Florescent lights in Engine Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magicbus

One of mine died and I think I have to remove the entire assembly and take it apart to remove the bulb. *If I have to do this I was thinking of replacing it with an off-the-shelf unit. *Anyone know why this wouldn't be OK? *Diesel engine, no combustible fumes in the ER and lots of starter motors.

Dave

I bought a couple of armored light fixtures at Home depot. The kind with a cage around them.

*I use 12 volt lightbulbs from an RV store. They look just like a ordinary light bulb but they are 12 volt.* No need to run them with the inverter or noise maker.

*Works great.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 22nd of June 2011 03:54:42 PM

I have been removing all of the old FL's and 12V bulbs from our fixtures. Instead I have installed LED's that come in waterproof strings....less power consumptions and far better lighting.... Got them from http://www.superbrightleds.com They have not only strings and whatnot...but also fixtures....and the prices are good.

-- Edited by JAT on Wednesday 22nd of June 2011 07:02:10 PM

-- Edited by JAT on Wednesday 22nd of June 2011 07:02:40 PM

" I use 12 volt lightbulbs from an RV store. They look just like a ordinary light bulb but they are 12 volt."

These may have a short life as they are usually used when the engine is off , perhaps only a converter on.

They are 12V bulbs and nice and bright on resting batts.OK for a quick look, but not for being on underway for a TV camera.

The auto bulbs are 14V bulbs and last far longer when an alternator is on.

There are adapters to screw into the old screw bulb base , that accept auto style bulbs.

Florescents may be very RF noisy.

JAT wrote:
I have been removing all of the old FL's and 12V bulbs from our fixtures. Instead I have installed LED's that come in waterproof strings....less power consumptions and far better lighting.... Got them from http://www.superbrightleds.com They have not only strings and whatnot...but also fixtures....and the prices are good.

-- Edited by JAT on Wednesday 22nd of June 2011 07:02:10 PM

-- Edited by JAT on Wednesday 22nd of June 2011 07:02:40 PM
*LED are OK but they seem to bother my eyes after a while.

I don't use them in the cabin. Just for navigation and anchor lights.

SD

The Eagle came with one 4 ft florescent over the 671.* I changed it to two 4 ft, one each side and two 2 ft on each side of the gen set. Each fixture as a off on switch, but I usually leave the one by the entrance on as it usually enough light to see what I am looking for.* There are also 12 volts lights, but with two gen sets and inverter we have always had AC power.* Its been 12+ years with several inspections, with no comment/write up*but the Eagle is diesel.* I would not sure if florescent would be use if gas.* The Eagle does have a fire extinguish, which I just had check/service last week.*

Thanks. I couldn't think of a reason why a residential fixture wouldn't work in this case. I looked at LED's and they are nice but since this is the 120 volt lighting system (as opposed to the 12 which I also have) they aren't cheap and I couldn't figure out if they would be bright enough. Because the fixture I went to buy had no bulbs, I ended up being a wuss and buying a replacement bulb. Depending on how aggravated I get replacing it tomorrow will decide if another trip to Lowes is needed.

Dave

charles wrote:
I installed off the shelf flourescent fixtures in my engine room, Great.
******** I did the same thing with 12V flourescent rounds. Love them!

My boat has off the shelf units installed. (230 Volt / 50 Hz in these parts of the world). As I do not have a house*inverter (yet), the ER will be pitch black if the generator or dock supply were to fail.

If*I were to install new lighting today, I would do as JAT and go for LED.

I used fluorescent work-lights from Northern Tool; $20 each, individual switch,*socket outlet and ready-wired. Plastic body with polycarbonate sleeve to protect the bulb. The reflector can be positioned to suit. See top right and above genset.

Attachments

• cimg1694.jpg
    cimg1694.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 73
I am very grateful for this thread and comments as our KK42 is still configured with incandescent dome lights that collectively draw about 5 amps when on. I am looking forward to replacing them. Thanks for the comments.

No

So I figured out how to get the bulb out - a major accomplishment! I picked up a 24 inch bulb at Lowes but - who knew - the bulbs and fixtures from my Chinese built hull are 23 1/2 inches, not 24!!! I looked at modifying the fixture but it would require complete removal and then using my drill press. I decided this was getting ridiculous so I'm picking up a new fixture from Lowes for $19.95 and another bulb and replacing the whole damn thing.

Dave

I'm with you Magicbus!! *
Those 12 volt lights are to dim, I was always dragging a trouble light around with me, just to check oil, water levels and when checking for fluid leaks.* Finally I bought a Lowe's under cupboard florescent light and it worked great.* I started out with one in the engine room and quickly added five more.

Sorry for the hijack, but here's something I also find helpful for those oil and bilge checks. A cap light gives you light where you look and keeps your hands free.
31voP87QiIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Love the idea of florescents in the ER. I have 12V florescents in the salon and prefer them for task lighting. Never have given me any trouble. Seems like a great improvement for the ER.

Amazing grace had been outfitted with 4 florescent fixtures (2 bulbs in each) by a PO. The fixtures were "open", no cover. As only one bulb in each fixture would work, I removed all 4 and replaced with LED fixtures from Lowes (about $50 ea.); tied into the wiring for the old fixtures. I opted to retain the 120V connection as I can run the LEDs thru the inverter. The ER is now bright enough to be a hospital ER.
Bill Noftsinger
Amazing Grace

Back
Top Bottom