fly bridge opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As you can see the ugly rubber duckie dosn’t make much charm either.
And otherwise “Trooper” look’s very nice.

But here’s a picture of a W30 w a FB. You be the judge.
Too me it looks like a cowboy’s kid wear’in daddy’s 10 gallon hat.

Yeah, better the way you are now... :)

FWIW, I don't think a flybridge belongs on every boat. Certainly we like the benefits ours offers, but then our boat was designed from the ground (?) up to have a flybridge helm... and ours is at the right height, right place fore and aft, etc...

Other boats? Depends. Situational. I've certainly seen some flybridges on some boats that looked pretty useless, to me.

And I recognize it's not a universal attraction, anyway. Some like it hot, some like it...

-Chris

Yeah, better the way you are now... :)

FWIW, I don't think a flybridge belongs on every boat. Certainly we like the benefits ours offers, but then our boat was designed from the ground (?) up to have a flybridge helm... and ours is at the right height, right place fore and aft, etc...

Other boats? Depends. Situational. I've certainly seen some flybridges on some boats that looked pretty useless, to me.

And I recognize it's not a universal attraction, anyway. Some like it hot, some like it...

-Chris

Agreed. Not every design works well with a flybridge, and not every flybridge is actually useful. Much like some boats also having fairly useless lower helms.

As an example, there's a Sea Ray sport fish (80s build) sitting near my boat right now. It's got a flybridge that's about 1 step above being a very short tuna tower. 2 seats and that's it. The seatbacks are even with the end of the flybridge, so it's just enough to sit there and run the boat, nothing more. Can't hang out, can't have more than 1 person up there with you, have to climb a ladder, etc. So in my mind, it's not very useful. It's got a lower helm that looks like it's probably got reasonable visibility, fortunately.

Agreed. Not every design works well with a flybridge, and not every flybridge is actually useful. Much like some boats also having fairly useless lower helms.

As an example, there's a Sea Ray sport fish (80s build) sitting near my boat right now. It's got a flybridge that's about 1 step above being a very short tuna tower. 2 seats and that's it. The seatbacks are even with the end of the flybridge, so it's just enough to sit there and run the boat, nothing more. Can't hang out, can't have more than 1 person up there with you, have to climb a ladder, etc. So in my mind, it's not very useful. It's got a lower helm that looks like it's probably got reasonable visibility, fortunately.

The Sea Ray’s FB is very common (also called a tournament bridge)- the captain has an elevated position to sight birds and breaking fish, and can back down the boat when a fish is on the line.

It’s very purpose vs party driven.

The Sea Ray’s FB is very common (also called a tournament bridge)- the captain has an elevated position to sight birds and breaking fish, and can back down the boat when a fish is on the line.

:thumb:

Liveaboards for almost 10 years now in the PNW. Chose Bimini only for our flybridge. We pilot from it only when the weather is warm and dry but it is a wonderful experience. When weather is same it is the best place to hang out. Should it be hot it is also the coolest.

I'm in the PNW and looked hard for a boat without a FB. I looked at a couple of Willard Voyagers, as the FB models not only looked a little goofy (sorry Willard owners) but also had other limitations that didn't quite fit what I was looking for. The FB on most any boat is just more initial cost, more maintenance, and less practical all around. I get the idea that, like a convertible car, you can wave to the people you pass by and they may be sufficiently impressed to overlook the impracticality of it all. Okay, a bit of an overstatement, but for a year-round boater in a temperate rainforest, the FB is just another place for moss to grow.

I think that part of the reason for a favorable "need" of a FB is that the lower helm station isn't designed properly. One of my first boats was a Monk designed "sedan cruiser" w/o a flying bridge. The helm seat was high enough and the widow placement was such that visibility while docking or other maneuvers was not a problem. I've been in some boats where visibility from the lower station is only for straight ahead travel with no concern for anything approaching from behind. It is an uncomfortable feeling. And it can be lonely.

One of the best features of my old Monk was that the dinette table was directly across from the helm and raised a step. That allowed the seating of 6 passengers or, more importantly, the seating of a passenger/wife facing forward with excellent visibility. Many of the smaller trawler designs have passenger seating only well back of the helm and sometimes low enough so that any passenger's view is mainly of the sky. One of the things I like best about my "new" Tung Hwa 30 is the fact that it has a raised dinette opposite the helm. No more of the lonely helmsman feeling while at the lower station. And maybe once the pandemic subsides I'll be able to go up to the FB (on a nice day) and wave to people after cleaning off the mold and bird poop.

Last edited:
Marco,
Excellent comments and quite objective as well.
The FB isn’t part of the “basic boat”. They were found on a few bigger boats, considered a big boat feature and over time boaters gravitated to the feature as it provided more status. Then the builders/marketeers saw the sales value in it and not only added FB’s to existing models but actually started designing FB boats from the keel up as FB boats. Even today you’ll see boats advertised (new and used) as a FB Cruiser or whatever. But when they started putting FB’s 23’ boats comments and even press dug up negative flack about the practice. And to a small extent even bigger boats started looking a bit stupid as the FB grew in size.
Not much has changed for several decades and many feel the feature is an essential part of the boat, especially those that gravitate to a party boat and partying in general. Most boaters don’t go that far as they are frequently just on the gregarious side and like being surrounding themselves w people that like a good time.

As most know I’m a talkative man but when I assume the helm I become rather quiet and serious. On a long run like up Johnston Strait that varies but I still wouldn’t want Several people carrying on a noisy conversation close by. But everybody's tolerance to that will vary.

As several have said the merit of a fly-bridge is a personal thing.

Same here. It is known as a half-tower and seats 3 if needed. It is obviously for fishing, but is very handy for docking or navigating as well with its 360° visibility. The buggy top offers some shade, but it is mostly an open-air experience. On nice days, guests often like to ride up top for sightseeing. I had a proper ladder constructed and there is full nav and engine instrumentation so the boat can easily be operated from there if desired. I mostly use the lower helm though.

Attachments

• IMG_4774.jpg
    IMG_4774.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4770.jpg
    IMG_4770.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 24
Don't have a choice. The only helm is on the flying bridge. But I live in Florida. Works like a charm.

How about twin flybridges......:blush:...

... or a mobile station for multiple positions, to complement the pilothouse for docking and fair weather cruising?

Attachments

• 166.jpg
    166.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 175.jpg
    175.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 25
Then the builders/marketeers saw the sales value in it and not only added FB’s to existing models but actually started designing FB boats from the keel up as FB boats. Even today you’ll see boats advertised (new and used) as a FB Cruiser or whatever.

In some cases, not unlike with houses on limited lot sizes. Can't build out, so build up.

I don't criticize those, either. Some taller houses are right; a few, maybe not so much. But then again the owners get the vote, everyone else's opinion isn't worth quite as much...

-Chris

I chuckled when I saw the title of the thread:rofl: Having viewed the bridge, no bridge discussion several times before it was fun to see the responses again from the usual actors.:blush: I am a bridge guy and wouldn't own a boat without one. I don't understand the folks who are hard over on not having a bridge. Maybe they don't like fresh air. :eek::angel:

Sounds like the fresh air in the Pacific northwest is usually pretty soggy... and sometimes a bit nippy.

-Chris

It is interesting to get the opinion of boater's from around the country, but the OP was asking about the value of a FB in Seattle. It's like asking "are Bermuda shorts good for hiking?" The answer is "great" if you're in Bermuda. The answer from Seattle would be "no, the mosquitoes will bite through your wool long johns."

Mark

It is interesting to get the opinion of boater's from around the country, but the OP was asking about the value of a FB in Seattle. It's like asking "are Bermuda shorts good for hiking?" The answer is "great" if you're in Bermuda. The answer from Seattle would be "no, the mosquitoes will bite through your wool long johns."

Mark

That's why I specifically answered based on our boating experience in Seattle and the PNW. In so many places there the views and immediate surroundings are so incredibly beautiful it's wonderful to have an FB.

It’s one of many things

Where there is no equivalency , it is this or that, my son always uses the upper helm, I always con from below. Our 34’ aft cabin came with full canvas from the windscreen to the ladder, an unmanageable sail. We took it all off except for the top, we use the bridge all summer long (at anchor).

I have owned boats for over 50 years. All of my boating has been in the PNW, south Sound to Cape Spemcer. Never owned or wanted a fly bridge until I bought one two years ago. My wife prodded me to try it out and my immediate reaction was why did I wait so long!? Whenever there is a weather window (which is amazingly often and I cruise 12 months a year) I'm using the fly bridge. Great viability and if you have the proper venturi and a little sun it is quite comfortable. Go for it!

Fly bridge options

We cruise the Florida coast on a Grand Banks Classic. We took off the strataglass from the fly bridge and only drive from the top.... unless it is raining... or when over night driving we drive from down below..

We love the views from up top...and don't like the feel of being in a "box" when driving from down below...

To start with, I am mostly a "fair weather boater." I am in south Puget Sound, and do most of my cruising there. I do go out occasionally in the winter, but not often. That said, I have had both a dual-helm boat (that I have now) and a sedan with no flybridge. I thought, based on my prior experience, that I would drive mostly from inside, and looked for a boat with good views all the way around from inside, and no steps to the deck (looking ahead to when I can't do steps or ladders, which at my age could be any time.) I also didn't want the windage of a flybridge enclosure. I thought the flybridge would be a bonus, and only installed a GPS inside. We purchased it in Canada, and drove it down from Blaine in November, and I was glad of the inside helm, and the furnace! The first summer, I found that I really preferred driving and especially docking, from the flybridge - better view of how close I am to the dock or the sides of the boathouse, especially, but I'm a sun-lover and like to be outside as much as possible. I had a second GPS installed topsides. The little windshield topside blocks almost all of the wind when I'm sitting down, so it's very comfortable most days. Also, when docking, I can talk to my "deckhands" handling lines and bumpers without radios or shouting. After shoulder surgery this winter, I was afraid I wouldn't manage the ladder very well, so had a temporary longer ladder installed that I can easily go up and down with one hand (makes carrying drinks and sandwiches up and down easier, too.) I don't single-hand the boat, and would have a hard time getting from either helm out to tie up if there was wind or current, but my "crew" usually consists of one or two nimble grandkids and sometimes an adult friend or two, and they handle lines, while I control the boat, so it doesn't matter where I'm driving from. Like other said, it all boils down to your own desires and needs.

Another PNW boater here. I rarely use the FB. I love my PH. It has everything I need. Convenient to the midship cleats, and to the head, galley and salon.
I have operated from my FB at least three times that I can remember. Once when some friends were visiting and wanted to be on the FB. Another time was the sea trials when I purchased the boat. And at least one more time that I can't remember.

I also have a complete helms station on the Port side of the cockpit and a set of throttles/shifters (Mathers) on the Stbd side of the cockpit.
We talked about enclosing the FB but the cost is just too high for what you get. It won't keep out the cold during the winter which is the only reason I would do it.

20190905_183825.jpg

20190915_172008.jpg

DSCN1597.jpg

20190924_094113.jpg
Caroline's Fly bridge is the maim operating station aboard. I've added a hard top, weather-proof side curtains (full enclosure) and she has Webasto forced air heating on the bridge as well. I would not trade for a stuffy confined pilot house only situation.

It really depends on what you are going to do with your boat. What will your normal cruising grounds be? Crossing the Pacific and dealing with the great garbage patch would have been a major safety issue without a flybridge. Visiting the South Pacific Atolls without my forward scanning sonar operating and the view from the flybridge would have been dangerous. The same with avoiding FADs (fish attraction devices) in SE Asia waters. In the tropics it is an absolute necessity unless you want to run with the a/c on all of the time or sweat to death with the limited ventilation of any pilothouse. Makes docking an ease with use of the bow and stern thruster in a 50' 40 ton boat with single screw like mine. On both my current Diesel Duck (Pictures) and previous Nordhavn 55 while cruising over 30,000 nm I piloted from the flybridge 95% of the time. Also an absolute necessity if you are going to single hand for the additional vision it provides and comfort. The wind in your face helps with staying awake. mvmobyduck.com
IMG_0446-copy-1536x1152.jpg

IMG_0138-1024x768.jpg

I do have a large bimini top with extension for shade. As for additional windage and weight that does not apply on my steel boat. The flybridge is actually fiberglass.

We are PNW based on love the summers and cruise the bridge anytime it's dry, which is most of the summer. I love having both, great to be inside when cold and rainy and up when the sun is out.

Fly Bridge

Hello all
I was wondering about thought on flybridges. I am in the pacific northwest so more rain then sun. F
Do you find people use or not use the flybridge. If you don't have one would you? and if you do do you wish it wasn't there.
It seems to me that logically it would be handy and present good views but in reality is that an item that should be on my must have list?
Thanks
Rod

We lived in Oak Harbor for 4 years, so I know what you are saying. Having said that:

Backing your boat into a slip from the main cabin is hell, even with 2 engines and thrusters. 1 engine and no thrusters, forget it.
Driving from the fly bridge while anchoring is easier, because you can see. You also have a better view of the Anchorage when entering/departing. Also, my wife’s favorite part of our boat (besides having her own head) is the flybridge. Afternoons, evenings, mornings, she is there more than anywhere else. And because she’s happy, I’m happy.

I'm in the PNW, so a lot more sun than rain during peak season.
This approaching weekend is going to be well above 80s... will be awesome to have a flybridge to navigate or just to hangout.
I call it the "wind therapy"!

A flybridge is an absolute must in my view. My last two boats had flybridge with lower helms. On the current boat I’ve only used the lower helm once, just to see if it was easier to sight when docking. With all the debris in the PNW waters from logging and floods, why wouldn’t you want a better view of what’s ahead of you to protect your props.
Cheers

We LOVE our flybridge. It has a full enclosure with roll up windows and screens so is comfortable in just about any weather. We are in NC right off the ICW. We have a Heritage East 36 sundeck trawler. The flybridge is up 3 molded steps from our sundeck. We wanted the boat to be fully accessible for our German shepherd and this one is. We do all of our steering from the flybridge. After many years in a sailboat, we love being up high. The views are great. We can see so much better and it's very comfortable.

As already noted there is no right answer, only individual preferences. I am in the PNW and my last boat a 4788 had a flybridge with overhead canvas but otherwise open. It was always too cool to want to pilot the boat from up there, but I always docked and undocked from that location because visibility was so much better and easy to move around to check the stern if needed. We used the flybridge when hanging out all the time, with shade it was the perfect hangout spot for groups of up to 6 or 7.

So thinking about this our new boat reflects our preferences. It is a "skylounge" so it has a flybridge that is completely enclosed, nicely furnished and extends aft with seating inside and further aft has a big space that is open and can be covered. It has no pilothouse, that space is given over to a large dining table. Its an individual preference but we like it. Oh we also have a docking helm at the stern when needed.

Back
Top Bottom