Flooded Machinery Space Recovery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger Long

Vessel Name
Gypsy Star
Vessel Make
Gulf Star 43
Our search for a trawler has brought us to an Albin 36 which looks just right except for having partially flooded due to a broken hose. (Close those seacocks!)

I'm awaiting a copy of the insurance survey but have seen a shipyard invoice showing that almost everything was replaced and the transmission rebuilt. Reportedly, the pump out was prompt and even the bilge pumps and float switches were replaced.

I'm thinking this could be a good thing since much of the auxiliary machinery and wiring is now only a year or two old. One thing I notice is that the generator was only pickled and not replaced. I'm sure the engine is OK but wondering about the electrical side.

We're about to drive 800 miles to look at this boat so I would appreciate any opinions, preferably from anyone who has a boat that has been through this.

It would depend if the sinking was in freshwater or salt. If fresh, I would continue; if salt, I would tread very carefully. In my experience, when a vessel has saltwater intrusion, it's a question of "when", not "if" there will be problems.

Questions I'd be asking:
  1. What are the specifics of the sinking?
  2. Wheat was replaced, and why was not all wiring replaced?
  3. What was done to safeguard the engine(s)? Fuel tanks? Bonding system?
  4. Who did the work? Their reputation?

Greetings,
Mr. RL. Take careful note of what Mr. PH has posted. Any amount of salt, even brackish water, will potentially cause havoc down the road...
giphy.gif

It depends on the height of the flooding. If generator stator submerged, even a few inches, the windings and laminated core are salted. Post flooding they can be recovered by removal, rinsing, baking and sealing. If this was not done corrosion is gnawing away at it as I type. A stator replacement should be in the budget, even if it functions now.

Inspect gen and main engine through oil fill holes. Any rust visible on valve gear, the engines were not recovered properly.

I've learned more (reportedly). The water never reached the generator but the boat was pumped out by the time the surveyor arrived so the treated it and other equipment on that level as if it had been wet.

I'll take a very close look though.

Thanks for your replies.

I've learned more (reportedly). The water never reached the generator but the boat was pumped out by the time the surveyor arrived so the treated it and other equipment on that level as if it had been wet.

I'll take a very close look though.

Thanks for your replies.

Just make sure your purchase surveyor and engine surveyor for your purchase both know the history and take it into consideration.

My 82' Mainship was bought as salvage, she had gone all the way down, a complete sinking!
This was in 1995. The engine was removed and run within 24 hours the genset only pickled. After 60 days I was able to purchase the boat and begin reconstruction. The bow thruster motor was removed and soaked in fresh water then baked. All wiring harnesses were cut back and re spliced. I could go into all the work which was done but I will only touch on the results.
After 16 years most all the wiring is functional. The bow thruster is still functional, there still is dry mud which shows up now and then. The fiberglass repair on the bottom continues to be perfect.
To me, this was a perfect way to get into a boat a could not have afforded at that time. It was purchased @ 10% if the insured value. If I were to find my next boat under similar circumstances I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
Anyone know of a Krogen 39 that's gone down? :)

Depends how adventurous you are. This will be a long term 'investigation'. But could be an advantageous opportunity. I would jump on it. Then again.... I am thinking about my 7 knot boat.

Back
Top Bottom