Former loves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
A friend just posted a picture of ours. Took me back 10 years or so. Show us yours.

Attachments

• res ipsa at lawry's i.jpg
    res ipsa at lawry's i.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 76
Our last Sailboat* "Yankee"* a Bristol 35.5** --fond memories for us.

Attachments

• dsc03376.jpg
    dsc03376.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 79
  • dsc03383.jpg
    dsc03383.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 76
  • dsc03384.jpg
    dsc03384.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 82
Bristols are nice boats. Have always admired them.

Our first cruiser, a C-Dory 22, best decision we ever made.* Took us all over BC and SE Alaska.

Attachments

• 1995cindyandcindysea.jpg
    1995cindyandcindysea.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 75
My first one, a Hunter 34, 1983.

Attachments

• img_1930.jpg
    img_1930.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 73
Our Albin27 sport cruiser. She's on a lake in the mountains of Colorado now.

Attachments

• dscn0279.jpg
    dscn0279.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 74
  • img_4231.jpg
    img_4231.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 79
Okay. Since people are putting in multiple pictures, I added a couple of more pictures, including my first sail boat, the red Luders 16, and a boat I did not own but my ex wife and I had the use of for a number of years, "Desperate Lark" a 1903 49' Herresoff Bar Harbor 31. Tried to buy her from her former owner but, considering the amount of money that the next owner had to put into her to restore her, am glad I didn't get her. But she was beauty to look at and sail.

Attachments

• resipsa2.jpg
    resipsa2.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 76
  • l16.jpg
    l16.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 71
  • desperate lark.jpg
    desperate lark.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 73
dwhatty wrote:
A friend just posted a picture of ours. Took me back 10 years or so. Show us yours.
That is one sweet looking boat

Here are mine, in the order that I owned them.

1) 48' OffShore Yacht Fisher

2) 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan (Our All Time Favorite)

3) 54' Mediterranean Sport Fisher

4) 35' Tiara Open

5) 30' Mainship Pilot

6) 31' Chaparral

7)* 32' Halvorsen Gourmet Cruiser

Notice that the last 4 boats were "down sized". They fit the "mission' better & the pocketbook.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Thursday 29th of September 2011 09:47:19 AM

Attachments

• img_2107.jpg
    img_2107.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 76
  • img_2453.jpg
    img_2453.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 70
  • img_2462.jpg
    img_2462.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 72
  • img_2460.jpg
    img_2460.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 64
  • img_2465.jpg
    img_2465.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 71
  • img_2467.jpg
    img_2467.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 71
  • img_2470.jpg
    img_2470.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 81
My first love

images

Annette Funicello

KJ wrote:
My first love

images

Annette Funicello
******** No, No. She was mine!

This is an Albin I photographed at Myers Chuck. It's not ours but I have no digital photo's of her. Our Albin was powered by a 3 cyl "3HM35F" Yanmar. She could cruise at 9 knots and for the 1st year I cruised at 8.5 knots but later I settled on 7.35 knots. We took her to Alaska (Juneau and back to Everett WA) in 03 just weeks after we (Chris - now wife) and I met. 68 days en-route and we were lucky enough to have the driest and sunniest weather in SE for 50 years. Great trip and great boat. The Albin is the best designed and built small trawler in the world I'm sure.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 205.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 205.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 71
SeaHorse II wrote:
Here are mine, in the order that I owned them.

1) 48' OffShore Yacht Fisher

2) 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan (Our All Time Favorite)

3) 54' Mediterranean Sport Fisher

4) 35' Tiara Open

5) 30' Mainship Pilot

6) 31' Chaparral

7)* 32' Halvorsen Gourmet Cruiser

Notice that the last 4 boats were "down sized". They fit the "mission' better & the pocketbook.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Thursday 29th of September 2011 09:47:19 AM
*Only seven? Geez Walt. You've almost left more boats behind than Zsa Zsa Gabor did husbands.
biggrin.gif

nomadwilly wrote:
The Albin is the best designed and built small trawler in the world I'm sure.
*Eric, I beg to differ. *That award goes to the Prairie 29. *It is HUGE at 29 feet and built like a brick ****house....not to mention a very handsome lil fella! *I lived on it for 5 years...my soon to be wife 3 of those years.

And Dave, what kind of boat is that??? *That thing is FINE!!! *Believe it or not, there is aboat in a field around these parts that looks VERY familiar to that. *I have been meaning to stop and take pictures. *When I do, I will post up!

-- Edited by Baker on Thursday 29th of September 2011 12:10:22 PM

Attachments

• p29.jpg
    p29.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 73
dwhatty wrote:
*Only seven? Geez Walt. You've almost left more boats behind than Zsa Zsa Gabor did husbands.
biggrin.gif
Actually there were 8 but for the life of me I can't remember one!

