Old 09-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #21

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
RE: Former loves

Baker, As a fairly new owner of a Prarie 29, you have not overstated these outstanding trawlers on bit. The*surveyor who did our survey called her a wonderful "fat* little boat"and he was being complimentary. We never cease to be impressed with her many resources.

John

Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
Baker wrote:And Dave, what kind of boat is that??? *That thing is FINE!!! *Believe it or not, there is aboat in a field around these parts that looks VERY familiar to that. *I have been meaning to stop and take pictures. *When I do, I will post up!

-- Edited by Baker on Thursday 29th of September 2011 12:10:22 PM
I've posted this link before, so sorry for the repeat. Its a pdf file of her pics and specs when we had her for sale two years ago:

"Res Ipsa"

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Dave:

"Magnificent " boat! I'll bet you miss the pre season prep, huh?
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:13 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -

I've posted these photos before but.....***

I did not own one of these boats but I went out on them several times filming their remarkable*aku (tuna) fishing activities.* They were a fixture in Hawaii and have been my all-time favorite boat since I first saw them when I was seven.*

They were so much a fixture that it never occurred to me they would someday be gone, so in all the years I lived in Hawaii I never took a single still photo of one even though I saw them virtually every day.* And now they're all gone save for a couple of derelict hulks.

I have never seen a boat move as beautifully through the water as these did.* Powered by a 6-71, they sliced through the swells and waves like destroyers.

All of them were built locally in Hawaii, mostly in the later 1940s.* At one time the fleet must have numbered near a hundred statewide.* Many of them were based in Kewalo Basin in Honolulu, which is where the big tuna canneries were.* Kewalo Basin is still there but the sampans (the local name for these boats as well as "aku boat") and the canneries are long gone, along with the gigantic Norway rats that used to run the overhead pipes between the cannery buildings.

So I did not take these photos.* They were sent to me a few years ago by another equally enthusiastic fan of the sampans who DID have the presence of mind to take some pictures.

My favorite recreational production boat is the Fleming 55.* But if I could have one of these, either in*perfect-condition wood like the originals or an exact fiberglass replica, the Fleming would be forgotten in*a heartbeat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aku boat 1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	7674   Click image for larger version

Name:	aku boat 2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	7675  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:11 AM   #25
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
KJ wrote:
My first love

Annette Funicello
*LoL... See and raise...

Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:Baker wrote:And Dave, what kind of boat is that??? *That thing is FINE!!! *Believe it or not, there is aboat in a field around these parts that looks VERY familiar to that. *I have been meaning to stop and take pictures. *When I do, I will post up!

-- Edited by Baker on Thursday 29th of September 2011 12:10:22 PM
I've posted this link before, so sorry for the repeat. Its a pdf file of her pics and specs when we had her for sale two years ago:

"Res Ipsa"

*Thanks David. *She is beautiful!!! *I might just grab the camera and go take photos of the boat in the field. *It is actually a little boat storage yard but the boat in my minds eye is very similar to that one. *Once I get a pic and may be very different but that is how I remembered it. *It is not far from the house so I will go out on a mission.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Quote:
Sortie wrote:
Baker, As a fairly new owner of a Prarie 29, you have not overstated these outstanding trawlers on bit. The*surveyor who did our survey called her a wonderful "fat* little boat"and he was being complimentary. We never cease to be impressed with her many resources.

John
*They are great little boats for sure!!! *There is a nickname for the 737 derived from the earlier shorter versions.....FLUF...for Fat Little Ugly F****r. *We almost named our Prairie that although I believe they are not ugly and quite handsome....whereas the early 737s were definitely ugly.

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote