Ford lehman 12v Fuel pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow even less than I thought. It must literally be only leakage past the injectors.

Ken

Detroits return far more than they burn because the fuel lubes and cools the injector pump. Detroits are actually a pretty good fuel polishing system. Lehmans on to other hand return very little. So if a mechanic or fuel polisher tells you that all diesels return lots of fuel, look for a different mechanic or polisher.

I learn new stuff every day... For those of you who DON'T know if you might have fuel tank leaks I recommend ONE thing... Watch the tank and your bilge as they're filling them... I could have saved lots of stress and money had I caught the leak early... Watching 1000 gph of fuel pumping out of the side of your boat into the harbor is a frightening sight... Seeing a foot of fuel in the bilge and gallons flowing out from under your tank didn't take the edge off either... Every muscle in my body is sore today after sprinting to the boatyard office and scrambling to shut off hard wired bilge pumps...

I have installed "FACET" brand electric fuel pumps on my Lehmans and they work well. This company makes a model with an all plastic body whick I chose just to avoid the surface rust that you get from salt air on the steel models. I made some blanks out of 1/4" aluminium to cover the holes where the original pumps were bolted to the block and I carry a 3rd pump as a spare, they are mounted in the fuel line between the filters and the motor and are very accessible and easily changed and as mentioned earlier , make bleeding a very simple exercise

Electric Fuel Pump

Hello all - a very interesting and helpful discussion.

I had a 1993, 36' Nauticat with a 90 HP, 4 cylinder Lehman diesel. I installed a 12v electric fuel pump to take the place of the mechanical one. My mechanic also wired up the 12v fuel pump in sync with the oil pressure sensor so that if the engine lost oil pressure then the fuel pump would automatically shut off - thus adding further protection to the engine.

I owned the boat for 7 years with this setup and sold it 3 years ago to a friend. Over the past 10 years it has traveled thousands of miles and is still using the same electric pump that I installed in 2010.

Cheers!

Wally

Hello all - a very interesting and helpful discussion.

I had a 1993, 36' Nauticat with a 90 HP, 4 cylinder Lehman diesel. I installed a 12v electric fuel pump to take the place of the mechanical one. My mechanic also wired up the 12v fuel pump in sync with the oil pressure sensor so that if the engine lost oil pressure then the fuel pump would automatically shut off - thus adding further protection to the engine.

I owned the boat for 7 years with this setup and sold it 3 years ago to a friend. Over the past 10 years it has traveled thousands of miles and is still using the same electric pump that I installed in 2010.

Cheers!

Wally

Connecting the pump to the oil pressure switch sounds like a great idea..... However that tells me that the fuel pump wouldn’t kick on until the engine built up oil pressure. That would make for a long cranking period before the engine started. Was that the case or am I missing something?

Hi Cigatoo;

I never had a problem starting the engine with the oil pressure switch in the 12v fuel pump circuit. The engine always started quickly - even in colder weather and the oil pressure gauge would "jump" up into its normal pressure range in just a few seconds after I started the engine. So if there were a few seconds when the fuel pump was not running, it did not make any difference to the engine starting.

I also had a power supply bypass switch at the fuel pump that I could use to run the fuel pump manually - with or without the engine running. That proved to be a great setup when I was changing fuel filters and bleeding air out of the system.

Cheers!

Wally

Hi Cigatoo;

I never had a problem starting the engine with the oil pressure switch in the 12v fuel pump circuit. The engine always started quickly - even in colder weather and the oil pressure gauge would "jump" up into its normal pressure range in just a few seconds after I started the engine. So if there were a few seconds when the fuel pump was not running, it did not make any difference to the engine starting.

I also had a power supply bypass switch at the fuel pump that I could use to run the fuel pump manually - with or without the engine running. That proved to be a great setup when I was changing fuel filters and bleeding air out of the system.

Cheers!

Wally
:thumb:

Any 12v fuel pump that's rated for diesel and has a flow rate of double your max usage will work fine. I have a 12v pump on all my diesels for filter changes and bleeding. Each will run an engine on its own. I buy the pumps on eBay, usually for less than $20 and haven't had one fail yet. They're cheap enough, buy two. Then you have a spare.

Lepke, Is one of these the cheap ebay pumps you use? The reason I'm asking is that I am completely reconfiguring our engine fuel supply and want to incorporate a priming pump into the system like Jay Leonard's (but not as professional/heavy duty...very nice setup BTW, Jay). I've looked at the scores & scores of these pumps on ebay but they don't give me the lift specs. I don't need much , less than 18" for sure, but if it's a gravity fed pump it wouldn't do me any good at all. It's possible I would use it as an emergency get home pump too but normally it would only be used less than 10 minutes a year, which is why the cheap ones appeal to me.

Attachments

• cheap pmp.jpg
    cheap pmp.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 27
  • cheap pump2.jpg
    cheap pump2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 26
Big block Chevy block off plates are exact fits, $7 or $8.
I have installed "FACET" brand electric fuel pumps on my Lehmans and they work well. This company makes a model with an all plastic body whick I chose just to avoid the surface rust that you get from salt air on the steel models. I made some blanks out of 1/4" aluminium to cover the holes where the original pumps were bolted to the block and I carry a 3rd pump as a spare, they are mounted in the fuel line between the filters and the motor and are very accessible and easily changed and as mentioned earlier , make bleeding a very simple exercise

Not if it is connected to the hot side of the switch. That is where I wired mine. Pump comes on as soon as the ignition switch is keyed on. Wiring it this way also enables use for bleeding by merely using the ignition switch.
Connecting the pump to the oil pressure switch sounds like a great idea..... However that tells me that the fuel pump wouldn’t kick on until the engine built up oil pressure. That would make for a long cranking period before the engine started. Was that the case or am I missing something?

That seems like the way to wire it..

...I've looked at the scores & scores of these pumps on ebay but they don't give me the lift specs. I don't need much , less than 18" for sure, but if it's a gravity fed pump it wouldn't do me any good at all. It's possible I would use it as an emergency get home pump too but normally it would only be used less than 10 minutes a year, which is why the cheap ones appeal to me.

I installed this 12 years ago. I use it for filter changes on the engine/generator primarily. It's great for bleeding the system when I change filters or clean the Racor filter housings. I did use it once for a fuel transfer pump (too slow) and it will run the generator/engine. It's between the tanks and the first filters before the generator/engine (old picture).

I bought it at one of the auto chain stores for about $50. Before I bought the pump, I called AD and NL for the their specs and I matched it to the appropriate pump.

Here’s the spec sheet for Facet® CUBE® Fuel Pumps.

https://www.facet-purolator.com/tech-information/

Attachments

• 277F54B1-1E20-4B23-9708-FB7D0C948601.jpg
    277F54B1-1E20-4B23-9708-FB7D0C948601.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 29
Detroits return far more than they burn because the fuel lubes and cools the injector pump. Detroits are actually a pretty good fuel polishing system. Lehmans on to other hand return very little. So if a mechanic or fuel polisher tells you that all diesels return lots of fuel, look for a different mechanic or polisher.

If you're talking a mechanical DD there is no injector pump. DDEC's, yes. The former have the large return over used ratio. The latter I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom