Ford Lehman vs Cat 3208

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just to maintain a semblance of being on topic: we have Lehmans.

Beyond that, I restored this a few years ago and had a lot if fun with it.

Attachments

• E0FE608C-C77C-44CD-AD40-94076859E59B.jpeg
    E0FE608C-C77C-44CD-AD40-94076859E59B.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 79
  • B1251C3E-1CE5-43F0-9EE2-7F8BA274C818.jpeg
    B1251C3E-1CE5-43F0-9EE2-7F8BA274C818.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 77
Once again, thank you all for your informed input. I apologize for putting you all through the exercise as we won't be purchasing either boat. As many have said "buy the boat that suits". Upon closer inspection of both we're moving on and still searching.

Due to all of the good input here in this thread I won't hesitate to look at a boat with either Lehmans or Cat 3208. Though I prefer the Lehamans if they have the power for the job.

Good luck with your search. I love my trawler but I really miss searching for one.

I co-owned a 1979 Californian 42 LRC for 10 years. Great engines. The only problem we had was the injector pumps had to be rebuilt. Not cheap BTW. Cat parts are not cheap but they're solid engines. My ex-partner still owns the boat and they're still running great I was told by several mechanics that the 3208s ars throw away engine because they're not sleeved. Also they take up a lot of room but that Californian's ER was big enough to get around them. I'm looking at a boat now with Lehman 275s in it now. Much more room to work around. Good luck in your search.

... I prefer the Lehmans if they have the power for the job.
Having Lehmans, once on TF I raised if they had adequate power for a DeFever48; the response was a resounding "yes". I think one DF48 here has Perkins 135s, not so different, and later Lehmans are 135hp (the so called "Super" version has other pluses,incl no frequent oil changing for the injector pump).

DD. It is true that these engines take up a lot of room. My only complaint about them. I also was told they were throw away engines. However that is total BS. It is true they do not have sleeves but to rebuild one you hown the cylinders out and install larger, non-Cat pistons. These after market pistons come with one more ring than the original engine. What a difference in oil consumption. Almost zero between oil changes and that was with me using my engine for both running, trolling and driving my freezer all night long. Even after running all night on basically idle, the engine only smoke for less than a minute leaving the anchorage. Engine ran 24/7 only shutting done to do my daily checks. It was a joy to have the rebuilt 3208NA. Stevestone Marine Mechanical did the rebuild, a Cat certified repair shop. They also did my twin disc. Great bunch of guys.

I have a single FL with 7,000 + hours. I've placed 3,000 hours on it in 20 years.

Have not suffered a single breakdown or failure to start.

I replace the accessories; heat exchangers, impeller, pumps, hoses etc on a schedule.

Parts, as others have mentioned, is ridiculously inexpensive compared to other engines, so replacing accessories prior to failure is doable.

The engine is a simple design, simple to work on.

I drilled and tapped the drain on the injection pump and added a hose to facilitate spill free injection pump oil changes. Having to change the pump oil while on a cruise is inconvienient but the hose makes it more tolerable.

In addition to American Diesel, Harbor Service in Everett stocks most Leman parts and Pat's Engines in Seattle work on them for Pacific NW boaters.

Mike at Harbor Service worked with Norm Dibble at Doc Freemans and Norm went to work for Pat when Doc Freeman closed. Both individuals are knowledgeable and very helpful.
Norm Dibble was the West Coast Lehman guru and conducted his famous Lehman seminars for years in Seattle prior to his death.

Last edited:
Ford Lehman vs Cat

Co-incidentally I have had both. Without repeating all of the comments already made I prefer the Lehmans. Good reliability, more space, more economy, BUT, you must be willing to live with the lesser power, which in my case is not an issue.

Imo. They both have solid reputations and track records. The single big thing that I have seen cause issues with the 3208 is lack of use. They were designed to be worked every day as are most every old school diesel. Take care of them and they will last a very long time.

When a "mechanic" says they are throw away engine's because they are not wet sleeved. It tells me they aren't much of a mechanic. Getting a block sleeved happens every day somewhere around the world. It's a straight forward job and if done by a competent Machinist will be trouble free for the life of the engine.

Co-incidentally I have had both. Without repeating all of the comments already made I prefer the Lehmans. Good reliability, more space, more economy, BUT, you must be willing to live with the lesser power, which in my case is not an issue.

Agree that power is not an issue. Unless you are a speed demon.

Our 40' boat is around 40,000 lbs with a WL length of 37'. It cruises at 8 knots with the single Lehman turning 1710 rpm and consumes 1.87 gal/hr. It's a displacement hull and hull speed is 7.9 knots.

We have "powered" through most of the rapids in British Columbia, sometimes a hour or so plus or minus from slack and have not experienced any desire for more power.

Last edited:
I had twin FL turbos. Funny I can’t remember if they were 275s or 375s. They smoked. Leaked and at wot they deposited unburned fuel on the transom. My current 3208 425s smoke on warm up. Don’t leak and give me 1 gal per mile at 10 knots. When looking for a new boat I said no Lehmans, Detroit’s, or Volvo’s. Cumins and Cats only. Don’t get mad at me for showing my prejudice.

I had twin FL turbos. Funny I can’t remember if they were 275s or 375s. They smoked. Leaked and at wot they deposited unburned fuel on the transom. My current 3208 425s smoke on warm up. Don’t leak and give me 1 gal per mile at 10 knots. When looking for a new boat I said no Lehmans, Detroit’s, or Volvo’s. Cumins and Cats only. Don’t get mad at me for showing my prejudice.

Ha, when we were looking I said no Detroits, Volvos, turbo's or computers/circuit boards:thumb: Have two Lehman 135na's and love them.

When a "mechanic" says they are throw away engine's because they are not wet sleeved. It tells me they aren't much of a mechanic. Getting a block sleeved happens every day somewhere around the world. It's a straight forward job and if done by a competent Machinist will be trouble free for the life of the engine.

Just quoting what I was told. My last boat had 3208s and they are great engines. In 9 years they didn't have a hiccup but did have to have the injector pumps rebuilt.

Airstream yes they are sleeved engines. My new to me boat has the Lehman 275SPs so I guess we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom