Old 06-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Baltimore Md
Vessel Name: Graceful
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
Flares

Quick question ..... How can I get rid of expired flares. The PO left a bunch on board and it seems every cabinet I search I find more. Not sure what to do with them.

gonesailing13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 13. Try your local fire department. They ARE pyrotechnic devices after all and you're just trying to prevent a fire.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sydney
Why get rid of them they could just be the ones that save your ass. Place them in sealed plastic bags with a big note saying EXPIRED and a date keep them handy although they are expired they will still work as long as they haven't been wet or damaged . We set off flares that were 25 years old still worked .

You could also donate them to the British football fans they will make good use of them.
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #4

City: Muskegon, MI
Vessel Name: Sum Escape
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47' Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesailing13 View Post
Quick question ..... How can I get rid of expired flares. The PO left a bunch on board and it seems every cabinet I search I find more. Not sure what to do with them.
I have been able to bring the expired ones to West Marine in certain cities. Call and ask the local store.
sum escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesailing13 View Post
4th of July is right around the corner.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:09 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Every town has a way to dispose of hazardous waste and just about every one of them is different. In my town you soak the flares in water until the sulfur compound turns to mush, tie up in a plastic bag and throw in the trash.
And please do not shoot 12 ga. flares into the air. They come down still burning on house roofs and cars and set stuff on fire.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Tarpon Springs
Vessel Name: Conchy Jac
Vessel Model: Rosborough RF 246
Call your local USCG Aux group if you don't want them aboard after getting currents. They often use expired for training. I keep mine for when they have training days and go out and blow them off so I remember how and to teach crew.
Rossigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:05 AM   #8
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Do what we did and buy the SOS Distress Light. Then you are always in compliance and you never need to buy flares again. Then keep all your expired flares on board. You wouldn't even need to mark them as expired as the SOS Light makes you compliant with USCG regs.
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:05 AM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I tried to find a way to dispose of flares not long ago. I called everywhere I could think of in the county and no one would take expire flares. Fortunately, the local USCG auxiliary was going to do a training at our Yacht Club and wanted expired flares to use. I gave them a bunch, and still had a LOT of expired flares that I kept on board.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:27 AM   #10
FF
Guru

When we had this problem , we anchored off a USCG station and told them we were conducting pyrotechnic crew training for about 1 hour and would notify them at the conclusion.

The military is used to being TOLD what to do, not asked for permission.

Works just fine with no hassles.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:00 AM   #11
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
So many of my customers ask me how to get rid of expired flares I once spent a couple of hours trying to figure it out.
County Haz Mat disposal site-No
USCG-No
USCGA-No
Local Fire Dept-No
State Fire Marshal told me there was a Haz Mat incinerator several hours drive away from me that would take them.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:15 AM   #12
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Handhelds are easy, set them off on your property...usually no problem with that unless you are in a declared fire hazard area. The orange smoke ones in the woods are fun...best if your property is open and there at least 5 knots of wind or so....

12 ga , if you fire them into the water at close rsnge and at greater than 45 degrees...they just go in an bubble their way to the bottom. A 55 gallon drum of water with a few inches of sand on the bottom would probably work too.

Good luck with the 25mm ones...I am too scared to fire those babies anywhere but up and away....

FF s suggestion is a good one as many have never lit one or fired one before so it is good training for crew and friends....heck many have never seen flares from a distance so spread the word...the more people that actually see one, the less false reports the USCG will get....way too many...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Yarrow Bay, WA
Vessel Name: SHASA III
Vessel Model: Transworld 40 Sundeck
Dave...The local King County recycling stations in the area that have a hazardous waste section will take them...I just got rid of a load dating back to the 80s at the recycling station in Factoria. No charge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I tried to find a way to dispose of flares not long ago. I called everywhere I could think of in the county and no one would take expire flares. Fortunately, the local USCG auxiliary was going to do a training at our Yacht Club and wanted expired flares to use. I gave them a bunch, and still had a LOT of expired flares that I kept on board.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:06 AM   #14
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHASA III View Post
Dave...The local King County recycling stations in the area that have a hazardous waste section will take them...I just got rid of a load dating back to the 80s at the recycling station in Factoria. No charge...
Thanks. That is good to know. I certainly had no luck in Pierce county.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Yarrow Bay, WA
Vessel Name: SHASA III
Vessel Model: Transworld 40 Sundeck
It looks like the South Seattle station also accepts them.

I keep the more recently expired ones for "just in case" but I had several flares that had corroded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Thanks. That is good to know. I certainly had no luck in Pierce county.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:17 AM   #16

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Why get rid of them they could just be the ones that save your ass. Place them in sealed plastic bags with a big note saying EXPIRED and a date keep them handy although they are expired they will still work as long as they haven't been wet or damaged . We set off flares that were 25 years old still worked.
Exactly what I do! I have a large orange zippered bag labeled "Expired Flares", which contains flares going back to the 90s. They have been stored well; and I can attest that the old 12 gauge and hand flares worked when tested. In an emergency, I will go through my expired flares first. I also carry a spare 12 gauge flare gun.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:26 AM   #17
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
I finally got rid of 30 years of flares this year. The Canadian Power and Sail Squadron organized with CIL dealer to have flare disposal dates and locations across Canada. No charge just a donation, only if you wish.
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:05 AM   #18
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Old flares can be OK, or NOT. In safety inspections, that I have been doing for 20 yrs, first under the auspices of the Coast Guard Auxiliary, more recently just as a Yacht club volunteer, we used to take the old flares, especially the dangerous looking ones, but now we can't take them, as we rarely have a place get rid of them. The best solutions have been offered here already.
If they look marginal, they are! Don't hang onto those. If they look like new, they are likely OK to keep, as they aren't going to leak noxious chemicals into your locker. Old flares, even if they look good, may not work. If you get rid of them by firing into the water, keep track of how many misfires you get. The number will surprise you.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:19 AM   #19
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Power Squadrons appreciate the donations for training / demo
I use every opportunity to do a hands-on demo at our marina any time we do a camp fire we have someone light the flare and it makes a great fire starter.
If no USPS or CG Aux or Fire Depts etc wanting them try anyone that camps...hand held make great fire starters.

I have never experienced an expired hand-held that didn't work...some re than 10 yrs old.
sometimes the striker doesn't but you can reuse another striker
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:50 PM   #20
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
A few years ago at the yacht club I belonged to I organized a "Flare Demo Day". We got the permission from the USCG and after notifying all the law enforcement agencies in the area and the fire departments, we held it on the banks of the river. The local fire department had a fire engine and ambulance stand by during the demo and gave some kids that showed up a tour of the ambulance and pumper truck.

It was open to the public and was well advertised and we got about 50 people to show up. They fired off about 250 flares of varying shapes and sizes and types.

The only old ones that didn't work well seemed to be the ones that you hand hold and yank on a string at the back to fire them off. Those only worked about 1/2 the time. The rest of the hand held flares, the 12 gauge and 25mm(?) flares all worked as advertised.

I think the biggest surprise to everyone is how the aerial flares worked. They only last a second or two, didn't seem to go very high, and should only be used if you see or hear a rescue chopper or boat nearby.

We've since joined a different club and I'm holding another Flare Demo Day next month.