Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
City: Vero Beach
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hanks Dream
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler44
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 66
Florida keys.

I had planned to cruise to key west in November. Wondering if anyone has any idea of the state of affaires there?
__________________
Advertisement

Ole Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:30 PM   #2
Guru
 
City: kemah
Country: USA
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,135
couldnt you just run down in a car and spend a weekend scoping it out?
__________________

what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member
 
City: Vero Beach
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hanks Dream
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler44
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 66
I could if I was 3500 mikes closer than I am. Thought someone might have been there or heard so I can plan trip.
Ole Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member
 
City: Vero Beach
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hanks Dream
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler44
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 66
Miles that is
Ole Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member
 
MakinMemories's Avatar
 
City: Tarpon Springs, Fl.
Country: US
Vessel Name: Makin Memories
Vessel Model: 1987 41' President
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 85
waterwayguide.com will give you marina updates for the Keys. Might help some.
MakinMemories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:06 AM   #6
Guru
 
Keysdisease's Avatar
 
City: South Florida
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 673
Key West did not get the damage to infrastructure that the islands just to the North did. Big Pine 30 miles North took a direct hit from Irma

I have not been to Key West since the storm. I have been to Key Largo where they are back up and running.

The Cruise Ships are stopping into Key West again, so downtown is open for business. I have heard that most of the hazards to navigation have been removed or marked. By November most of the debris that might be a bother for navigation should be have cleared out. If you have a particular marina you were planning to stay at I would call them. If you are coming in November you will just miss Fantasy Fest, which is scheduled to happen. You can see for yourself the level of "open for business" at the Sloppy Joes web cams Live Duval Street

If it were me, and the marina I was planning to stay at was open, I would go.

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:58 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
City: Florida
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 194
I have a friend going to Galleon at the end of October. He said Stock Island had a steady supply of fuel.
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member
 
City: Vero Beach
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hanks Dream
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler44
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 66
Thanks a lot. I have called Faro Blanco and their message says they havent returned from mandatory evac yet. Ill keep trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
Key West did not get the damage to infrastructure that the islands just to the North did. Big Pine 30 miles North took a direct hit from Irma

I have not been to Key West since the storm. I have been to Key Largo where they are back up and running.

The Cruise Ships are stopping into Key West again, so downtown is open for business. I have heard that most of the hazards to navigation have been removed or marked. By November most of the debris that might be a bother for navigation should be have cleared out. If you have a particular marina you were planning to stay at I would call them. If you are coming in November you will just miss Fantasy Fest, which is scheduled to happen. You can see for yourself the level of "open for business" at the Sloppy Joes web cams Live Duval Street

If it were me, and the marina I was planning to stay at was open, I would go.

Ole Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:27 AM   #9
Guru
 
Keysdisease's Avatar
 
City: South Florida
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 673
Faro Blanco is not Key West, you missed it by about 50 miles


Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Moffatt View Post
Thanks a lot. I have called Faro Blanco and their message says they havent returned from mandatory evac yet. Ill keep trying.
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #10
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,087
I just got back from a week in KW via car. Middle and lower keys badly thrashed, most marine facilities heavily damaged. KW got a mild thrashing and most facilities either survived or need modest repairs. Figure out which places you want to stop and call them up. Anything in mid and lower keys will be months of repairs, KW most are probably up and running right now.

I was impressed by the rate at which they are cleaning things up and fixing things down there. There will be evidence of damage visible for years, but they are getting on their feet pretty quick considering.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member
 
City: Vero Beach
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hanks Dream
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler44
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
Faro Blanco is not Key West, you missed it by about 50 miles
I realize that but it is on the way and one of the Marinas I have stayed at. wow
Ole Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member
 
jacquesm's Avatar
 
City: Vero Beach
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Lucky Dog
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 93
Check this web site:
Cruisers' Net | Cruisers Helping Cruisers

Go to the SE section and search. I saw lots of reports on the Keys: marinas, USCG reports, channels moved etc.
jacquesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member
 
City: Vero Beach
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hanks Dream
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler44
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 66
Thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquesm View Post
Check this web site:
Cruisers' Net | Cruisers Helping Cruisers

Go to the SE section and search. I saw lots of reports on the Keys: marinas, USCG reports, channels moved etc.
Ole Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #14
Guru
 
City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 953
Marathon city marina mooring field info?
__________________
-------------------------
Terry
Meridian
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member
 
City: Homestead
Country: United States
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 52
The upper keys should be fine as there was much less damage. I have a house in Marathon. Marathon got hit pretty bad. I drove over to Boot Key Harbor the other day. They still have a good bit of a mess to deal with. I have not been past the seven mile bridge so I have not looked at the damage first hand. I see on TV Key West saying they are open for business.

I would certainly call marinas I wanted to deal with to hear first hand what they have to offer. I have not put my boat back in the water yet so I am not sure what the marina or fuel situation is. I have fuel delivered on occasion and sort of assume the fuel trucks are running.
__________________

Planobilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012