Flybridge or Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eric - That FACT is a good point! But, it simply means more drinks for thems left aboard after the 65'er has passed by! - Only funnen!!

Ron, I love that nice big bridge you have on the Camano.

Thanks. That's one of the things we really like about the boat. It's a great place to sun bathe at rest or underway. I can lie down and take a nap on a mat while my wife runss the boat and still be ready for any questions or emergencies.

Some bloat boats are so built up that there is virtually no place to BE outside and enjoy the water.

A 4 ft wide cockpit aft doesn't cut it , nor does sitting on an aft deck over a cabin have much to do with the water , tho it is outside.

These boats need the flybridge , just to get a feeling of being on thev water.

Of course to use the area in the South , it too will probably be fully canvased , so it can get canned air.

Which sorta defeats the purpose.

There may or may not be advantages underway , only you can decide if you spend a high enough percentage of time actually underway.

FF

There you have it,some do and some don't.
One thing though, the access to a flybridge from an aft cabin configuration boat is so much easier than say from a saloon/Europa style.With a aft decker you are not climbing a vertical ladder, you have two steps to the aft cabin roof and the 3 steps to the flybridge..... My old mum was still accessing our flybridge well into her 80's, (she had to, that's where the champagne is served).
Andy, that last point you made is precisely why we have not got rid of the large (now mostly unused since the eutectic failed and I converted inside large frig to 12v), icebox in our cockpit. It sits under the upper deck ladder, and acts as a landing halfway up the ladder, which is therefore in two parts, each less steep than one ladder all the way up, as on most sedan/Europa styles. Those almost vertical ladders are, as you say, much less user-friendly than your/our arrangement. We figue that feature alone is worth the modest loss of cockpit space the icebox takes up.
I think you can see it here....

Attachments

• Image042.jpg
    Image042.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
FACT: The FB dosn't add to the seakindlyness of any boat and it opens the door to very hazardous conditions that mostly happen w boaters w low levels of experience, attentiveness and skills.

FACT? No, opinion, nothing more. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. :rolleyes:

Opinion: Almost all boats look better W/O the FB.

OK, that's better. You are stating your opinion. The Camano was originally available as a "Troll" model with a flybridge or a "Gnome" model without a flybridge. Very few Gnomes were ordered. The best I can tell, 5% or so of total production. So while your opinion is valid, it would be in the minority as far as the group of people buying boats like mine.

showimage.asp

autoimage-143407_BoatPic_Main.jpg-400-300.jpg

After having owned a no flybridge sedan for many years, we now have a boat with a flybridge and, despite boating in a cool climate, we would now not have it any other way. We do 90% of our piloting from the bridge and only use the lower helm in inclement weather. Yes, the boat looks a little out of proportion with the bridge (a bit too tall for its length) but, even in pretty rolly and windy conditions, the higher COG and windage have not been a concern. Love the excellent visibility and extra living/entertaining space the bridge affords.

Attachments

• Emily Anne.jpg
    Emily Anne.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCN0024.jpg
    DSCN0024.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN0064.jpg
    DSCN0064.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 168
IMO - And it seems per many of the posts to this thread...

Fly bridge is a usually appreciated boat part. Very useful too!

In effect: If looking for a bullet proof craft that absolutely cannot be toooo conflicted by the worst sea conditions - - > I recommend purchase of a Coast Guard rescue craft with real good seat belts so when it rolls over and rights itself in close duration 50' waves - you don't bump your head! :facepalm: :dance:

On a boat 42 to 45' approx I think a FB is ...Stupid...A 30' boat w a round bilge w a FB??? Stupid...

Eric: But what about boats that are between 31' and 41'? :lol:

OK, I get the impression you don't like fly bridges. That's fine. But tell us how this model, at 43 feet would look without one. Honestly.

Attachments

• Hobo[1].JPG
    Hobo[1].JPG
    37 KB · Views: 155
HaHa Larry M. You got me. I can endorse that FB. It dosn't have any of the bad effects of FB. Saw one on an Eagle 32 like that. The Eagle and the Krogen people know something about balance on a boat.

Another FB I saw on the trip south that reduces the ill effects of same is evident in this nice Canadian yacht. The shape not only reduces the effects of windage but I'll bet it limits the number of people on the FB. No FB is of course better but this looks like a semi reasonable compromise.

I don't really hate FBs and I've never heard of an accident resulting from one but to me it's basically bad design. If a NA was designing a boat to be the best looking and performing boat that he'd be proud of in the company of other designers it probably wouldn't have a FB. I feel the same way about transoms slanting fwd instead of aft. And some boat's sterns now look more like a hot tub than a boat but I haven't heard of one getting pooped by a stern sea either. But that dosn't mean I have to admire it.

Ron,
My opinion is that that's a fact. And as you say I'm expressing my opinion. That's what forums are for Eh?
I must say, however that your Trolls look better WITH the FB. There are some boats where that factual opinion applies.

Attachments

• DSCF0596 copy.JPG
    DSCF0596 copy.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
One of the nicest ever boat designs is the Alaska Limit Seiner. Virtually all of them incorporate a flying bridge. Initially open, today most seiners have an enclosed flying bridge which tends to make the boat look awkward and top heavy although functionally it makes a lot of sense. But the original open flying bridges enhance the look of the boats, in my opinion.

Workboats like the Gikumi, which was designed and built in the early 50s to serve a lumber mill up the coast had similarly designed flying bridges and I think they are very good looking.

From these boat designs it's a short step to what was done on recreational boats like Grand Banks and the like. I've seen pictures of some GBs that have had their flying bridges removed and they are nice looking boats, too. But the inclusion of the flying bridge works aesthetically for me as long as the bridge is designed to complement the lines of the boat. We never use our flying bridge but I don't mind the look of it at all.

image-4129132120.jpg

image-4237404898.jpg

image-287280944.jpg

Last edited:
There is the odd boat which looks good either way. This Alaska in my view is one of those. Given the money no object situation, I think I'd still go for the sedan. They look great and no clutter up top, but hugely roomy inside anyway, and a nice large pilot door each side for air.
Sedan version...
TEST - Alaska 46 Sedan Cruiser-News & Reviews-Trade A Boat
or
Gold Coast City Marina & Shipyard » Unveiling the 2nd generation Alaska 46 Sedan

Flybridge version
Alaska Motor Yachts » Alaska 46 Flybridge Gen II
Alaska 46 Flybridge

I agree Peter, there are boats that look great with or without the flybridge. The Sabre 42 is another example IMO.

Attachments

• 299_ext-running.jpg
    299_ext-running.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 3914294_-1_20120517032158_3_0.jpg
    3914294_-1_20120517032158_3_0.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 118
Peter, I will see your Alaskan and raise you my Flemming 55.(if only)

And I'll see your Flemming 55 and raise you my Grand Banks Aleutian 53 or 59 - still deciding...seeing my Alaska 46 Gen II is already on the table in the pile...whooo...this might be getting too hot for me. Oh, and sorry about the thread hijack folks, but all the above have great flybridges, right..?

The San Juan 40 is also a sedan with an optional flybridge that I don't think anyone would be tempted to SawzAll off:
08.jpg

If a NA was designing a boat to be the best looking and performing boat that he'd be proud of in the company of other designers it probably wouldn't have a FB.

And if the manufacturer wants to sell a lot of boats it probably will have one.

flybridges

Personally I think the flybridge is a great use for a otherwise unused space, as long as the cabin top is long enough to give the right look to a boat. On my old boat Volunteer we used the flybridge all the time.. except in the rain and when it was too chilly to be up there.. It was a great extension of usable space at anchor, a great place for docking as I could see all the corners of the boat, a great view when running the boat in shallow waters, the best place to sit for sundowner's, a great spot for lazing in the sun ( yes even in the northwest ) Our current boat is a express cruiser and I really miss the space, the next boat is another trawler with a flybridge.. I cannot imagine Volunteer without the flybridge.. she would really have been a fugly boat

HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• julies pics 2008 043.jpg
    julies pics 2008 043.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 163
The San Juan 40 is also a sedan with an optional flybridge that I don't think anyone would be tempted to SawzAll off:
08.jpg

Sorry, can't agree on that one. In my opinion that fly bridge looks like an after thought. It is too small to be of much use. The people are sitting up in the air, and exposed on 3 sides. Aesthetically the radar arch is too tall. I think they messed up the beautiful lines of a well built boat. There are many fly bridges that work so well with a boat's design that the boat looks better with one. I don't think this one meets that standard. That's a very expensive boat to have such a small fly bridge.

Remember Eric's remark? I resemble that remark.

Last edited:
Personally I think the flybridge is a great use for a otherwise unused space, as long as the cabin top is long enough to give the right look to a boat. On my old boat Volunteer we used the flybridge all the time.. except in the rain and when it was too chilly to be up there.. It was a great extension of usable space at anchor, a great place for docking as I could see all the corners of the boat, a great view when running the boat in shallow waters, the best place to sit for sundowner's, a great spot for lazing in the sun ( yes even in the northwest ) Our current boat is a express cruiser and I really miss the space, the next boat is another trawler with a flybridge.. I cannot imagine Volunteer without the flybridge.. she would really have been a fugly boat

HOLLYWOOD

Hollywood's bridge is well integrated into the design and gives useful space. Following is a picture of my 1973 Uniflite 28' with almost the same bridge as the San Juan 40. Surely they could have done better than that on a half million dollar boat.

img_101304_0_12a63ca4cbd632822aeb0929548a1569.jpg

Last edited:
Flybridges are most useful and look better when incorporated with a boat deck / hard top over the aft deck space. I've seen a few where there is room to climb the ladder and sit down. Maybe two people up there. A third person wanting to be "up top" has to hang onto the ladder or sit in someone's lap (and she better look good too!) They need to be functional spaces, not just a spot to drive the boat from.

Our enclosed flybridge (sitting room for about 10) came in real handy in Glacier Bay this summer with visiblity near zero and calved ice all around. The sight lines from the lower helm were not acceptable. In the PNW and Alaska we have plenty of sunny days to enjoy the FB - we're having them right now in lower BC. We've been on our bridge on Christmas Day when the sun is out due to the solarium effect. In nasty weather and when docking the lower helm is preferred - it is warm, closer to coffee and buns and easy to get to dock, lines and fenders.

Our boat is very deep and heavy so the windage of the FB not an issue when docking in less than 25 knots. With a Searay, Bayliner, Mainship or Riviera windage can be a real issue on a full tent if not downright dangerous when docking and the wind is up.

Last edited:
Hollywood8118:
Congratulations! You have a beautifull boat. In my concept, that is a real example of a TRAWLER.
God bless ya

Our boat is very deep and heavy so the windage of the FB not an issue when docking in less than 25 knots. With a Searay, Bayliner, Mainship or Riviera windage can be a real issue on a full tent if not downright dangerous when docking and the wind is up.

sunchaser, house boats with their light weight, big superstructures, and shallow drafts really fall into this category. Many people are running sail boats with no sails up.

Having a flybridge you can use and use safely has to be high on the list. Ww were lucky enough that the boat we found had flybridge access directly from the pilothouse. I've always had a concern while underway, someone has to walk to the back of the boat, exposed and out of view to climb the ladder to the flybridge. Having the stairs makes it so much easier, safer and enjoyable to use the flybridge. Being able to have it open or enclosed expands the season and useable time.

Attachments

• stairs.jpg
    stairs.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 134
Having a flybridge you can use and use safely has to be high on the list. Ww were lucky enough that the boat we found had flybridge access directly from the pilothouse. I've always had a concern while underway, someone has to walk to the back of the boat, exposed and out of view to climb the ladder to the flybridge. Having the stairs makes it so much easier, safer and enjoyable to use the flybridge. Being able to have it open or enclosed expands the season and useable time.

:socool: Inside steps to the flybridge is the way to go. I love the Europa style trawlers, but on mine I was always concerned about people moving up or down. Boats are moving surfaces. When something happens out of sight, it can be a major disaster. When the boat has a really good raised pilot house, i'm not so certain that I would enclose a fly bridge.

Just for looks these boats I think look better w the FB.
Most all the larger fish boats, the Camano Troll, the Uniflite shown and Dswizzlier's boat. Peter's Boat looks better from the side with the FB.

Those that suffer aesthetically are most pleasure boats under 50' such as:
Sabre, NT, GB, CHB and the San Juan.
On the San Juan shown one would be visually further ahead by removing the antenna hardware, the hand rails and the flag and perhaps the swim step.

You guys are think'in in the box. You're so used to seeing boats with the FB that one without looks strange. If you asked an artist to draw/paint a picture of a trawler yacht (assuming they knew what "trawler" was) they almost always render one with the FB. I grew up w boats in the 50s and there were very few FBs. And those that did exist were mostly add-ons that didn't look good themselves. Or well integrated on larger boats (CC comes to mind) and visually they were just an upper windshield behind the pilothouse and the people stood or sat on the aft cabin roof. A very good arrangement not unlike the Krogen and Eagles. And to a great extent I still view others as a negative add-on. Perhaps there's a hidden force here like looking "sporty". Most everyone would respond positively to that. Or some other hidden positive force that makes the FB visually desirable. I'm NOT suggesting you guys all hack off your FBs but even though they are part of your boat try to look at them and ask truthfully "do they really add to the boat's looks"? Some do and some don't. More don't in my book.

Last edited:
Mine is a Vantare, not alot of them out there, but it workiing for us so far.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom