Ford lehman 12v Fuel pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish

Vessel Name
My Lady
Vessel Make
Formosa 42 Double Cabin
Anybody use a Walbro FRB 8 fuel pump on a 2715e?? Any other recommendations??
Thanks folks... About to order two...

Are you planning to replace the mechanical lift pump or use it as a supplemental/priming pump?

Supplement

I have a Walbro plumbed in as a priming pump/emergency fuel pump. I don't remember what model number it is though.

Attachments

• fuel system.jpg
    fuel system.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 152
I do. And, I removed the mechanical pump from the engine. Works fine for me and I do not see any downside to doing so. If one fails, I will install the spare but the fact is they almost never do so. Plus, replacing the electric pump is far easier than replacing the on-engine mechanical pump and no worries about a failed pump diaphram pump diesel fuel into the crankcase and risking an engine failure. Plus, it's thhen much easier to prime filters. What's not to like?

You're using the FRB 8? How did you wire it?? Do you have to turn the pump on seperately from starting the engine?? I'm pretty ignorant about electrical stuff...

When you turn on the key, the fuel solenoid is powered. Easy.

In fact it’s great solution because the Ford pumps are cheap as dirt and the mounting point usually leaks oil.

It is the frb8? For each engine right? Another guy was using the frb13 with 6 to 8 psi. The frb 8 has 8 to 11psi...

If you use an electric pump is it necessary to remove and block off the mechanical pump? If you leave it on is it necessary to cap the in/out ports?

Do you have a recommendation which walbro pump to use now?? Three week wait for the frb13...

For the 120-135 you can use one of the low volume unitsIMG_0926.jpg

Frb 20 would be ok??

If you remove the mechanical pump, a big block chevy block-off plate is a perfect fit. Be sure to use a gasket sealant such as Permatex #2. Thesexare available on many automotive websites, less than $10.
If you use an electric pump is it necessary to remove and block off the mechanical pump? If you leave it on is it necessary to cap the in/out ports?

I once had an electric pump to supplement the mechanical pump on a large gasser. It would fuel starve at high RPMs. I just added it in line before the mechanical. Worked fine.

Only problem was that the constant "TICK" drove me nuts at trolling speed. I put it on a switch so I could shut it down at low speeds.

pete

I just used a low pressure fuel pump from napa. It's worked great for that purpose.

Any 12v fuel pump that's rated for diesel and has a flow rate of double your max usage will work fine. I have a 12v pump on all my diesels for filter changes and bleeding. Each will run an engine on its own. I buy the pumps on eBay, usually for less than $20 and haven't had one fail yet. They're cheap enough, buy two. Then you have a spare.

Not sure what my max fuel usage rate is... Anybody know for 2715e??

Thanks!

At 135HP and ~ 18hp per gallon for engine of that design the engine COULD theoretically use 7.5 GPH or 8 GPH for simple figuring. Maybe about another 10 or 15% for fuel return since the return on these engines is not a lot compared to many other engines..

So maybe just over 9 gph the pump would have to move. Allow for 10gph.

You want to size the pump to supply the engines capacity, not just what you think you may use or you could strangle the engine if more power were ever needed , even if for some strange reason.

Just my thoughts???

Not sure what my max fuel usage rate is... Anybody know for 2715e??

The max rate at WOT will be about 8gph plus whatever is returned which will be no more than 1-2gph.

Ken

Bob Smith used to run his demo Lehman with no receptacle for the return line. Lehmans return very little fuel per hour likely no more than a few ounces.
The max rate at WOT will be about 8gph plus whatever is returned which will be no more than 1-2gph.

Ken

Wow...

WOW what??

That the return fuel quantity is so low OR that you need to allow for so much fuel use.

If the latter there is a big difference between what most of us actually use and what the engine is capable of using. The capable would only come up if you ran the engine full tilt where it is trying to produce full HP. But you do need to allow for it.

Most of the vessels these Lehmans are installed in and the **way they are run** usually means they only burn 2 or 3 GPHr.

I was surprised how little returned to the tank... The fuel polishing guy said the engines used one third of what was pumped to it... Somebody's wrong...guessing its the polishing guy

Since I said wow, read my thread from this morning... "Fuel tank disaster..." Trying to get 20 gallons of fuel out of my bilge so I can reconnect the wires to my bilge pumps... Notice from the Coasties that if they have to clean up what I spilled it's a minimum $47,000 per day!! I'll have to owe it to them...

I was surprised how little returned to the tank... The fuel polishing guy said the engines used one third of what was pumped to it... Somebody's wrong...guessing its the polishing guy

Different engines return different amounts. Lehman’s return very little, Detroit Diesels return much more than they use. Everything else is somewhere in between.

Ken

I took the last seminar that Bob Smith gave. He said that they would return between a pint and a quart in a days running.

Not very much...

Back
Top Bottom