Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-04-2017, 03:58 PM   #1
Guru
 
City: Melbourne, FL
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,342
Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show Finds...

If you went to FLIBS this year, post interesting stuff you saw at the show!

I went aboard the Kadey Krogen 58, as well as the Fleming 65.

I spent some time in the engines tent and saw a new John Deere engine and had an education on Marine Exhaust systems at Marine Exhaust Systems. They do exhaust systems to quieten down bigger engines and their engineering was quite amazing. Anyone who can quiet down a Cat C32 engine so you hear the exhaust water but not the engine is good at their job.
__________________
Advertisement

stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:01 PM   #2
Guru
 
City: Melbourne, FL
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,342
oops, forgot one...
Deck Shoes & Boat Shoes for Men
I saw a boat shoe made of injection molded foam so that it is soft on the inside, sole is grippy, waterproof and won't leave marks on a deck. I was tempted to purchase a pair but will probably buy one off their site.
__________________

stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #3
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,401
Greetings,
As we were leaving and walking north along the main dock we saw what appeared to be a WW1 cruiser of some sort. Docked bow in, steel, in the 100' range, with unfaired hull welds and two chunks of 3/4" steel plate protruding on the bow just above the water line. VERY strange. Don't mean to be evasive but can't remember the name or make. Maybe someone on TF knows. I'd like to know the builder AND purpose (expedition yacht perhaps?). I think it was between E and F markers.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:43 PM   #4
Member
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Vessel Name: In between boats
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 18
RTF - I think that was "New Frontiers" a shadow yacht to carry toys and off duty crew.
SeaLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:02 PM   #5
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,401
Greetings,
Mr. SL. Yup, that's her. Butt ugly from the bow IMO. Thanks. Ugly BUT the spec's are impressive, none the less. I'm living in the wrong lifetime...
New Frontiers - Damen Motor Yacht | superyachts.com

__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:16 PM   #6
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. SL. Yup, that's her. Butt ugly from the bow IMO. Thanks. Ugly BUT the spec's are impressive, none the less. I'm living in the wrong lifetime...
New Frontiers - Damen Motor Yacht | superyachts.com



Well my dear Mr RTF sometimes design and usability do not meet. I can think of many thing geared for usability more than design and on the opposite side things made to be beautiful but not optimized for usability. When the two meet you get the graal.
But I must admit you are right, this one is ugly... and you are living on the wrong lifetime

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:52 PM   #7
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
oops, forgot one...
Deck Shoes & Boat Shoes for Men
I saw a boat shoe made of injection molded foam so that it is soft on the inside, sole is grippy, waterproof and won't leave marks on a deck. I was tempted to purchase a pair but will probably buy one off their site.
They sure are reasonable, but are they comfy?
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:34 PM   #8
Guru
 
Keysdisease's Avatar
 
City: South Florida
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 674
I'll be hanging out at 657 in the Superyacht tent, West end middle across from Derecktors Booth

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:42 AM   #9
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
oops, forgot one...
Deck Shoes & Boat Shoes for Men
I saw a boat shoe made of injection molded foam so that it is soft on the inside, sole is grippy, waterproof and won't leave marks on a deck. I was tempted to purchase a pair but will probably buy one off their site.
Wifey B: Was Oliver there?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:46 AM   #10
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post

I spent some time in the engines tent and saw a new John Deere engine and had an education on Marine Exhaust systems at Marine Exhaust Systems. They do exhaust systems to quieten down bigger engines and their engineering was quite amazing. Anyone who can quiet down a Cat C32 engine so you hear the exhaust water but not the engine is good at their job.
That's for sure. Interesting that Marine Exhaust focuses on muffling sound while the other company in exhausts, DeAngelo, focuses on filtration of the exhaust.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:40 AM   #11
Guru
 
Keysdisease's Avatar
 
City: South Florida
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 674
Filtration is going to be mandatory for vessels over a certain size by 2021, so the market is emerging for these units. There has always been demand for devices that reduce/eliminate sheen or floating soot from generators. Big white boat owners and guests do not like swimming and playing in dirty water, and some (old, out of tune, etc.) of those big generators can put out serious soot.





Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
That's for sure. Interesting that Marine Exhaust focuses on muffling sound while the other company in exhausts, DeAngelo, focuses on filtration of the exhaust.
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #12
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
Filtration is going to be mandatory for vessels over a certain size by 2021, so the market is emerging for these units. There has always been demand for devices that reduce/eliminate sheen or floating soot from generators. Big white boat owners and guests do not like swimming and playing in dirty water, and some (old, out of tune, etc.) of those big generators can put out serious soot.

Owners of big white boats don't like the black marks or the smell and crew of big white boats don't like trying to keep the black marks off the boat. Fortunately for both, generators are improving as are filtration systems.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:53 AM   #13
Guru
 
Keysdisease's Avatar
 
City: South Florida
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 674
A filtration system and a generator and propulsion silencer systems
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	70086  
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:43 AM   #14
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,401
A much better system... https://deangelomarine.com/seaclean-...-filter-system
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #15
Guru
 
Keysdisease's Avatar
 
City: South Florida
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 674
Interesting, knowledgable about an unidentified product
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #16
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
Interesting, knowledgable about an unidentified product
Unidentified? Well, yes and no. It's not specific but it's well identified and tested and in use.

Well, I am knowledgeable about Rick's and DeAngelo's solution, SeaClean. It's expensive and it works. I'm familiar with installations on boats 130' and up, mostly 164' and up. It definitely leaves things clean. That said, I don't see it being used or necessary in trawlers. I'm also familiar with the quality of work DeAngelo does.

Now, I'm not as familiar with the solutions from Marine Exhaust Systems. However, anything that can reduce the noise of a CAT gets my attention. I say that as I have friends who are CAT fanatics and then I've been in some boats with them that I would never own as is. I find noise to be so important in terms of enjoyment of cruising. Hatteras with CAT's are specifically the ones I've found most bothersome. Great boats. Great Engines. But if you can't hear to carry on a conversation when underway it negates a lot of that.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:06 PM   #17
Guru
 
City: Melbourne, FL
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,342
The showed me a video of a Cat engine boat where all you hear is the splash of water leaving the boat... I thought it was quite amazing to cancel out all that noise without raising backpressure past Cat's allowed limits. It turns out they were half of the allowed Cat exhaust backpressure limits.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:08 PM   #18
Guru
 
Keysdisease's Avatar
 
City: South Florida
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 674
My "unidentified" comment was directed to Mr Firefly in response to his comparison comment.
DeAngelo is the most well known exhaust supplier in the industry, their reputation is earned and well deserved, but they do not manufacture their own fiberglass silencers.

The comment that the DeAngelo system is better than the system I posted a photo of would require knowledge of both systems. The system in the photo is not Marine Muffler. There are at least 4 companies at the show displaying exhaust silencers, of those 4 I am familiar with, only 2 make their own silencers

$.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Unidentified? Well, yes and no. It's not specific but it's well identified and tested and in use.

Well, I am knowledgeable about Rick's and DeAngelo's solution, SeaClean. It's expensive and it works. I'm familiar with installations on boats 130' and up, mostly 164' and up. It definitely leaves things clean. That said, I don't see it being used or necessary in trawlers. I'm also familiar with the quality of work DeAngelo does.

Now, I'm not as familiar with the solutions from Marine Exhaust Systems. However, anything that can reduce the noise of a CAT gets my attention. I say that as I have friends who are CAT fanatics and then I've been in some boats with them that I would never own as is. I find noise to be so important in terms of enjoyment of cruising. Hatteras with CAT's are specifically the ones I've found most bothersome. Great boats. Great Engines. But if you can't hear to carry on a conversation when underway it negates a lot of that.
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:24 PM   #19
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
The showed me a video of a Cat engine boat where all you hear is the splash of water leaving the boat... I thought it was quite amazing to cancel out all that noise without raising backpressure past Cat's allowed limits. It turns out they were half of the allowed Cat exhaust backpressure limits.
I'd like to see the difference in performance with and without the muffler system even though the backpressure is well within CAT's limits. I know they systems I've seen on high performance boats definitely reduced speed. I don't know on a heavier and more traditional boat. I suspect any difference is very minor.

When I was a kid, there were a couple of boats on the lake that were legal to run only in races. One was an outboard, one an inboard jet. They both ran without covers on them. Their owners would periodically get out late afternoon on a smooth lake without the mufflers. They chose when they thought there would be no game wardens on the lake. There was a very significant speed difference on those boats and on the other more legal high performance boats on the lake. Obviously that was not today's muffler technology either.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #20
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,401
Greetings,
Mr. K. Apologies. Was commenting on the "filtration" technology only (SeaClean).
__________________

__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boat show, flibs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012