Just remembered!* It was a 38 Mediterranean Sport fisher! I fished it a lot but don't have a single photo of it.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Thursday 29th of September 2011 12:40:19 PM

download.spark
download.spark
1st 1973 31' Uniflite /*Me and Linda on Tollycraft in avitar,*helping usher in Tom Perkins' Maltese Falcon under Golden Gate Bridge - 2009

Just checked out a Prairie 29 on Yachtworld. Thanks Baker. That is the largest 29 footer I have seen. Well maybe the new Ranger Tug 29 might be bigger but it will set you back about a quarter mil to buy.

Ron

The good ship, "Clare Marie", a Com-Pac 23/II.* I taught myself to sail on this boat.* Hey, how hard can it be?* Well, there were a few hairy moments but no injuries or damage resulted.

My 1966 Flying Scott.* A friend gave her to me.* She was suffering from years of neglect and I was well on my way to bringing her back to life when I got distracted by,"Moon Dance", the MT 34.* I'll get back to it eventually.

-- Edited by BaltimoreLurker on Thursday 29th of September 2011 01:26:00 PM

Attachments

• 105-0506_img.jpg
    105-0506_img.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 64
  • cs1.jpg
    cs1.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 76
  • img_0854.jpg
    img_0854.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 73
  • claremarie.jpg
    claremarie.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 72
John,* when i was a kid i sailed on the orginal yankee that was once owned by captain irving johston* who sailed it around the world 3 times, i was at a school that used it as a training vessel, he gave it to the school* in 1942 i think?

Baker, As a fairly new owner of a Prarie 29, you have not overstated these outstanding trawlers on bit. The*surveyor who did our survey called her a wonderful "fat* little boat"and he was being complimentary. We never cease to be impressed with her many resources.

John

Baker wrote:And Dave, what kind of boat is that??? *That thing is FINE!!! *Believe it or not, there is aboat in a field around these parts that looks VERY familiar to that. *I have been meaning to stop and take pictures. *When I do, I will post up!

I've posted this link before, so sorry for the repeat. Its a pdf file of her pics and specs when we had her for sale two years ago:

"Res Ipsa"

Dave:

"Magnificent " boat! I'll bet you miss the pre season prep, huh?

I've posted these photos before but.....***

I did not own one of these boats but I went out on them several times filming their remarkable*aku (tuna) fishing activities.* They were a fixture in Hawaii and have been my all-time favorite boat since I first saw them when I was seven.*

They were so much a fixture that it never occurred to me they would someday be gone, so in all the years I lived in Hawaii I never took a single still photo of one even though I saw them virtually every day.* And now they're all gone save for a couple of derelict hulks.

I have never seen a boat move as beautifully through the water as these did.* Powered by a 6-71, they sliced through the swells and waves like destroyers.

All of them were built locally in Hawaii, mostly in the later 1940s.* At one time the fleet must have numbered near a hundred statewide.* Many of them were based in Kewalo Basin in Honolulu, which is where the big tuna canneries were.* Kewalo Basin is still there but the sampans (the local name for these boats as well as "aku boat") and the canneries are long gone, along with the gigantic Norway rats that used to run the overhead pipes between the cannery buildings.

So I did not take these photos.* They were sent to me a few years ago by another equally enthusiastic fan of the sampans who DID have the presence of mind to take some pictures.

My favorite recreational production boat is the Fleming 55.* But if I could have one of these, either in*perfect-condition wood like the originals or an exact fiberglass replica, the Fleming would be forgotten in*a heartbeat.

Attachments

• aku boat 1.jpg
    aku boat 1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 67
  • aku boat 2.jpg
    aku boat 2.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 66
KJ wrote:
My first love

images

Annette Funicello
*LoL... See and raise...

farrah_fawcett.jpg

dwhatty wrote:Baker wrote:And Dave, what kind of boat is that??? *That thing is FINE!!! *Believe it or not, there is aboat in a field around these parts that looks VERY familiar to that. *I have been meaning to stop and take pictures. *When I do, I will post up!

I've posted this link before, so sorry for the repeat. Its a pdf file of her pics and specs when we had her for sale two years ago:

"Res Ipsa"

*Thanks David. *She is beautiful!!! *I might just grab the camera and go take photos of the boat in the field. *It is actually a little boat storage yard but the boat in my minds eye is very similar to that one. *Once I get a pic and may be very different but that is how I remembered it. *It is not far from the house so I will go out on a mission.

Sortie wrote:
Baker, As a fairly new owner of a Prarie 29, you have not overstated these outstanding trawlers on bit. The*surveyor who did our survey called her a wonderful "fat* little boat"and he was being complimentary. We never cease to be impressed with her many resources.

John
*They are great little boats for sure!!! *There is a nickname for the 737 derived from the earlier shorter versions.....FLUF...for Fat Little Ugly F****r. *We almost named our Prairie that although I believe they are not ugly and quite handsome....whereas the early 737s were definitely ugly.

Back
Top Bottom