Flybridge Name Boards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DHeckrotte

Guru
Vessel Name
Revel
Vessel Make
1984 Fu Hwa 39
Rainy day here, woodshop's cluttered with a disassembled bicycle, so no other projects can occur until the parts arrive.

Thinking about having nameboards made for the flybridge. I'd use the same sign maker who router-engraved a piece of Makore for the sailboat's USCG No. (I brought him a full-scale printout and an AutoCAD file.)

Thought I'd put it out to the sages here: Size, size of font, text (other than name, hailing port?), material: varnished Teak ; plastic, location.

The location poses a couple problems. The VHF antenna would have to be moved. The layout of the Europa-style sidedeck handrails and the stuff we carry tends to limit location (kayak and VHF on starboard; bicycles on port). I could relocate/integrate the nav lights if it would seem appropriate.

Attachments

• 2016-05-23 SLH_Revel C.jpg
    2016-05-23 SLH_Revel C.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 2106-08-18 KayakDavit Installed 001.jpg
    2106-08-18 KayakDavit Installed 001.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 187
I made signboards for my dad's boat. Roughly 30L x 5.5W. Used a plank of African Mahogany, routered the sides, and varnished with Spar Varnish. I used decals instead of engraving.

Attachments

• Sign 1-1.jpg
    Sign 1-1.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Sign 2-1.jpg
    Sign 2-1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 187
Since you asked... Block text in large letters and viewable from the stern. On the sides are nice too.

Someone might want to call you on the VHF so a sign would be helpful. I made a temporary one to hang on the stern rail is a boat. It's not fancy however as an interim it is good enough.

P.S. "Touch of Class" does look very spiffy!

The Fleming fleet here just has the vessel name on the name board.

Whatever you choose, a type face (font) that is actually readable would be useful. Many here have used very stylized script fonts and so forth on their transom, can't often make out what the heck the name actually is...

I didn't use name boards; instead I had the folks who did our transom work make up stencils with the name on the leading sides of our flybridge... same font as on transom (an italic block with leading cap and smaller caps), specifically so we can be identified (from more angles) and called if necessary.

-Chris

Last edited:
Name boards would be nice but I wouldn't go to the trouble of relocating the antenna to use them.

As for material, font, etc., I would use a material that matches other things on the exterior. If you already have teak, teak would be a good choice. If you don't have teak, plastic might be better. You can get laminated plastic with two colors so when the name is routed out, the second color shows.

For the font, I would matches whatever is on the transom. Matching the color would be nice.

If you really want to wow the folks, copy what I saw on a 17 million dollar yacht a few years ago. Using a router and a template, route the name of the boat through the skin of the flybridge, put clear or colored plastic behind it and colored lights behind that.

Of course, this would make it very difficult to change the boat's name at a later date.

Last edited:
This is not what you are asking for, but I like it, no maintenance, easy to read. The local sign place made up vinyl stickers.

Attachments

• Gumbo name board 003.jpg
    Gumbo name board 003.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 153
The lettering is too small for practical use on those flybridge signs. Using a larger font on both sides of the bow seems more practical, as well as more "prototicable." And don't forget the stern.

Last edited:
I've been trying to figure out the same thing, DH. Went to the guy who made the really nice name boards for Tom Benson's (Saints owner) 150' Burger - that "estimate" came in at > $1k per side. Mahogany, routed, gold leaf, etc. Delete the gold leaf? No problem and little difference in cost. Too rich for my blood.

My primary concern is the weathering issue - down here its brutal and year round.

For the moment - maybe interim, we'll see - I'm going to go with Buck Woodcraft.

King Starboard Engraved Name Boards -- Stock Designs Starting At $74.95

Need to talk to them re: letter size. Want a little larger letter size than their stock 2.5 inch height.

In any case the color embedded starboard has some appeal. For $150, it's worth a shot.

There's a lot to be said for the examples in the site you cited, sbu22. I'm leaning toward wood but I have no further interest in maintaining exterior varnish.

I just had an idea to have Teak boards engraved and then to pour the recesses full of epoxy filled with graphite. Sand it clean and voila, black letters on eventually weathered grey wood. Great except that epoxy does not stand up to UV, presumably even with graphite filler, and dull black on dull grey does not seem showy enough.

Steve - is that white vinyl letters on a painted blue background? A one piece strip with the letters printed on? That approach has appeal. I went through 2 renovaton cycles in 5 years on my old name boards (no idea how old they were - PO installed) and finally pitched them. Looking for low maintenance.

Our factory boards were varnished teak. We've painted over them with a one part poly and applied vinyl letters. Every 4-5 years I have to touch up the paint. From the water or the deck they look good. The last sheet of letters lasted 9 years.

Attachments

• IMG_0002a.jpg
    IMG_0002a.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 92
Looks sharp, Larry! Maybe that's the ticket.

White vinyl on plexiglass screwed to black starboard....

Could do black letters and white starboard.

Easy.....

Attachments

• 20170406_164357.jpg
    20170406_164357.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 98
That's great! Nice looking, psneeld. Any problem with water between the plexi and starboard?

Nope, but you could always leave a tiny gap.

Steve - is that white vinyl letters on a painted blue background? A one piece strip with the letters printed on? That approach has appeal. I went through 2 renovaton cycles in 5 years on my old name boards (no idea how old they were - PO installed) and finally pitched them. Looking for low maintenance.

They are white letters, I think printed (but maybe stuck) on to a black vinyl sticker, the vinyl was cut to the shape of the original teak board which was weathered.

I've been trying to figure out the same thing, DH. Went to the guy who made the really nice name boards for Tom Benson's (Saints owner) 150' Burger - that "estimate" came in at > $1k per side. Mahogany, routed, gold leaf, etc. Delete the gold leaf? No problem and little difference in cost. Too rich for my blood.

My primary concern is the weathering issue - down here its brutal and year round.

For the moment - maybe interim, we'll see - I'm going to go with Buck Woodcraft.

Need to talk to them re: letter size. Want a little larger letter size than their stock 2.5 inch height.

In any case the color embedded starboard has some appeal. For $150, it's worth a shot.

Have you tried a local sign shop? They usually have lots of options.

Just a thought - is AIS the new signboard?

Probably not, the biggest use of the signboard I have seen so far has been for people walking down the dock as many trawlers bow in.

Less of a need if your transom name is visible.

AIS for a name usually just alleviates a concise and precise radio call.

My boat came (from the PO) with the name on the stern and on both sides near the bow in large letters.

The problem I often have with reading boat names while on the water is, the lettering is too small. Flybridge name boards have this problem, at least for me. Of course, it's pretty rare that you are beside a boat and need to call it on the radio.

The biggest issue I have with names is when people put the boat name on the stern and then cover it with a dinghy.

It's all a matter of how much you want to spin. If price wasn't an object, I'd go with LED Front Lit Channel Letters. Sign shops can provide them. They're also available online.

Otherwise I'd tie into the rest of the boat. If the boat has nice woodwork, then using a matching wood board could be very effective. Otherwise just some real quality and easy to read vinyl lettering.

John at Buckwoodcraft is a pleasure to deal with. I've ordered 6 of his rails now, 4 in custom configurations (Bolt spacing and length). Nice machining and great quality..
I'm all about getting rid of the wood!

Last edited:
Two thoughts. I installed name boards so that they ran parallel to the water line. But because they are located just above the lower edge of the flybridge structure, which runs "uphill" they always look like they are poorly located, not parallel to the structure of the boat at that point. It just looks funny--maybe split the difference. The other thought--my boards were made up using laser cutting software which also produced a narrow black shadow line around each letter. This was in a vinal (sp?). Now with 10 years of sun, fresh varnish, etc. the vinal is at rish of getting sanded off. If it does start to disappear, I'm screwed. There would be no way to replace just this material. Now when anchored out for more than a day, I hang a towel over the boards to minimize sun damage.

That's why I'm trying the Buckwoodcraft starboard option, Clown. Tired of messing with the wood/letters/paint. I have no experience with the starboard name boards, but at this price I figure it's worth a shot.

That's why I'm trying the Buckwoodcraft starboard option, Clown. Tired of messing with the wood/letters/paint. I have no experience with the starboard name boards, but at this price I figure it's worth a shot.

FWIW, I just ordered a starboard rail motor mount from them. The item arrived quickly and was well made and seemed to be a very fair price. Nothing to do with name boards, but I wouldn't hesitate to order something from them again.

Just received the nameboards from Buck Woodcraft. $161 out the door, delivered. The photo isn't picking up the brown hues very well. Routed lettering is a chocolate brown, with a light tan background. I'm pleased.

Attachments

• Nameboard Photo ResizedNameboard Photo.jpg
    Nameboard Photo ResizedNameboard Photo.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 85
Very spiffy. You're showing your Panache well.

I hand carved the lettering on my side boards. I'm currently finishing up a larger one for the stern.
DSC_4728s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom