Old 05-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #41
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Lastly, and it is purely personal taste, but I don't like the interior architecture. Perhaps my adverse reaction is exacerbated by the finishes of that particular boat, however.
I'm not in the market and never will be for this class of vessel, but I didn't find it attractive inside or out. Inside it reminded me of a Swift Trawler - and since I get a (free) copy of P&MY I'm certainly aware that this kind of euro-styling must be where the market is. But I found the prominent rounded window edge jarring. And I'm irritated to see they adopted the practice from residential real estate of elongating the edges of the photos to make spaces appear larger (note the elliptical control knob on the dishwasher). And fast or slow, the lack of handholds alarms me.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
I'm not in the market and never will be for this class of vessel, but I didn't find it attractive inside or out. Inside it reminded me of a Swift Trawler - and since I get a (free) copy of P&MY I'm certainly aware that this kind of euro-styling must be where the market is. But I found the prominent rounded window edge jarring. And I'm irritated to see they adopted the practice from residential real estate of elongating the edges of the photos to make spaces appear larger (note the elliptical control knob on the dishwasher). And fast or slow, the lack of handholds alarms me.
What I find interesting is you're more a traditionalist. MYTraveler not so much so. And we definitely are not. There viewers from different angles. Yet, we all have similar "ehhh" reactions. That's been my belief from the start that it wouldn't appeal to the Nordy and wouldn't really to the non-Nordy. It's not the classic of the Nordhavn, but put it in the middle of the market of semi-displacement of faster cruisers and it's a large market with so many more attractive choices. It tries to be the best of both worlds so misses the target in both worlds, in my opinion. They keep trying this CP routine and keep building one or two of each model then they fade away.

My suggestion to them would be if they want to be in the coastal cruiser business with a different type boat, then get it designed and created by some people who have never been a part of Nordhavn or worked with them. Come up with a completely different line with it's own name and then just put underneath if you want, "By Nordhavn." Emphasize that it's built by Nordhavn, maintain Nordhavn quality, but really it should have few if any other similarities.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #43
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I agree with you on the forward seating. It is nice to have. I don't agree on the Marlow clone nor do I agree that Marlow has in any way cut into their franchise. Marlow did cut into Grand Banks, but of course that's where he came from. Right now I don't see them cutting into much of anyone's franchise. Fleming and Marlow customers though are very different. Fleming's always been low volume and continues much the same.
So in what way is the 58 not a Marlow clone? What is innovative about it compared to the equivalent length Marlow? And I will tell you having talked with many owners of each marque, they are exactly the same customer demographic and with very similar boating experience.

I would submit to you that in the grand scheme of things, the Fleming 55 has been one of the, if not the, most popular boats in its class for a long time now.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
So in what way is the 58 not a Marlow clone? What is innovative about it compared to the equivalent length Marlow? And I will tell you having talked with many owners of each marque, they are exactly the same customer demographic and with very similar boating experience.

I would submit to you that in the grand scheme of things, the Fleming 55 has been one of the, if not the, most popular boats in its class for a long time now.
I agree the Fleming 55 has been one of the most popular boats. Don't see any argument with that. I just know that Fleming had some requests that led to the 58, things some people didn't like about the 55 or liked but wanted changed.

Ok, I'm very anti-Marlow and I think comparing a boat of their quality and a Fleming is insulting to Fleming.

There is nothing truly innovative about the 58 or about Marlow or most boats out there. To say that the layout of the boat is similar is fair. But so many things beyond layout that are important.

I've also talked to Fleming and Marlow owners. I find Fleming buyers are looking for the best and have done a lot of thinking and research, while Marlow buyers are more price conscious and more prone to a slick presentation and sales job.

There is no comparison between the ride of a similarly sized Fleming and Marlow. There is no comparison between the construction quality. There is no comparison between the companies or warranty service or delivery quality.

It's like comparing a small Infiniti to a large Hyundai because they're similarly sized and both have four doors. (And I'm a fan of both Infiniti and Hyundai but consider them very different).

I love the layout and general design of Marlow. However, calling something a clone implies to me that it's a copy or even perhaps a cheaper version, but not that it's got a similar layout on a much better quality boat. Perhaps it has a different meaning to you or you think of Marlow as a better boat than I do. I have no problem thinking of a Marlow as a Grand Banks clone.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #45
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
BB

Some may find the boat in your avatar unappealing. But since I've never been on the vessel but just seen pictures my scatter shot opinions and views are not worth much.

Flemings and Nordhavns have strong followings and stellar owner support. Their vessels have been so well vetted and tested that getting caught up in analyzing photos seems trivial. A trip or two aboard generally firms things up for me.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:30 PM   #46
Guru

Quote:
What I find interesting is you're more a traditionalist. MYTraveler not so much so. And we definitely are not. There viewers from different angles. Yet, we all have similar "ehhh" reactions. That's been my belief from the start that it wouldn't appeal to the Nordy and wouldn't really to the non-Nordy.
Yes, I am indeed more of a traditionalist. I don't particularly mind modern designs, but as my eye moves over them I don't expect to see jarring transitions. The exterior of the 59CP is an odd (to my eye) combination of themes. I can appreciate purpose-built. And I can appreciate boats built more for aesthetics (thinking euro-design). This looks like a forced combination that nobody asked for.

Today's business success increasingly rewards evidence over whim. If NH doesn't have several of these pre-ordered, I'm thinking they skimped on that critical step. Unfortunately, they don't seem to possess Steve Jobs' talent for innovation outside their original premise.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:35 PM   #47
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Considering Nordhavn started out life building sailboats I'd say they have a fantastic track record of innovating their product line.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #48
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
BB

Some may find the boat in your avatar unappealing.
My boat isn't much to look at either, I knew that when I ordered it, but I like my boat and I even like looking at it. That shouldn't disqualify me (or anyone else with a boat that others might not appreciate, visually or otherwise) from expressing an opinion about the form or function of another vessel. In fact, I enjoy hearing conflicting opinions of others, particularly when their basis is well expressed.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:50 PM   #49
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
They (Nordhavn) keep trying this CP routine and keep building one or two of each model then they fade away.
What other coastal cruisers have they built? There have been other designs put out as bait but I don't think any were ever built. I suppose the N35 is a coastal cruiser, but I think they built 35-40 of them so a reasonably successful run.

BTW, I otherwise agree with your assessment. I wish PAE all the best with the CP59, but it's certainly not a move I would have made were I in PAE's shoes. It's a crowded market with many fine builders to choose from.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
BB

Some may find the boat in your avatar unappealing. But since I've never been on the vessel but just seen pictures my scatter shot opinions and views are not worth much.

Flemings and Nordhavns have strong followings and stellar owner support. Their vessels have been so well vetted and tested that getting caught up in analyzing photos seems trivial. A trip or two aboard generally firms things up for me.
I would imagine the vast majority here would find the boat in my avatar unappealing.

I think you can analyze layout before going aboard and get some idea of appeal, but then you have to be careful on aesthetics because it could just be the individual owner. Then with a boat, the real test is on the water.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:01 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
What other coastal cruisers have they built? There have been other designs put out as bait but I don't think any were ever built. .
Perhaps they were just bait and never actually built. Calling for help from Oliver as he's the one who told me about them at one time. It's been a while and he's the Nordhavn expert so maybe he'll respond.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Considering Nordhavn started out life building sailboats I'd say they have a fantastic track record of innovating their product line.
You're confusing Nordhavn (Norwegian for North Harbor for the fishing boats they were styled after) with the Al Mason PAE cruising sailboats. I don't know how many Nordhavn 56 motorsailers were sold, but I imagine only a handful. Did they do better with the 75 EYF (expedition yachtfisher)? Maybe, it's still listed in their product line. And I can see a definite resemblance to the boat in MYTraveler's avatar - there must be something about long-range sport fishing yachts that informs that style. But then there's the 35 Coastal Pilot. A very experienced friend in my YC almost ordered one, but I don't think that would be considered a successful departure either. Sure, they've gone upmarket and larger as their owners wanted to upgrade, but beyond that I'm not seeing any success getting outside their traffic lane.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
I would imagine the vast majority here would find the boat in my avatar unappealing.
I know my dog wouldn't like it! She wants a walk-around protected deck to "patrol the perimeter" and keep us safe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Walkaround.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	52263

When we were locking through last weekend there was a 35ish sportboat with a sloping deck and no bow rails behind us. They had a doberman on the forward deck. Without a life preserver. I just cringed.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
I know my dog wouldn't like it! She wants a walk-around protected deck to "patrol the perimeter" and keep us safe.

When we were locking through last weekend there was a 35ish sportboat with a sloping deck and no bow rails behind us. They had a doberman on the forward deck. Without a life preserver. I just cringed.
It has a walk around deck. Now she could fall through the rails. She'd like the steps to the bridge too.

I cringe sometimes when I see dogs in sloping areas with no jacket. Even more when it's children.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #55
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
No confusion on my part, you postulated N had demonstrated no ability to advance the product line.

"Unfortunately, they don't seem to possess Steve Jobs' talent for innovation outside their original premise."

Shouldn't discount how much involvement PAE had in the development of both lines is my opinion.

One look at a Fleming tells me zero innovation outside their original premise has taken place since it was borrowed from his previous employer. No offense, it's an awesome boat and perhaps my favorite new build but still nothing at all innovative.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
N

One look at a Fleming tells me zero innovation outside their original premise has taken place since it was borrowed from his previous employer. No offense, it's an awesome boat and perhaps my favorite new build but still nothing at all innovative.
They definitely haven't reinvented themselves. Any change is very subtle. I like them just as they are. If it's working, stick to it. On the other hand, that can lead to a company's demise eventually. Fleming however isn't dependent on large volume, just builds a few boats and continues.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #57
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Fleming 55 started in 1986, and had a bunch of earlier very successful pilothouse designs to look at, and include feedback from owners of those boats. Apart from the Grand Alaskan this included De Fever's around 50' and OA Mk1's like mine, by Ed Monk Jnr and likely some others. Raised pilothouse boats designs are all 'variations on a common theme' really. Details of course separate them.

The Mk 1's production run was from 1978 to about 1984 and totaled 98 boats. Very successful I think. It was followed by the Mk 2 which was a quite different design and less popular I believe.

In the 30 years the F55 has been built they are still only up to hull number 244 (or close to that) as of feedback I received 2 days ago. Now a yard that was then only building a dozen or so boats a year (of all sizes) can pay close attention to quality, which they do, and they are still selling. People will pay for quality if it is a good design. The F58 ER, and the alternative midship master stateroom layout were the two big 'feedback issues' from F55 owners or potential owners. Having sold 20 F58's in 2 or 3 years suggests to me they are on a winner with it. It would be near the top of my shortlist if buying new in that size.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #58
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Nice

http://flemingyachts.com/compnews.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	117.9 KB