Old 06-12-2016, 12:02 PM   #21
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
I have to admit...

I've been the one writing recently about flag protocol and practices that have been established over the years for recreational boats in our newsletter. There are no rules for recreational boats other than courtesy flag rules imposed by some countries (under penalty of fine or even arrest). For example, it's officially considered an act of war to fly the Cuban courtesy flag upside down. Check out the flag and realize how easy it is to fly upside down - the star should be pointing up.

The accepted practice in the US for your ensign is 1" of flag length per 1' of boat length (rounded up to an available flag size).

That said, we're picking up our new-to-us boat in another week. She's 65' and the length of the flag I'm bringing is 96". I want a big friggin flag on the boat as we cross New York harbor and I don't care about the "rules"...

Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #22
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I have "downsized" my flag. The boat is 60' long but a 3'x5' flag would be impractical to fly from the transom. We use a flag that's 36" long.

No courtesy flag....yet.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:20 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
I have to admit...

I've been the one writing recently about flag protocol and practices that have been established over the years for recreational boats in our newsletter. There are no rules for recreational boats other than courtesy flag rules imposed by some countries (under penalty of fine or even arrest). For example, it's officially considered an act of war to fly the Cuban courtesy flag upside down. Check out the flag and realize how easy it is to fly upside down - the star should be pointing up.

The accepted practice in the US for your ensign is 1" of flag length per 1' of boat length (rounded up to an available flag size).

That said, we're picking up our new-to-us boat in another week. She's 65' and the length of the flag I'm bringing is 96". I want a big friggin flag on the boat as we cross New York harbor and I don't care about the "rules"...

Big flags are awesome! I applaud your flag size decision!
I said it before and I will say it again, small ensigns on yachts are silly looking. To my eye, the size of the boat does not make any difference...
If in doubt, go big!
I guess everyone here knows how I feel about this now.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
43' boat length.
National flag is 3'x5'
No courtesy fall atm

Pretty hard to keep a thread from drifting isn't it.
Wifey B: I'm as bad about it as anyone...so can't complain. Well, could....but lot's of things I could complain about and choose not to. Life's too short.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
Where are people buying their flags would be my other question?

Have you tried googling "US flags?" I turned up a bunch of sources that offer good quality embroidered flags made in America for reasonable prices. I didn't check for largest sizes available. Try Amazon first.
Wifey B: We have our flags. Just curious where others were getting theirs, if there might be better sources.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:00 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
If in doubt, go big!
I guess everyone here knows how I feel about this now.
Bruce
Wifey B: You're officially part of the "bigger is better" brigade.

Now, seriously for a moment. I love seeing now the responses of Jeffrey with his 96" Flag. Wonder what size staff he has?

And I'm fine with GFC's smaller flag.

Actually, I'm fine with anything anyone flies and if it fits in or doesn't fit in some convention, then fine. Think I just figured out what I dislike about "convention." It contains the word "convent" and I can't imagine living in a convent.....
Old 06-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #27
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Boat 44 ft
Cdn Flag 2.5ft x 4ft
US Courtesy Flag 12in. X 18in(approx.)

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:05 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post

Wifey B: Guessing it's 5' x 8', are you going to have a 10' staff? By then I think we should call it a pole.