Old 07-27-2015, 03:26 PM   #21
Guru

City: Tampa
The Grace of God or whatever deity you worship aside, planning, Preparation and training are paramount to survival.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #22
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Water temp is only part of the formula....

What has been the air temp, especially at night? People are surprised about hypothermia...or even the reverse...what were the daytime, unshaded temps? Any drinking water?

70 degrees and alternate cooling and wetting can cause hypothermia in fast coolers.

Any survival expertise? Like don't drink the salt water even if thirsty .....

They need other things more than PFDs, especially at this point, people have been found clinging to all kinds of things..but survival basics never chsnge (much).
Yep, water temperature is only the beginning and after three days, if they don't have fresh water to drink...

I read a bunch of articles about the kids but information was sorely lacking. As usual. On Cruising Forum, someone down in FLA said that the water temperatures were in the 80's, I would assume the air temp is 70-100 since that is what it has been here in NC and down in FLA.

Seems like I remember a guy a few years ago who went into the water in South FLA and he was rescued a few days later off north Florida or maybe GA...

Later,
Dan

dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Last I heard there is a white Yeti Cooler, PFDs, and of course the boys. If they are all together it provides hope. Water maybe even ice still in the Yeti.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:21 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Water and air temperature aren't the problems they'd have in South Florida. It's hydration, followed by nourishment, and just physical exhaustion.

Now, they are searching further north, already to Jacksonville and then expanding into Georgia. If they were in the Gulf Stream then the flow charts put them a good bit farther up the coast by this time.

I'm personally having a hard time making sense of it. Engine cover off might indicate trouble. Only one life preserver on the boat might indicate they were wearing theirs. But thinking dead engine and then for some reason boat flips. Why leave the boat? Only thing I can think of is with the speed of the gulf stream they couldn't swim back to it.

Here's a photo of the boat.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-shore-n399051
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:32 PM   #25
Guru

You Can Survive Quite A While Without food, Especially If They're Not Having To Struggle To Stay Afloat.

Unfortunately the same thing cannot be said for hydration. Dehydration, cramping, hallucinations fatigue all come on pretty quickly.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:26 PM   #26
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Wonder if anyone is following up along "foul play" lines?

When SAR cases are extraordinary, best to explore both forks in the road.....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:59 PM   #27

City: Ft. Myers, FL
Quote:
Wonder if anyone is following up along "foul play" lines?

When SAR cases are extraordinary, best to explore both forks in the road.....
No, don't think that's the case here.
tcpip95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:13 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpip95 View Post
No, don't think that's the case here.
Why not? Unless there is more info in a better article, my experience with SAR cases with this many holes in it sometimes lead down that path.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:18 PM   #29
Guru

Law enforcement has been involved with this from jump. While they are certainly concentrating on the search and rescue aspect, I can assure you from My experience that they are also exploring any potential foul play issues. pretty much standard operating procedure.

in this case however, there is enough overwhelming information readily available to pretty well exclude foul play via a third party.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:47 PM   #30
Guru

Unfortunately I doubt any "foul play" info would be released yet....and I haven't seen any "leaked info"....

Just the usual SAR release stuff.

Where is there ANY definite info other than the boys refueling and the next bit of info is an overturned boat in the middle of nowhere?
Old 07-27-2015, 08:17 PM   #31
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
They decided to run away from home?
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #32
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
They had checked in with their parents and texted pics of the fishing gear. They were fishing not running away from home. My prayers are with them and their families.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:36 PM   #33
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I think there are many angles to explore. Foul play is one. Joining up with some others and leaving the boat behind. Running away somewhere. Some adventure that got way out of hand. However, with most of those, you'd think something more would be turning up. But they did appear to be somewhere they don't normally go and aren't supposed to go at least not to the knowledge of their mother. Whatever the answer, it's no less sad or tragic, if in fact lives have been lost.

The fact it was called in and reported so quickly and investigated so quickly surprised me a bit. You just call and say my son is out on the water, it's now 5 pm and they're out fishing and were supposed to call me at 2:30 and the normal reaction is I'm sure they'll call you soon. Maybe they're just in a bad phone area. That's an exceptionally quick missing persons action. Someone mentioned them going to the Bahamas which the parents quickly said they wouldn't be allowed to do. Well, where did that mention come from?

As to the facts, we don't have them. But I'm sure law enforcement is exploring all scenarios.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:45 PM   #34
Guru

One article mentioned they said something about the Bahamas.

The USCG more widely adopted the hit it hard early philosophy after the sailboat Morning Dew incident in Charleston.

Obviously when dealing with the Gulf Stream and other strong environmental factors...every hour wasted expands the search area.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Doesn't a human brain not mature until the late twenties? That's my experience. Have done stupid stuff, but not fatal, fortunately.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:11 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Unfortunately I doubt any "foul play" info would be released yet....and I haven't seen any "leaked info"....
Exactly.

Quote:
...Just the usual SAR release stuff.
Where is there ANY definite info other than the boys refueling and the next bit of info is an overturned boat in the middle of nowhere?
Obviously there's no "definite" info, or this would be a homicide investigation, and would become a law enforcement matter.

Sent you a pm

OD
Old 07-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Doesn't a human brain not mature until the late twenties? That's my experience. Have done stupid stuff, but not fatal, fortunately.
Ain't that a fact my friend.
Haven't we all...

While not my usual response, I will say that in cases like this, involving young lives, stupid should not be fatal
Old 07-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #38
Guru

City: NC
The Bahamas angle was from a post on Facebook.

This sound like a simple boating accident. I took the missing engine cover as something that happened when the boat capsized but it could be they had engine problems that then led to the capsize. Not sure it really makes much difference. The boat was supposed to have multiple PFDs so there is hope the kids put one on since only one was found. There has been a mention of a cooler that was not with the boat.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:18 PM   #39
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Hearts out to them. I go fishing all the time with friends out off FTL.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:55 PM   #40
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I think I'll get myself a PLB and actually carry it when I go offshore.
Oliver, you spend a lot of time offshore in small boats, get one for yourself too.