Old 12-31-2016, 10:54 PM   #1

City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Golden Dawn
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
FLIR One iPhone Attachment for Thermal Imaging

A few years back I recall a thread on the FLIR One attachment for an iPhone that allowed thermal imaging. A lot of people thought it was a good idea but hadn't tried it.

If you have used it, could you share how it is useful?

Thanks

Old 12-31-2016, 11:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDawn View Post
A few years back I recall a thread on the FLIR One attachment for an iPhone that allowed thermal imaging. A lot of people thought it was a good idea but hadn't tried it.

If you have used it, could you share how it is useful?

Thanks
Yes I own one, it works better than expected..if you walk across the floor in socks you can see your foot prints. I use it to locate radiant heating tubes in floors or the homes I build and to check insulation coverage in walls. I am using it more than our old $ 5000.00+ flir hand held unit.
Hollywood

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:15 AM   #3
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
There was a thread just a week or two ago where a guy used one to track down a dangerously overheating wire on his boat. After seeing that I ordered one, but it's back ordered until late January.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #4
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
CAT builds an Android industrial waterproof cellphone with built-in FLIR. I saw one in action, it is slick.

Rugged Phones & Accessories | Cat phones US
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:57 AM   #5
Guru

I thought I was losing my mind.."didn't I just post a response to this?"...
Nope another similar thread!
I went in looking for the Flir One and instead came out with the Flir Ocean Scout TK instead.
My thinking that the next time Apple changes the usb port on the iPhone, this won't immediately be obsolete. It is amazing to look around the house at electrical devices and see the heat produced. That and you can see heat leaking through less than perfectly insulated areas too. I've also scanned the property at night to see little animals lurking.
It is really kind of fun!
Bruce

FLIR Ocean Scout TK | FLIR Systems
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:05 AM   #6

City: Rapid City, SD heading back to the PNW
Checking out the Cat-40 phone as compared to the FLIR Ocean Scout, I think that I'll take the Cat-40 at half the price, and it's a phone to boot.
mramoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:28 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramoo View Post
Checking out the Cat-40 phone as compared to the FLIR Ocean Scout, I think that I'll take the Cat-40 at half the price, and it's a phone to boot.
I have no idea how long that phone might last but having the Flir with you is pretty handy...
My issue with phones is that they are so integrated into my life that the last time I tried switching from my current platform I was miserable.
Nope, I will keep my technology brands in the same camp for now and enjoy the Scout for what it is.
It will be interesting to see just how long my Scout lasts though.
Bruce
Old 01-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #8

City: Rapid City, SD heading back to the PNW
Bruce,
I know how you feel about having a good phone, I have had my contractors flip phone for 8 years now, it has fallen off the roof and into the lake, and it still works, my wife has gotten a new phone every other year and always complains about having to learn how to use it. LOL
mramoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramoo View Post
Bruce,
I know how you feel about having a good phone, I have had my contractors flip phone for 8 years now, it has fallen off the roof and into the lake, and it still works, my wife has gotten a new phone every other year and always complains about having to learn how to use it. LOL

8 years is an eternity when it comes to phones!
Couldn't do that with a smart phone...
I'm hoping that my little Scout will outlast many smart phones. We will have to wait and see though.
Bruce
Old 01-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #10

City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Golden Dawn
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I was worried that might be a recent, active thread and did a search before posting but didn't turn up anything more recent than 2013. Go figure . . .

Having done a couple night passages this summer, I was curious if anyone might have used FLIR 1 during their night travels - maybe to ID a pesky radar target.

I have used the FLIR First Mate (about $2,000 new) on our local SAR boat but it is a bit pricey.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Brownsville, WA
Here you go:

Using IR thermography to isolate electrical issues

Mine is the Android version. I have not tried it for distance yet, but I suspect the resolution would be a hindrance for that usage.
Battery life of the unit is the biggest annoyance for me. It seems to have a high parasitic draw when off, and maybe 0.5 hours life while running.
mgdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #12
Guru

City: So-Cal
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH
Is the intended use to scan for electrical system hot spots? If yes, ok makes sense.

If you are planning on using this device for night vision on the water, I am very scepticle.

I have a Flir ocean scout 320. It cost about $2500 and the resolution is fairly decent to see other boats, buoys, etc at night. It is definitely not equivalent to a Flir m series camera.

Point of post, an add on to a camera to see things in the dark while on the water will probably not work well , but again, I may be confused as to the intended service.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:47 PM   #13
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
I just received the Leupold hand held FLIR, I was about $500 to $600. It goes to 6x power, is very fast so your not seeing a choppy copy (30 ) and works really good. It uses a 123 battery which lasts for ten hours.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:04 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
Is the intended use to scan for electrical system hot spots? If yes, ok makes sense.

If you are planning on using this device for night vision on the water, I am very scepticle.

I have a Flir ocean scout 320. It cost about $2500 and the resolution is fairly decent to see other boats, buoys, etc at night. It is definitely not equivalent to a Flir m series camera.

Point of post, an add on to a camera to see things in the dark while on the water will probably not work well , but again, I may be confused as to the intended service.
My goal is to scan for hot spots, but it will be interesting to see if it's of value for night vision while cruising. But I have a FLIR installed on the boat and have to say I find it of little value while cruising. It was not money well spent.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:54 AM   #15
Guru

Twistedtree

What is your complaint about FLIR? What doesn't it do for you?
Old 01-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #16
Guru

City: So-Cal
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
Twistedtree

What is your complaint about FLIR? What doesn't it do for you?
I would be interested to hear your feedback as well. Can you tell us what you are using now, the gen, and the shortcomings you have found?
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #17
Guru

Fletcher500

As stated above I just took delivery of the new handheld Leupold. It measures frames at 30 per second so it us smooth, it has power from 1x to 6x, it's waterproof, it uses one battery (123) and it's good for 9 hours, it also has a choice of five colors to view. It also fits in my pocket. It's new so I have used it very much but the one drawback is it a cylinder so it can roll off a flat service. Considering the price I'm pleased with it but since it really hasn't been used in an actual stressful situation I reserve final judgement.

Hope this helps. I will have it with me at the Ft. Pierce gathering in February if anyone would like to see it.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:25 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
I would be interested to hear your feedback as well. Can you tell us what you are using now, the gen, and the shortcomings you have found?
It's a current model, the M-625XP. I ran it our whole trip up the coast in moderately bouncy weather. Between movement of the image due to boat movement, and modest resolution (640x480), I'd be shocked if you could pick out anything in the water. I could barely find the horizon. I think it might be like the great debate over who's radar can see crab/lobster buoy, and all the screen shots to prove it. Sure, if calm, flat water pretty much any radar can pick out a small object, but in anything other than perfect conditions, fugettaboutit.

That said, I know other people with them and they say they are a lifesaver entering ports and anchorages at night, and I haven't tried that.

But for me, so far, I'd say it was the biggest waste of $$ on my boat. Maybe the day will come when it saves by butt, and I'll feel differently about it.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
It's a current model, the M-625XP. I ran it our whole trip up the coast in moderately bouncy weather. Between movement of the image due to boat movement, and modest resolution (640x480), I'd be shocked if you could pick out anything in the water. I could barely find the horizon. I think it might be like the great debate over who's radar can see crab/lobster buoy, and all the screen shots to prove it. Sure, if calm, flat water pretty much any radar can pick out a small object, but in anything other than perfect conditions, fugettaboutit.

That said, I know other people with them and they say they are a lifesaver entering ports and anchorages at night, and I haven't tried that.

But for me, so far, I'd say it was the biggest waste of $$ on my boat. Maybe the day will come when it saves by butt, and I'll feel differently about it.
Scratch that one off the list... it wasn't actually on the list in the short run but maybe later I might have considered it.
Bruce
Old 01-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #20
Guru

A friend of mine who works search and rescue claims its invaluable in finding people in the water at night, you can put a spotlight on them and never see them but Flir leaves a great signature. Of course the one he has is very expensive.