Old 04-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #21

For the top I would go with the vinyl. Any bird droppings can be quite difficult to remove on the Sunbrella if you have any issues with birds. Particulary nasy dropping will sometimes almost work their way through. I like the look and longevity of the Sunbrella for the side curtains though. Leon
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #22

Check out this website. Hardtotop.com Lightweight and cheaper than you think. I have no connection with this company, just happy with mine and the bird poop washes right off.
gordytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #23

I thought of using something like that years ago. I think I will install something like that during the layup next winter. Thanks, Leon
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
What ever fabric you chose, make sure your canvas guy uses Tendra (Gortex) thread. Tendra will last the life of the fabric, other wise you'll be restitching in several years. It's more expansive but the over all cost is minimal.
It's Tenara, not Tendra unless Gore has come out with a new thread. My wife has used Tenara for years now and it's terrific stuff. Very expensive, however. If you have canvas for your boat made by a canvas shop, make sure they use Tenara for the seams.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #25

City: Circleville, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sunset Lady
Vessel Model: 1975 Chris Craft 35 Aft Cabin
I like the color very much! And I like seeing another Gulfstar in the lime-light. Maybe we'll be there in a year or two. Good work.
Is this the one you were going to sell?

"Keep putting off till tomorrow, and you'll end up with a lot of empty yesterdays" Prof. Harold Hill
Bilgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
I don't know about the vinyl, with it not breathing. It can get hot as it is in an enclosure. But I guess as long as you can roll up the windows, and most of it IS windows on the sides anyway... so why not? I can say I have never seen a vinyl flybride enclosure and we do "get around" a fair bit, but in the SF Bay and Delta, not PNW. Are you having this made in the PNW?
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #27
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgewater View Post
I like the color very much! And I like seeing another Gulfstar in the lime-light. Maybe we'll be there in a year or two. Good work.
Is this the one you were going to sell?
Thanks. Yes, my boat is for sale, and that is her. We are not in any real hurry though. We are headed over to the Bahamas next week for a two week trip through the Abacos. Then we will go back in mid June and bring her home by early July.

When she is back stateside I think she will be easier to sell. It is an awful lot of boat for very little money, if I can get a few people to look I think someone will realize that.

I actually think your boat looks great, you are selling it short. I like the painted toerail, that toerail is a bear to refinish.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #28
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I think if you choose a covering that doesn't breathe, you will not just be uncomfortable in hot weather, you will have problems from condensation. Mold, mildew and corrosion for a start.
Traditional Sunbrella keeps water out (if treated properly) while letting air in and out.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #29

City: Circleville, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sunset Lady
Vessel Model: 1975 Chris Craft 35 Aft Cabin
I actually think your boat looks great, you are selling it short. I like the painted toerail, that toerail is a bear to refinish.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Doug.
I'm actually planning on stripping the toerail and going bright with it. It's really nasty looking up close, and we're re-doing all the brightwork, and I like the looks of it. But I won't do the lower spray guard bright as some have.

In your cruising, do you ever run on just one engine? And if so, do you keep the idle tranny engaged so as not to freewheel? Best of luck on your cruise, I'm envious!!!!!

"Keep putting off till tomorrow, and you'll end up with a lot of empty yesterdays" Prof. Harold Hill
Bilgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #30

City: South Puget Sound, WA
If I were doing it here in the PNW I would go vinyl on top and Sunbrella for the side curtain borders. Kills two birds with one stone (oh how I would like to) Seagul poop washes off and it doesn't leak in heavy downpours.
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgewater View Post
In your cruising, do you ever run on just one engine? And if so, do you keep the idle tranny engaged so as not to freewheel? Best of luck on your cruise, I'm envious!!!!!
Some if not most marine gears do not lock when you put them in gear. The ubiquitous BW Velvet Drive, for example, does not lock when you move the shifter to forward or reverse and then move the boat forward with that engine unpowered. The transmission will still freewheel with the prop and shaft despite the shifter being in forward,. This is why we have to tie off a shaft if we have a precautionary engine shut down.

And if you have to tie off or lock a shaft the turbulence from the stationary propeller will cause a lot more drag than a freewheeling prop so you will probably be less efficient than if you went ahead and ran both engines.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Some if not most marine gears do not lock when you put them in gear. The ubiquitous BW Velvet Drive, for example, does not lock when you move the shifter to forward or reverse and then move the boat forward with that engine unpowered. The transmission will still freewheel with the prop and shaft despite the shifter being in forward,. This is why we have to tie off a shaft if we have a precautionary engine shut down.

And if you have to tie off or lock a shaft the turbulence from the stationary propeller will cause a lot more drag than a freewheeling prop so you will probably be less efficient than if you went ahead and ran both engines.
Geez Marin, Talk about hijacking a thread! I'm guessing the board had a malfuntion. Oh and what was that you were saying about computers being dependable
Old 04-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #33
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
All this talk of Sunbrella fading and leaking has me worried. Mine is only 23 years old. I've had to restitch it three times but the fabric is still strong and waterproof. I think I took it off and washed it once but that's about it. I don't know what kind of Sunbrella it is but I think back then there was only one Sunbrella. Sorry, Pacific Blue was a good color back then.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #34
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Sorry, Pacific Blue was a good color back then.
Perhaps a less ubiquitous/boring yet-handsome color is in your future.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #35
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budds Outlet View Post
Geez Marin, Talk about hijacking a thread! I'm guessing the board had a malfuntion. Oh and what was that you were saying about computers being dependable
Learn to read before hitting "send," dude. in the post above your first one up above here a bit Bilgewater asked about locking a transmission in forward to stop it freewheeling. He asked it in this thread. So I answered him in this thread. And if you think a BW Velvet Drive is a computer controlled transmission, you are in the way wrong hobby..
Old 04-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #36
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Wasn't this supposed to be about flybridge covers?
Old 04-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #37
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Markpierce, I have to admire your taste in canvas color, but I can't buy new canvas just to get a new color. This damn Sunbrella just won't quit.
"Coast Guard! Come quick, my boat is sinking!"
"Yes sir, we're on the way. What does your boat look like?'
"It's white with blue canvas."
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #38

Did not intend to offend. I guess I did not see that little tag onto Bilgewater's post. It just apeard to be so incongrous with the previous posts I really actually assumed the software had a glitch and put the post in the wrong thread.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:11 AM   #39
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Markpierce, I have to admire your taste in canvas color, but I can't buy new canvas just to get a new color. This damn Sunbrella just won't quit.
We have the same problem. Our boat came with exterior fitted Sunbrella covers for every piece of exterior teak except the half-round and bullnose cabin trim. All the rails, transom, sailing dinghy, most of the windows, the entire flying bridge, etc. etc. etc. had custom covers plus the bimini, flying bridge panels and so on. In Mark's favorite Pacific Blue (if that's what it's called).

My wife has made covers for things like the BBQ, our new windlass, the name/nav light nameboards, the outboard on the dinghy and so on. We would love to change the color of our canvas to dark blue or black or maybe dark green. But it would cost well over $10,000 to replace all the canvas currently on the boat. So we justkeep adding fuel to the fire by making anything new out of the same Pacific Blue and she keeps the old canvas going by resewing deteriorating seams with Tenara and making strenghening patches where they're needed.

Saves us a ton of money but we're both REALLY tired of blue.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:50 AM   #40
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
We have the same problem. Our boat came with exterior fitted Sunbrella covers for every piece of exterior teak except the half-round and bullnose cabin trim. All the rails, transom, sailing dinghy, most of the windows, the entire flying bridge, etc. etc. etc. had custom covers plus the bimini, flying bridge panels and so on. In Mark's favorite Pacific Blue (if that's what it's called). My wife has made covers for things like the BBQ, our new windlass, the name/nav light nameboards, the outboard on the dinghy and so on. We would love to change the color of our canvas to dark blue or black or maybe dark green.
You mean a bit like this Marin...? Our boat's canvas was that lighter blue, and I do like the darker better when it all finally died and we had a chance to re-new. However, it is the reason we stuck with Sunbrella, (thinking of that other thread re bimini material), as it is hard to kill.
Attached Thumbnails
Image083.jpg  
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote