Flag Pole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FIRE

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Change
Silly question - One of my many winter projects on a new to me boat was to refinish the teak burgee and rear flag poles. Came out very nice by creatively using a drill as a lathe motor (secured in a vise) chucked into the mounting end of the pole with a large nail and the other side resting in a rounded out piece of starboard...very slippery. Then went to town with 60 grit to 80 to 100 and so on and finished with 6 coats of Lust from Jamestown (love that stuff).

Dumb question is: How do I mount the flag? There is a brass through hole in the top of the pole and there may have been a cleat on the bottom. Okay - Now what? I can't seem to find a decent picture online and while I can find flag hardware I am curious of what actually works to secure a burgee or large US Flag in the back with typical winds?

Aside: On my maiden voyage I plan on flying a flag I purchased at Mount Vernon which flew above GW's house July 4th 2020. Great gift idea...who knew you can purchase such an item.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 11.44.59 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 11.44.59 AM.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 24
Look up Jabsco Skipper Flag Clips and Taylor Made Flag Clips. One style clamps on and one style screws into the wood.

Nice job on the refinishing. Creative approach and great result.

These are the clips that I like. They have never come loose even in high winds. You drill 2 small holes in the flag pole at each clip. Wide enough apart so the clip is in tension but not so wide that you can’t get it on and off.

Attachments

• 9CE18A06-FD94-40E1-AB26-9C2E7991369D.jpg
    9CE18A06-FD94-40E1-AB26-9C2E7991369D.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 55BC14B0-AED2-479A-9FF7-9132CBD35B8F.jpg
    55BC14B0-AED2-479A-9FF7-9132CBD35B8F.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 12
Tie a nylon cord to the upper flag grommet and run the cord up through the hole. Tie a figure eight knot so it can’t pull back through. Tie a second cord through the lower grommet and secure. You can add a nice small brass cleat to secure the lower if needed. That will look nice and “yachty”.

That is a Bete-Fleming rig (made in Mattapoisett, MA) Nice piece of kit. We bought ours new and it is Cigatoo describes it. Ours has a cleat on the bottom. After the knot on top, secure the top grommet with a clove hitch type of knot, then run the same line down the hoist of the flag to second grommet, secure, thence to cleat. Our base has a thumb-screw clamp, but without a dimple on the pole (the insertion point of the pole is S/S) it is useless. Given the cost of the rig, I then continue the line down to thumb screw and use that to secure it all to boat (another clove type hitch).

I redid my flagpole also. It looked great. The problem is that most flags and burgees are different sizes. Flags wear out, etc. Maybe a metal insert running the length of the pole would work. Keep you from drilling new holes every time you get a new flag. I'm thinking like an aluminum shelf bracket.

pete

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom