Fly bridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
... Being addicted sun worshipers as long as it wasn't too cold or the conditions too snotty we really liked the view ...

I appreciate the half-inch-plus thick steel pilothouse roof's protection from the sun's radiation.

img_109774_0_998126910cae6af33d6f75e6d45bbd44.jpg

My phoney stack is functional!
painter.gif

Besides, one of my earliest memories was chasing a plastic toy tugboat along a street gutter during a rain storm.

teddy.gif

My phoney stack is removed and stored in the shed.

I have noticed that I am more tired after a trip driving from the flybridge than from inside. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it the wind in your face which might fool the body that you are running? Or is it the more pronounced rocking? Can it be the sun? On days that I have to do something after boating, especially playing basketball, I make sure that I only operate the boat from the inside helm. The difference is quite significant to me as I am worthless on the court after flybridge boating yet not so worthless after inside boating. Is it possible that more calories might be burned by driving in open air? Are flybridge drivers leaner/healthier than saloon drivers? Can we do a quick check by answering 3 questions. 1. Do you drive from the flybridge or inside? 2. What is your height? 3. How much do you weigh?:hide:

I have noticed that I am more tired after a trip driving from the flybridge than from inside. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it the wind in your face which might fool the body that you are running? Or is it the more pronounced rocking? Can it be the sun? On days that I have to do something after boating, especially playing basketball, I make sure that I only operate the boat from the inside helm. The difference is quite significant to me as I am worthless on the court after flybridge boating yet not so worthless after inside boating. Is it possible that more calories might be burned by driving in open air? Are flybridge drivers leaner/healthier than saloon drivers? Can we do a quick check by answering 3 questions. 1. Do you drive from the flybridge or inside? 2. What is your height? 3. How much do you weigh?:hide:

It is all the above...more motion, more wind, more sun/dehydration, etc...etc..

All affect how tired you are at the end of the day.

Healthier??? Other than skin cancer from exposure...there should be little or no other health effects.:socool:

Last edited by a moderator:
"A night at the opera" Very Good! Actually RT would prefer to spend the night hunting elephants in his pajamas.

Greetings,
I would pass on "A night at the opera" if exposed to the elements all day, go to bed early and spend "A day at the races" to recuperate and how that elephant got into.........The world wonders....

Last edited:
Life is just duck soup to you isn't it RT?

OK. ... What's the "secret word."

Where the heck are the reruns?

"A night at the opera" Very Good! Actually RT would prefer to spend the night hunting elephants in his pajamas.

Au' contraire, Messieur Rufus T Firefly prefers le' Canard Potage

Rufus - Don't you recall hunting in pajamas?? You must have been on the bridge toooo loooog since! :whistling:

Once while crossing Rosario Strait we were being followed by five or six Orca that gained on our 8kts and closed to about 50ft. before turning away. It was a great perspective that we had for about 5 min. We would not have the pleasure if we had not been on the bridge.

Pinnipeds are readily visible from the pilothouse.

img_109826_0_7ef049f73a58323ac53c40968cdaee3c.jpg

no option

:socool:We love our FLY bridge,bought a boat without one and life whas
Boring nothing to look at..With a fly bridge you have lovely view always,but you must have a bimini..Happy boating!

I appreciate the half-inch-plus thick steel pilothouse roof's protection from the sun's radiation.

Half-inch thick? Are you seriously saying that they used over 2000 pounds of steel to make a wheelhouse roof?

I doubt they put that much steel in the keel. If it's over 4mm I would be surprised.

I have noticed that I am more tired after a trip driving from the fly bridge....Or is it the more pronounced rocking?

When we are going to weather, the flybridge is more comfortable than the pilot house. The fly bridge helm is further back from the bow, so the up and down motion is not as pronounced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Half-inch thick? Are you seriously saying that they used over 2000 pounds of steel to make a wheelhouse roof?

I doubt they put that much steel in the keel. If it's over 4mm I would be surprised.

It's needed to support the air horns. :rolleyes:

Why did I just read all this?

A day on the flybridge is like a day at the beach except you don't end up with sand in your shorts.

Heck... this FB thread has gotten down to one liners - minus... good run but time to end. Little learned cept who knows better than who re what each desires and "thinks" they might know! Ciao, Art :whistling: :D

PS: IMHO - Flying Bridges Rule!

PSS: Mark - 1/2" thick wheelhouse/cabin top steel... really... think about it!

Superstructure 4 mm, decks 5mm, garboard plank 6 mm, keel sides 8 mm, keel and rudder skeg 12 mm.

And not to disappoint ...

img_109881_0_266a8162cf50f52c1a9e1967035d2389.jpg

Last edited:
Right... Let's not ever miss an opportunity for Mark to post yet another picture of Coot. :ermm::blush:

:D:D:D:D

The distance between the top and bottom of the pilothouse roof edge (in my previous photo) is a lot thicker than 11/64 inches.

:socool:We love our FLY bridge,bought a boat without one and life whas
Boring nothing to look at..With a fly bridge you have lovely view always,but you must have a bimini..Happy boating!
Hi Castellah22, an IG in the UK ? Are there others, were they sold there, is there a story how she got there? What year was she built?
Ours is a 1981 36ft in Sydney Australia. Apology for thread hijack. BruceK

The distance between the top and bottom of the pilothouse roof edge (in my previous photo) is a lot thicker than 11/64 inches.

Did you forget the picture of a caliper?

You won the Gratuitous Photo Award a long time ago. You can rest on your laurels for a while, 99 percent of the pictures cannot be described as photo-journalism and most are not even contextual.

Hi Castellah22, an IG in the UK ? Are there others, were they sold there, is there a story how she got there? What year was she built?
Ours is a 1981 36ft in Sydney Australia. Apology for thread hijack. BruceK

BRUCE PLEASE! We were having a very unimportant conversation.

Sorry Mark...... which photo were we talking about:D (Just kidding mate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom