Flybridge Enclosure - Sunbrella vs Vinyl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nsail

Getting a new enclosed flybridge cover. I need to select between sunbrella fabric vs vinyl fabric for the cover. Will be used primarily in the PNW in the summer and the SF bay area the rest of the year. Any opinions one way or the other?

Thanks.

What's the vinyl fabric? Sunbrella is Sunbrella but there are lots of vinyl fabrics. Do you have the brand brand name?

... Sunbrella is Sunbrella ............
Sunbrella has three or four different fabrics suitable for the application. Their website is a good source of information. So are the local canvas shops that might be making the enclosure.

I'd want something that 'breathes'. I don't think vinyl breathes...nothing like being in a sauna on the flybridge. Colors are pretty, but the darker ones are hotter.

The canvas guy said that there were several types of sumbrella fabrics and several types of vinyl fabrics, but that the characteristics were basically the same for each individual type.

He told me that Sunbrella would be water proof for the first year and then would need to be cleaned and re-coated each year to stay that way. It also breathes better, which is obviously important in warmer climates (maybe colder ones too, I'm not sure).

And, he told me vinyl will stay water proof for as long as the fabric stays intact, but doesn't breathe at all. Also, periodic cleaning is the only maintenance required.

It was his opinion that vinyl would be better for the locations I'll be using the boat, but I would like to hear from you experienced TF members, including which type of Sunbrella material or which type of vinyl material you prefer, or recommend.

Thanks again.

I just redid my enclosure with sunbrella, though I'm not sure which type. I am under the opinion that vinyl would not last in the sun down here. My old bimini was 7 years old and still going strong (needed some stitching redone) when Irene took it.

I found that spraying it with a waterproofing coating (there are a lot of brands) every six months or so kept it plenty waterproof.

Here is my new today bimini. The enclosure, boom cover and window screens go on next. Do you guys like the new color?

Attachments

• 36Gulfstar_Morgan.jpg
    36Gulfstar_Morgan.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 204
The canvas guy said that there were several types of sumbrella fabrics and several types of vinyl fabrics, but that the characteristics were basically the same for each individual type.

He told me that Sunbrella would be water proof for the first year and then would need to be cleaned and re-coated each year to stay that way. It also breathes better, which is obviously important in warmer climates (maybe colder ones too, I'm not sure).

And, he told me vinyl will stay water proof for as long as the fabric stays intact, but doesn't breathe at all. Also, periodic cleaning is the only maintenance required.

It was his opinion that vinyl would be better for the locations I'll be using the boat, but I would like to hear from you experienced TF members, including which type of Sunbrella material or which type of vinyl material you prefer, or recommend.

Thanks again.

As much as I hate to say it...I think I'm going with vinyl the next go around for my bimini. As far as I'm concerned...I'd never have ANY fabric outside of the boat if I could...it's just more practical than anything is some situations.

I don't like vinyl...but I hate paying the high price of sunbrella and then having it disintegrate faster than I would like.

Hmm... he told me that the price was about the same for both, so I didn't consider that. If vinyl is less expensive and he's not telling me, then maybe I should look elsewhere. Any other opinions?

Hmm... he told me that the price was about the same for both, so I didn't consider that. If vinyl is less expensive and he's not telling me, then maybe I should look elsewhere. Any other opinions?

Depends..there are vinyls that are a lot cheaper...look at some of the ready to buy biminis at Bass Pro or Cabelas...places like that..the prices are rock bottom for the cheaper vinyl ones.

Good vinyl is expensive...but in my experience and I don't have a lot or recent with ordering fabric made stuff...but usually you could get a nice vinyl for significantly less.

Or Yellow!!!

There is Sunbrella and there is Sunbrella. Some grades of it, while they come in the same favorite marine colors--- including Mark's special favorite, blue---- are NOT resistant to UV. Exposed to UV and the weather they wil fade badly within a year. The non-fade-resistant Sunbrellas are generally lighter in weight than the UV and weather resistant grades.

Most canvas shops should know the difference and use the right stuff on a boat project like a bimini or whatever. But if you're doing a project yourself make sure you get the proper type of Sunbrella for the job.

My wife thought she was getting a bargain a few years ago in a Portland fabric shop where they had rolls of Sunbrella on sale. She bought one--- fortunately it was very inexpensive--- and used it for a patch on our ancient flying bridge cover that should have blown apart a decade ago but hasn't.

The fabric matched the color of the cover perfectly until...... it started to fade in a matter of months. Today the fabric in the patch is still strong but it has faded to a light blue-gray. And my wife has gone back to buying her Sunbrella at a proper tent and awning store.

Last edited:
I had Sunbrella on the previous boat. The stuff held up for 17 years. The top did get thin, you could see the sun thru it near the end but it didn't leak much if you kept it coated. The operative word is much. If I were to do another one I might choose vinyl. Especially if it were a top that was high enough to not be totally visible. The stuff I'm thinking of might not be vinyl, but rather a urethane coated nylon or polyester. They use it for transport truck tarps. It is available in more colors than black, but not nearly the colors of sunbrella. I don't see the need in breathable for a top if the side curtains are not up. Hardtops don't breath either.

Hardtops don't breathe either.

Good point! I was thinking the same thing. If it's only the top, which you effectively can't even see, it could be anything that matches colorwise and holds up to the given weather conditions for years. The side curtains (especially if they roll up) should be breathable, though...

What ever fabric you chose, make sure your canvas guy uses Tendra (Gortex) thread. Tendra will last the life of the fabric, other wise you'll be restitching in several years. It's more expansive but the over all cost is minimal.

What ever fabric you chose, make sure your canvas guy uses Tendra (Gortex) thread. Tendra will last the life of the fabric, other wise you'll be restitching in several years. It's more expansive but the over all cost is minimal.

I think this is where most fabrics used on a boat fall short of what they should...bad thread/stitching....the other weak point is the clear vinyl windows...unless you get the good stuff and treat it better than your kids...:eek:

Is Stamoid vinyl? We had stamoid 2 boats ago- liked it a lot but it was a job keeping the white color looking white and clean. I liked it though- kept things cooler on the bridge and it held up well.

Sunbrella (the type used for outdoor marine applications will last for many, many years. Ten, fifteen, and more. It does have to be treated with a waterproofing product after cleaning or every few years.

At least one of the Sunbrella products used in marine applications has a vinyl layer laminated to one side (the underside or inside if installed correctly). They have products with one color on one side and another on the other side so you could have black or blue on the outside and white or light grey on the inside.

Again, check the Sunbrella website.

For the top I would go with the vinyl. Any bird droppings can be quite difficult to remove on the Sunbrella if you have any issues with birds. Particulary nasy dropping will sometimes almost work their way through. I like the look and longevity of the Sunbrella for the side curtains though. Leon

Check out this website. Hardtotop.com Lightweight and cheaper than you think. I have no connection with this company, just happy with mine and the bird poop washes right off.

I thought of using something like that years ago. I think I will install something like that during the layup next winter. Thanks, Leon

It's Tenara, not Tendra unless Gore has come out with a new thread. My wife has used Tenara for years now and it's terrific stuff. Very expensive, however. If you have canvas for your boat made by a canvas shop, make sure they use Tenara for the seams.

I like the color very much! And I like seeing another Gulfstar in the lime-light. Maybe we'll be there in a year or two. Good work.
Is this the one you were going to sell?

I don't know about the vinyl, with it not breathing. It can get hot as it is in an enclosure. But I guess as long as you can roll up the windows, and most of it IS windows on the sides anyway... so why not? I can say I have never seen a vinyl flybride enclosure and we do "get around" a fair bit, but in the SF Bay and Delta, not PNW. Are you having this made in the PNW?

I like the color very much! And I like seeing another Gulfstar in the lime-light. Maybe we'll be there in a year or two. Good work.
Is this the one you were going to sell?

Thanks. Yes, my boat is for sale, and that is her. We are not in any real hurry though. We are headed over to the Bahamas next week for a two week trip through the Abacos. Then we will go back in mid June and bring her home by early July.

When she is back stateside I think she will be easier to sell. It is an awful lot of boat for very little money, if I can get a few people to look I think someone will realize that.

I actually think your boat looks great, you are selling it short. I like the painted toerail, that toerail is a bear to refinish.

I think if you choose a covering that doesn't breathe, you will not just be uncomfortable in hot weather, you will have problems from condensation. Mold, mildew and corrosion for a start.
Traditional Sunbrella keeps water out (if treated properly) while letting air in and out.

I actually think your boat looks great, you are selling it short. I like the painted toerail, that toerail is a bear to refinish.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Doug.
I'm actually planning on stripping the toerail and going bright with it. It's really nasty looking up close, and we're re-doing all the brightwork, and I like the looks of it. But I won't do the lower spray guard bright as some have.

In your cruising, do you ever run on just one engine? And if so, do you keep the idle tranny engaged so as not to freewheel? Best of luck on your cruise, I'm envious!!!!!

If I were doing it here in the PNW I would go vinyl on top and Sunbrella for the side curtain borders. Kills two birds with one stone (oh how I would like to) Seagul poop washes off and it doesn't leak in heavy downpours.

Back
Top Bottom