Old 03-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #1

City: Snohomish, WA
Vessel Name: NautiBeaver
Vessel Model: Nordlund 68'
Forget the great anchor debate, let's debate best coolers.

The admiral wanted to buy me a Yeti for Father's Day (I have a lot of kids so big day). I argued about if it was worth the money, researched a few forums and the inter webs and agreed to the purchase. I got a Tundra 250. A mammoth beast that weighs in at 70lbs. After almost a year I wanted to provide a review. One word, awesome.

The cooler has a few key thing you need to remember. It is all about the pre cool. You must bring this down to temp before setting expectation. On our trip to Alaska the cooler went on for days around 38-40degrees. This was with just a few frozen gallons of water and no ice. Key was precooled it with contents and let Drane, then just used milk jugs to hold temp.

Second thing is a little redneck ingenuity. I bought some sodium polyacrylate (aka diaper crystals). Got a bucket, food coloring and let's the kids do an experiment. I took the results and double 4mm chamber vacuum packed the solution and created "ice packs". No more bulky milk jugs.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1427472532.759854.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	38634

Took the cooler to 5 day volleyball tourney last week. Refilled beer/water contents a few times (because of the odd phenomenon where beer keep leaving the cooler, from the parents after a long day) when we got home on the 5th day the diaper ice packs were still half frozen.

Exterior looks like it did when we brought it on board. Although I do have a canvas cover coming in the next few weeks.

And one last final thought. The Admiral was/is always right!

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
nautibeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
nICE post

dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
What anchor debate? I'd guess 98% of those who read the debates did not rush out and buy a new anchor. Except Kevin of course but he bought his first and then started debating his choice.

But a big Tundra, that is worth considering. For those of us lucky enough to go to a V'ball young girls tourney (another this weekend for us) a cool beverage or two is the ticket. What rode did you use to tie it down?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
I have a Roadie for my Dusky and its a great little cooler for fish and drinks.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
What anchor debate? I'd guess 98% of those who read the debates did not rush out and buy a new anchor. Except Kevin of course but he bought his first and then started debating his choice.

But a big Tundra, that is worth considering. For those of us lucky enough to go to a V'ball young girls tourney (another this weekend for us) a cool beverage or two is the ticket. What rode did you use to tie it down?
Actually, it fit perfectly in the bed of my truck (ironically a tundra) and allowed for easy access as I set it back a few inches from the tail gate.

But good luck getting out of truck with only two men. With ice packs, beverages and food, it had to be 300+lbs. While a sign of quality, also a sign of this thing is not meant for portability.

I did order a Yeti Tank for the purpose pictured for a guys trip in May for spot prawn and lingcod fishing in the San Juans. I think it should do the trick.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautibeaver View Post
Actually, it fit perfectly in the bed of my truck (ironically a tundra) and allowed for easy access as I set it back a few inches from the tail gate.

But good luck getting out of truck with only two men. With ice packs, beverages and food, it had to be 300+lbs. While a sign of quality, also a sign of this thing is not meant for portability.

I did order a Yeti Tank for the purpose pictured for a guys trip in May for spot prawn and lingcod fishing in the San Juans. I think it should do the trick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1427478393.379893.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	38635with the picture now

Old 03-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
I'll second (or third) the vote for a good cooler. I as on the fence for a couple of years and finally bit the bullet last summer. We ultimately got an Engel, which is similar to the Yeti but was a little less expensive. We did a five day trip over the 4th of July and still had ice when we got back. Aside from precooling, the other issue is how often you open the cooler. We decided to use the Engel to hold ice and back-up supplies, and use our old coleman for drinks where it is opened frequently. When the ice in the coleman gets low, we grab another bag from the Engle. In fact, using it that way, at the end of the trip there wasn't more than a quart of water in the bottom of the Engle. One year in the sun and still looks new.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
A vote here for the Yeti Tundra. Went through a succession of increasingly more expensive lesser beasts that couldn't hold ice more than a day before biting the bullet and shelling out for the Yeti. And for you boaters in the PNW, it's rated bear proof!

With a cushion, it makes a good, sturdy cockpit seat and with a soft case LifeSling on the rail behind it for a backrest, it's quite comfy. And one doesn't have to go far for a refill.

Only minor problem we've had with it is the seals are so effective that sometimes we have to crack open the drain plug to open the lid. We'll live with that happily.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:39 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
I have a 75 on the boat that the kids got us a few years ago and then the kids got us this for Christmas .Great for short trips .
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #10
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I have drooled over them but they are too heavy for me. By the time one puts a couple of bags of ice and a decent catch of fish, too much work to lift out of the boat a 17' whaler which is low to the dock.
I'm sticking with my Igloos for now. I have an ice maker at home and freeze blocks of ice at the fishing camp so that works ok for me.
If I needed something for the back deck of the trawler I'd probably get one.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Florence
Vessel Name: Jubilee
Vessel Model: Prima Seahorse
Owning several different size Yetis by gift, I am a little disappointed in their ice keeping. Yes, very sturdy, well made and replacement parts available, but certainly not portable when full. We actually fill our Yeti in place on the boat due to weight. I note that most positive comments came from cooler climates. Boating in AL summers certainly test any cooler, and it's ability to maintain ice. That said, many fishing boats on the Gulf swear by their Yeti. They start with a cooler full of crushed ice, obviously fulfilling the pre-cool suggestion. I have not tried the suggestion of pre-cooling, but certainly will this summer. For me, considering costs, weight, and my desired performance, think I will stick with Igloo. But I'm not giving them back !
sea hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #12
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
My Yeti is by far the best cooler I have ever owned. And if it can survive the desert heat and out perform any other cooler, I'm a happy camper. Now to be honest though, I use the Yeti primarily as a storage for all the Ice to use on the other ice chests.
Also, as mentioned above, pre cooling helps an awful lot. When it's 100 plus degrees the block ice lasts 3-5 days and the bag ice last 2-3 days. I've learned that the Beer consumption increases dramatically on hotter days which in turn requires opening coolers more often. This is a serious problem!
Thanks to the Yeti, I'm able to restock the other cooler with fresh ice when restocking the beer supply.
Thank you Yeti.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:40 PM   #13
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Timely thread as a coworker and I where joking about the cost and if they where really worth it or not. Hmmm...

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #14
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Can't see spending that kind of money on a cooler. Any cooler works if you cool it down as described. The more you open the less time the ice will last. I'll stick with the trusty Coleman.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:16 PM   #15

City: SOMERS POINT, NJ
Vessel Name: SOJOURN
Vessel Model: SWIFT TRAWLER 44
OK my, 2 Yeti cents....
In Annapolis 2 years ago, 6 boat owners on bikes doing our usual bike constitutional - Stopped in Fawcett’s marine store and you know the drill - you always need "something" from a marine supply store - well we started debating Yeti’s. We all had other “feed them ice” coolers which were marginal at best. Needless to say, $1,700 later, we were the proud owners of 3 new Yeti’s….which were delivered to our dock by Fawcett’s staff. Unless it falls overboard or borrowed by one of my kids – I am sure I will never have to purchase another cooler…….
SOJOURN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
I have a 75 on the boat that the kids got us a few years ago and then the kids got us this for Christmas .Great for short trips .

Would you say those softies are worth the 300-350$. Been looking at them for a bit for wife's back of car.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
Can't see spending that kind of money on a cooler. Any cooler works if you cool it down as described. The more you open the less time the ice will last. I'll stick with the trusty Coleman.

Owned a few colemans. Last one most expensive one they make and marine model. I tossed it in garbage after the yeti.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautibeaver View Post
Owned a few colemans. Last one most expensive one they make and marine model. I tossed it in garbage after the yeti.

Sorry, let me clarify, this was simply my opinion. Did not mean it to sound so harsh.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Little River, SC
Vessel Name: Morning Starr
Vessel Model: Marine Trader DC
No debate, YETI!
PuppyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #20

City: Redlands
Ok, I get the Yeti for the truck or camping. But for for the boat, why not get a 12 volt fridge/freezer and be done with it?
EdgeStar
63 Qt. 12V DC Portable Fridge/Freezer
Operates as a portable freezer or refrigerator
Volume: 63 qt. capacity
Easy to use control panel
Temperature: -8 to 50 degrees F
$559.00
Arch