Old 02-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #1

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
C:\[esc]

Hi all.

I've been lurking and reading posts here for a few months, but now that I've actually placed a check in the mail, I feel that I should introduce myself. My name is Matt, my wife is Megan, and our daughter is Taylor. We cruise out of Tacoma, WA for most of the year.

Last week we purchased a 1983 Fu Hwa Europa Seahorse. I read the thread about what is, and what is not a Europa trawler, but since the owners manual calls this boat a Europa, I'm going with that.

This is my wife and my 4th real boat (not including canoes, dinghys, cartoppable sailboats, etc). Our first boat was*a 1979 Catalina 28 Sailboat that we owned for just over a year. We then traded up to a 1986 Catalina 30 Sailboat which we owned for almost 5 years. When my wife was pregnant with our daughter, we decided to sell the sailboat and get a smaller boat designed more for daytrips and quick outings that can get to a destination quickly, so we purchased a 1987 28' Bayliner Contessa. We still own the Bayliner, but have listed it with Gig Harbor Yacht Sales, so if anyone is interesed...

In August, we were visiting friends near Oak Harbor, and were walking the docks looking at boats. I happened to come up on one particular trawler, and mentioned to the folks we were staying at that in a year or two that was exactly the type of boat that we were looking at purchasing in another year or two.... and thought nothing of it.

In November, we got a phone call from our friends. It turns out, he knew the owner of that trawler, and the current owner was thinking of getting rid of it so that he could purchase a smaller Nordic Tug. Over the course of a few weeks, we looked into it, and it turns out that this boat was too perfect a fit for us to pass up on... so as I said in the beginning, last week we put the checks in the mail.

I've attached a few pictures of the boat, as well as a youtube vid I took during the survey. It's*not exactly thrilling video, but it's a pretty good look at the boat.

[video=

Attached Thumbnails
seahorse_bow_survey.png   seahorse_stern.png  
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Re: C:\[esc]

Congratulations! Small world, I just looked at your video and saw my old house up on the hill there at Mariner's Cove!
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #3

Funny, I posted a similar note on a pacific northwest based listserv and one of the first responses I got was, "Oh, I know that boat. I recognize it from sailing the blue hill sailboat across from you "BlueMoon".

Small world, indeed.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #4

Yes, C:\[ESC] will be the name of the boat.

My wife is afraid that it screams "There go the geeks".... but I resemble that remark. ;-)
Old 02-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
mattkab wrote:

My wife is afraid that it screams "There go the geeks".... but I resemble that remark. ;-)

Feel your inner geek! x= Jell 0 + HDD boot/2 FAT (Albert)

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 12:32:52 PM
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

I hope you never have to transit through New Orleans at the Mississippi River, the Bridge and lock tenders here have a hard time getting the name GUMBO (my boat) right. I have often had to spell it out, likewise when hailing marinas.
Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 02:14:35 PM
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #7

I figured "Sea Escape" will work for VHF hailing, planning, etc, but that is a clear problem.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Nice vessel, Matt. Sincere congrats. BTW, when you figure out how to do those electronics on-board for hundreds instead of thousands, you just go right ahead and publish those discoveries for us right here so the rest of us can follow suit.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Quote:
mattkab wrote:

I'm glad you're in my cruising area, so when the Coast Guard asks you to*"spell your vessel name"*over the VHF*I get to hear it.* I would love to see the look on the Coasties face when he writes it down!!*

"Charlie, colon, backslash, Bracket Echo, Sierra, Charlie, bracket."*

**************************************** H U H* ??*
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #10

Not sure the USCG will allow you to document a vessel with symbols in the name... it is a cool name though
7tiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:

Not sure the USCG will allow you to document a vessel with symbols in the name... it is a cool name though

And yet, you can name your boat 'Mayday'. Go figger.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Edelweiss wrote:
"Charlie, colon, backslash, Bracket Echo, Sierra, Charlie, bracket."*

**************************************** H U H* ??*
* * * ** :teevee: * Ditto! *******
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:And yet, you can name your boat 'Mayday'. Go figger.
That's because "mayday" for an emergency technically*isn't spelled that way.* It's spelled "m'aider" which is part of the*French*phrase. "venez m'aider" which means "come help me."** An "er" at the end of a word in French is generally pronounced "ay" as in "day."* Actually, so is "ez."

So if you name your boat "Mayday" you're just fine. But if you name it "M'aider" the USCG will come and blow you out of the water and then send you a bill for the ammunition.

Your history lesson for the day......
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #14

I am pretty sure you cannot name a vessel "Mayday", or any other word which sounds like a word which is generally used to request aid at sea (ie, you can't call a ship "Ess-O-Ess")
7tiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:
I am pretty sure you cannot name a vessel "Mayday", or any other word which sounds like a word which is generally used to request aid at sea (ie, you can't call a ship "Ess-O-Ess")
*"The United Nations and International Maritime Organization (IMO) have designated "Mayday" as the international distress code."

Making a hoax "Mayday" call is a criminal act in 170 of the*member countries of the*United Nations.**The danger to the rescuers' lives that a*rescue operation can create, the potential for real emergencies elsewhere, as well as the*high costs of such rescue efforts, makes a false distress call an international crime.*

Making a false distress call in the United States is a federal crime carrying sanctions of up to six years imprisonment, and a fine of $250,000.

I don't know. . . . what do you think?? * My guess is the Coast Guard takes a dim view of calling mayday over the radio even if it is your boats name.**I'll bet you only do it once!!

Larry B.**
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

In Canada, you must get your name approved. "Mayday" or anything that might sound like it on the VHF, will not be approved. Period
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:06 AM   #17
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Quote:
mattkab wrote:

Hello Matt

C:\[ESC]*is*great name for your boat!* Cool survey video... looks like you found a real nice craft, congrats!* Be chating with ya in the future and look forward to hear your tricks on equipment building.* I'm in SF Bay area.

Happy Trawler Daze!! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #18

These are all good points on the name.

I'm thinking the name on the registration and the documentation may be "Sea Escape", with the name on the Transom being C:\[ESC]. Need to look into the legality of that though...
Old 02-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #19
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic

What's on the transom has to match the documentation with specific height characters, etc....
Giggitoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #20
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Quote:
mattkab wrote:
These are all good points on the name.

I'm thinking the name on the registration and the documentation may be "Sea Escape", with the name on the Transom being C:\[ESC]. Need to look into the legality of that though...
Matt - I say go with your passion!* But, that's the way I am!!* LOL

It is time the CG came into the 21st Century and learned the most*basic computer-term lingo-layout.* Think they can??* *
Art is offline   Reply With Quote