Great Southern cooking!

Many folks will stop at the FREE DOCK in La Belle.

Small (15A) electric , free Wi Fi at the library and easy walking s=distance to a food store.

The Ace hardware is further but still walking distance.

The Caloosahatchie shuts down (locks are closed) at night so anchoring in the river is very quiet.

About 15 miles east is Lollypop a sand pot about 1/2 mile in diameter where some folks have anchored and seen a FL Panther.

Last edited:
Hi Bill, I don't remember a seam. Do I need to go back and look for it? Sounds like a good excuse to stop there again.

Go back for sure. The mural was not painted in place. And is in two pieces with a seam. It makes a a great excuse to have another drink or two while you and your guests guess where the seam is.

Don, I think Rialto Harbor closed a couple of years ago. Did they re-open it?

I overnighted at Roland Martin's in Clewstown. They have a lively bar on the weekends.

Back
Top Bottom