Flybridge Name Boards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you, Janice. My best choice lacking the fine skills of folks like pj and sum. Nice work!

Another Buck Woodcraft job.

As previously stated,John at Buck Woodcraft is a pleasure to deal with. I was tired of sanding,carving and painting the name boards on our Nimble so while on a visit to the Keys, I took my orginal teak boards by there and had them do them in the layered starboard. They had a tan/green combination that matched our boat well.
All I can say is the work is quality and very well done and no more varnishing.

Attachments

• RIMG1887.JPG
    RIMG1887.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 43
Signboards are useless unless one can see them from more than a few yards away. ;) Better to have large lettering on the hull. Block letters are much more readable than most other fonts.

The Cub's much larger "parent":

Last edited:
I also used Buck Woodcraft to match an existing routed transom Port Nameboard for Moondance. John matched the original one perfectly with pictures I sent him by e-mail & dimensions. His price was very fair, & his service was GREAT.

I made signboards for my dad's boat. Roughly 30L x 5.5W. Used a plank of African Mahogany, routered the sides, and varnished with Spar Varnish. I used decals instead of engraving.
@clynn I love the Touch of Class boards. I just made some new ones for my trawler. The old ones were screwed on through the board and looked ugly. I don’t want to do that to my new boards. How did you attach them? I’ve tried to find some hardware but can’t seem to find the right thing.

Do you have access from behind?
I don't have nameboards but do have teak Nav lgt shrouds. They use bolts from the front long enough to take a backing and then nuts and washers.
The front side holes were then plugged properly and are barely visible.

I eventually dribbled some epoxy, carefully, into the holes the bolts came through so they no longer turned.

The other way I can think of would be to simply screw them into place from behind. Lining up though could be a problem without a helper.

Boatoutfitters.com also does Starboard signs.

I did ours in gold leaf. Once boards were varnished, added gold leaf then black outline. An easy weekend project. Adding nav lights reduces clutter and looks cleaner.

Go to my blog, grandbankschoices, and you can see it done. Resprayed them this year, originally several years ago.

Vinyl fades. Routering is ok, but reminds me of a national park sign. My Europa style needs teak and gold leaf.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom