Old 11-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #21
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
"Been debating with myself to add flotation collars to my 8-foot Trinka."
Nooooo!

JW, What boat are you thinking of building? I'm a big fan of stitch and glue construction. It goes together fast and you are looking at something that looks like a boat in a few hours.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post

JW, What boat are you thinking of building? I'm a big fan of stitch and glue construction. It goes together fast and you are looking at something that looks like a boat in a few hours.
Don't have anything particular in mind right now, since I have not yet done any research on what is available. Never heard of the stitch and glue construction before. Any recommendations?
Old 11-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
"Been debating with myself to add flotation collars to my 8-foot Trinka."
Nooooo!

Mark I'm with HopCar on this. Please don't jack up the Trinka with some hooters.
JW, I've got a set of plans and the book for a 8' Nutshell Pram . It looks prenty simple with only one frame that has to be laminated .I think the plans were $75 from wooden boat .There also is a 10 ' version.
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
I have about had it with my inflatable dinghy,.................................. I would prefer a hard dinghy if I can get into it from the swim platform without first taking a bath.
Well, you can flip an inflatable too. I got into mine, put the puppy in, and my wife decided to slide off the swim platform onto the tube (the same one I was sitting on) instead of stepping into the center like she usually does.

Before I could say or do anything we were all in the water. Luckily, the dinghy didn't actually flip over so the motor and everything in the dinghy stayed out of the water. The puppy was wearing her DFD so she just started paddling.

We put the swim ladder down and climbed back onto the boat.
rwidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #25
Guru

City: Anacortes
Not sure I understand what your problem is. I have two inflatable ribs, not sure I could successfully flip either one of them without extreme effort. Now, walking in one, I could easily go overboard, but that's a different kettle of fish best solved by good handholds with a center console and such, or weaver clips that are affixed before getting out.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:00 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
At $350 it might be worth the extra miles.
Good price, for sure, but the logistics are not good. So will pass, but thanks.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #27
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
JW, These guys are in Vero Beach Florida. They sell plans and precut plywood. I built their 14' canoe from the free plans. It is a good practice boat for stitch and glue construction. Just down load the free plans and read them. You'll get the idea how S & G construction works. You don't need to actually build the damn thing like I did. It is very tippy!

Free boat plans from Bateau

I visited their shop once and saw the quality of the precut panels. Looked very good.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:06 PM   #28
hnw

City: North Kingstown
Flotation tubes for hard dinghies

Don't want to break rules but there is a commercial product that might solve your problem. Inflatable tubes that you can add to most any hard dinghy. They are offered by Gig Harbor Boat Works as well as the manufacturer at Dinghy too tippy? Add Dinghy Dogs.
Hope this helps
hnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:55 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Tranquility Base
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Kapten Boat Collar - works like a hot damn! (Contacted them once by email about shipping, but a tad pricey to Canada for my frugal tastes)

Have any of the Aussie guys on here tried the Kapten Boat Collar? I'd like to use a tinnie (aluminium boat to the Americans) so I don't have to worry about dragging it over oysters.
Brian Harward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:44 PM   #30

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
Hi Brian,

I haven;t actually tried one yet, but based on the testimonials I've read and heard first hand (I live relatively close to this business and have seen a few at boat ramps etc.), I'm going to be fitting one to my 4.4m side console tinny in the next 12 months. The stability isn't an issue (although I'm sure it will be even better with the boat collar), I'll be fitting mine for spray mitigation. A front quarter wind make my sea jay a very wet little boat. From testimonials (again) it is very good at redirecting spray (it effectively becomes a huge spray chine).

Very interesting that he has branched out into hull design. The boat on his web site looks very good in the vids.
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:52 AM   #31
Guru

City: kemah
why dont you just pour some 2 lb foam into the chambers?
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #32

City: Camano Island
I owned a Walker Bay 8' plastic dinghy with the smaller yellow collar (sold with the new dinghy originally in about 2008). It was a "RIB-Lite." The collar was smaller than the current Walker Bay RIB collar - the yellow collar was about 6" diameter. I found it to be a very good compromise. It added much stability but did not normally touch the water-- it sat just above the water and so did not affect the rowing ability at all. I highly recommend it. Advantages of protecting hulls of other boats when boarding them. Advantages of most of the stability of the full RIB. The dink easily rowed unlike many RIBs. Floatation added by collar only when needed was very good and helped immensely-- many guests kept from sinking the dink by they collar over the 12 years I had the Walker Bay. If the collar punctured, I still had a usable dinghy. I was in a RIB once that punctured one half of the flotation tube. Very hard to get back to the boat- had to get help to do so. I highly recommend the floatation collar concept.
Thud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #33

City: Camano Island
Filling the chambers does not add any stability at all unless the chambers leak.
Thud is offline   Reply With Quote