Old 08-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #41
Scraping Paint

City: -
One of the nicest ever boat designs is the Alaska Limit Seiner. Virtually all of them incorporate a flying bridge. Initially open, today most seiners have an enclosed flying bridge which tends to make the boat look awkward and top heavy although functionally it makes a lot of sense. But the original open flying bridges enhance the look of the boats, in my opinion.

Workboats like the Gikumi, which was designed and built in the early 50s to serve a lumber mill up the coast had similarly designed flying bridges and I think they are very good looking.

From these boat designs it's a short step to what was done on recreational boats like Grand Banks and the like. I've seen pictures of some GBs that have had their flying bridges removed and they are nice looking boats, too. But the inclusion of the flying bridge works aesthetically for me as long as the bridge is designed to complement the lines of the boat. We never use our flying bridge but I don't mind the look of it at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4129132120.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	12689

Name:	image-4237404898.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	12690

Name:	image-287280944.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	12691
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #42
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
There is the odd boat which looks good either way. This Alaska in my view is one of those. Given the money no object situation, I think I'd still go for the sedan. They look great and no clutter up top, but hugely roomy inside anyway, and a nice large pilot door each side for air.
Sedan version...
TEST - Alaska 46 Sedan Cruiser-News & Reviews-Trade A Boat
or
Gold Coast City Marina & Shipyard » Unveiling the 2nd generation Alaska 46 Sedan

Flybridge version
Alaska Motor Yachts » Alaska 46 Flybridge Gen II
Alaska 46 Flybridge
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:20 AM   #43
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I agree Peter, there are boats that look great with or without the flybridge. The Sabre 42 is another example IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
299_ext-running.jpg   3914294_-1_20120517032158_3_0.jpg  

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:41 AM   #44
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Peter, I will see your Alaskan and raise you my Flemming 55.(if only)
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:52 AM   #45
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
And I'll see your Flemming 55 and raise you my Grand Banks Aleutian 53 or 59 - still deciding...seeing my Alaska 46 Gen II is already on the table in the pile...whooo...this might be getting too hot for me. Oh, and sorry about the thread hijack folks, but all the above have great flybridges, right..?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:41 AM   #46
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
The San Juan 40 is also a sedan with an optional flybridge that I don't think anyone would be tempted to SawzAll off:
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:30 AM   #47
Guru

City: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
If a NA was designing a boat to be the best looking and performing boat that he'd be proud of in the company of other designers it probably wouldn't have a FB.
And if the manufacturer wants to sell a lot of boats it probably will have one.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #48
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
flybridges

Personally I think the flybridge is a great use for a otherwise unused space, as long as the cabin top is long enough to give the right look to a boat. On my old boat Volunteer we used the flybridge all the time.. except in the rain and when it was too chilly to be up there.. It was a great extension of usable space at anchor, a great place for docking as I could see all the corners of the boat, a great view when running the boat in shallow waters, the best place to sit for sundowner's, a great spot for lazing in the sun ( yes even in the northwest ) Our current boat is a express cruiser and I really miss the space, the next boat is another trawler with a flybridge.. I cannot imagine Volunteer without the flybridge.. she would really have been a fugly boat

HOLLYWOOD
Attached Thumbnails
julies pics 2008 043.jpg  
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:56 AM   #49
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Next should be an argument on the best color for a trawler.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #50
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
The San Juan 40 is also a sedan with an optional flybridge that I don't think anyone would be tempted to SawzAll off:
Sorry, can't agree on that one. In my opinion that fly bridge looks like an after thought. It is too small to be of much use. The people are sitting up in the air, and exposed on 3 sides. Aesthetically the radar arch is too tall. I think they messed up the beautiful lines of a well built boat. There are many fly bridges that work so well with a boat's design that the boat looks better with one. I don't think this one meets that standard. That's a very expensive boat to have such a small fly bridge.

Remember Eric's remark? I resemble that remark.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Personally I think the flybridge is a great use for a otherwise unused space, as long as the cabin top is long enough to give the right look to a boat. On my old boat Volunteer we used the flybridge all the time.. except in the rain and when it was too chilly to be up there.. It was a great extension of usable space at anchor, a great place for docking as I could see all the corners of the boat, a great view when running the boat in shallow waters, the best place to sit for sundowner's, a great spot for lazing in the sun ( yes even in the northwest ) Our current boat is a express cruiser and I really miss the space, the next boat is another trawler with a flybridge.. I cannot imagine Volunteer without the flybridge.. she would really have been a fugly boat

HOLLYWOOD
Hollywood's bridge is well integrated into the design and gives useful space. Following is a picture of my 1973 Uniflite 28' with almost the same bridge as the San Juan 40. Surely they could have done better than that on a half million dollar boat.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #52
Guru

City: Georgia
Flybridges are most useful and look better when incorporated with a boat deck / hard top over the aft deck space. I've seen a few where there is room to climb the ladder and sit down. Maybe two people up there. A third person wanting to be "up top" has to hang onto the ladder or sit in someone's lap (and she better look good too!) They need to be functional spaces, not just a spot to drive the boat from.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #53
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Our enclosed flybridge (sitting room for about 10) came in real handy in Glacier Bay this summer with visiblity near zero and calved ice all around. The sight lines from the lower helm were not acceptable. In the PNW and Alaska we have plenty of sunny days to enjoy the FB - we're having them right now in lower BC. We've been on our bridge on Christmas Day when the sun is out due to the solarium effect. In nasty weather and when docking the lower helm is preferred - it is warm, closer to coffee and buns and easy to get to dock, lines and fenders.

Our boat is very deep and heavy so the windage of the FB not an issue when docking in less than 25 knots. With a Searay, Bayliner, Mainship or Riviera windage can be a real issue on a full tent if not downright dangerous when docking and the wind is up.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Next should be an argument on the best color for a trawler.
The best color for a trawler is a black hull and white superstructure.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #55
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Hollywood8118:
Congratulations! You have a beautifull boat. In my concept, that is a real example of a TRAWLER.
God bless ya
Portuguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post

Our boat is very deep and heavy so the windage of the FB not an issue when docking in less than 25 knots. With a Searay, Bayliner, Mainship or Riviera windage can be a real issue on a full tent if not downright dangerous when docking and the wind is up.
sunchaser, house boats with their light weight, big superstructures, and shallow drafts really fall into this category. Many people are running sail boats with no sails up.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #57

City: Bocas del Toro, Panama
Vessel Name: Delta Swizzler
Vessel Model: 1988 58' Vantare
Having a flybridge you can use and use safely has to be high on the list. Ww were lucky enough that the boat we found had flybridge access directly from the pilothouse. I've always had a concern while underway, someone has to walk to the back of the boat, exposed and out of view to climb the ladder to the flybridge. Having the stairs makes it so much easier, safer and enjoyable to use the flybridge. Being able to have it open or enclosed expands the season and useable time.
Attached Thumbnails
stairs.jpg  
Dswizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dswizzler View Post
Having a flybridge you can use and use safely has to be high on the list. Ww were lucky enough that the boat we found had flybridge access directly from the pilothouse. I've always had a concern while underway, someone has to walk to the back of the boat, exposed and out of view to climb the ladder to the flybridge. Having the stairs makes it so much easier, safer and enjoyable to use the flybridge. Being able to have it open or enclosed expands the season and useable time.
Inside steps to the flybridge is the way to go. I love the Europa style trawlers, but on mine I was always concerned about people moving up or down. Boats are moving surfaces. When something happens out of sight, it can be a major disaster. When the boat has a really good raised pilot house, i'm not so certain that I would enclose a fly bridge.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #59
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Just for looks these boats I think look better w the FB.
Most all the larger fish boats, the Camano Troll, the Uniflite shown and Dswizzlier's boat. Peter's Boat looks better from the side with the FB.

Those that suffer aesthetically are most pleasure boats under 50' such as:
Sabre, NT, GB, CHB and the San Juan.
On the San Juan shown one would be visually further ahead by removing the antenna hardware, the hand rails and the flag and perhaps the swim step.

You guys are think'in in the box. You're so used to seeing boats with the FB that one without looks strange. If you asked an artist to draw/paint a picture of a trawler yacht (assuming they knew what "trawler" was) they almost always render one with the FB. I grew up w boats in the 50s and there were very few FBs. And those that did exist were mostly add-ons that didn't look good themselves. Or well integrated on larger boats (CC comes to mind) and visually they were just an upper windshield behind the pilothouse and the people stood or sat on the aft cabin roof. A very good arrangement not unlike the Krogen and Eagles. And to a great extent I still view others as a negative add-on. Perhaps there's a hidden force here like looking "sporty". Most everyone would respond positively to that. Or some other hidden positive force that makes the FB visually desirable. I'm NOT suggesting you guys all hack off your FBs but even though they are part of your boat try to look at them and ask truthfully "do they really add to the boat's looks"? Some do and some don't. More don't in my book.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #60

City: Bocas del Toro, Panama
Vessel Name: Delta Swizzler
Vessel Model: 1988 58' Vantare
Mine is a Vantare, not alot of them out there, but it workiing for us so far.
Dswizzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flybridge, pilothouse