Ford Fiat motors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amelia Rose

Vessel Name
Amelia Rose
Vessel Make
California 34
I'm in the process of buying a 1980 Californian 34 and it has a pair of the Ford Fiat Diesels, SSD-655MT with approx 2500hrs. Does anyone have insite on these motors and or know any mechanics who may? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The deafening silence suggests this is an odd one. Forget the FIAT acronym "Fix It Again Tony". Fiat built commercial vehicles, so a Fiat diesel is possible. I can`t google an old connection between the 2 companies. Is there any Italian indication on the engine components? You might need to join boatdiesel.com.

"Ford Fiat Diesels, SSD-655MT"

And assuming you will do your own wrenching , the parts store is located ???

Here is the link to the below quote:

Fiat/Iveco Engines [Archive] - Yachting and Boating World Forums

"Was in charge of maintenance for a fleet of 147 Iveco Ford Eurocargo's back in the nineties from 7.5 tonners to tractor units. Reasonably new fleet, but I don't know anything about Iveco engines other than changing oils and filters.

These things were hire vehicles (driven by paddy's) and many were hot seat (one driver gets out at the end of the working day and another gets in at the start of his), so they did not have an easy life.

The fact that I never saw inside anything further than the rocker cover speaks volumes.

"Was told once when on an Iveco training course at Winsford, that the reason Ford went into partnership with Iveco was to get their hands on the engines. Ford could not afford the development work to make an engine so advanced and able to comply with the then Euro 2 emission regulations.

so ford Engineers must rate them highly too."

Last edited:
  1. Iveco Diesel Engines

https://www.maesco.com/products/iveco/iveco.html

<li class="g">Since its inception in 1975, FPT (formerly Iveco Motors) has been responsible for upholding the Fiat tradition in the field of the diesel engine - a tradition that ...

<li class="g">Iveco Diesel Engine Product Range

https://www.maesco.com/products/iveco/iveco_range/iveco_range.html

<li class="g">The FPT / Iveco diesel engine line covers outputs from 40 to 1600 kW with four families of engines: SOFIM HP1, NEF, CURSOR, and VECTOR. Click here to ...

<li class="g">Iveco diesel engines - Powertech Engines Inc

www.powertechengines.com/IvecoIndustrialEngines.html

Sep 21, 2004 - As the above photo illustrates, IVECO MOTORS offers industrial diesel engines in four new families: the 2.3 and 3.0 liter SOFIM HPI engines, ...

sounds like you have aifo-iveco engines.Two of my uncles had fiat trucks from 71 thru 2005.Only time there was a major issue was when someone mistimed the injector pump and two pistons got fried(hole clean through top,next to injector heat plate in piston).Also,FIAT stands for first in all trials.They're good motors in my opinion,but I'm just an automotive and marine engineer,what would I know.

No personal knowledge of them but they appear to be from Ford Power Products and are 6 cyl, 335 cu inches and 172HP at 3200 RPM. I assume they are the marine turbocharged version of the SSD-655 which seems to have gone out of production in the 1980's. Parts and knowledgeable mechanics will be an issue as already suggested.

Thanks all for the feed back. We seatrialed the boat and all went perfect. Both motors started cold with very little smoke. They were smooth though all rpm ranges and never got hot running flat out for several minutes. We are moving forward with the purchase and very excited!

Good luck to you.
Sounds like a good deal.

IF you buy the boat , buy Da Books !

This will be the service and complete rebuild manual, may cost $100 each .

The owners handbook gives simple operator info, barely usefull.

The maint books will have the real deal on service and repair.

Hopefully you will never need them except as interesting reading ,

BUT should something happen the info to you or the fellow that wanders down the dock will be Invaluable!

Also the parts book. It will be needed to I.D. parts and cut down on difficult descriptions.

I had a Fiat "F**K it's another tractor" , "fix it again Tony" in Tidahapah.
This was an 8210 , 14 lt 220 HP at 2200 RPM naturally aspirated engine.
A really nice bit of kit. Changed out due to my own bad handy work at the time.
These are great engines.
Fiat "Iveco" have been building marine engines for ages. At one stage they even build large bore slow speed engines.
Spares can be a little expensive but not usually hard to get due to their large use in farm and truck use.
Cheers
Benn

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom