Flag Etiquette/Rules

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This has drawn me out of Lurker Mode

Talking of the Royal Navy and the Brits....

The British "flag code" is to fly the Ensign at the stern (White-Navy, Red-Merchant/Civilian or Blue-Royal Naval Reserve or Royal Yacht Club etc), and the national flag (the Union Jack) is flown at the Jack staff at the bow but only when the ship is not underway/moored.

Wikipedia also notes that "The use of the Union Flag as an ensign on a civilian craft is still illegal ever since Charles I ordered it be restricted to His Majesty's ships "upon pain of Our high displeasure" in the 17th century, mainly due to its unauthorised use by merchant mariners to avoid paying harbour duties by passing themselves off as Royal vessels"

Returning to Lurk-Mode :)

Flag

What is the group's opinion on the United States Yatch ensign flag,which flies of my stern pole it was on there when I bought the rig and left it as a sign of respect to the previous owner

Last edited:
What is the group's opinion on an ensign flag,which flies of my stern pole

https://www.usps.org/f_stuff/etiquett.html#updated-code

The U.S. national ensign, sometimes called "50-star" or "Old Glory," is the proper and preferred flag for all U.S. vessels. Your boat should wear it from 0800 until sunset, and when you enter or leave port during daylight or at night, weather and rig permitting. While in port, if you leave your boat and will not return before sunset, lower and stow the national ensign before you go.
The national ensign worn by a vessel must be the flag of her registry—not necessarily that of the owner or operator.
Generally, the national ensign should be displayed at the peak of the gaff, i.e., the outer end of the spar extending aft from the mast of your boat—if you boat has a gaff. If it does not, fly it from the flagstaff at your boat's stern. If your boat has an overhanging boom or an outboard motor, your flagstaff may be offset to starboard (preferably) from your boat's centerline.

The U.S. yacht ensign [definition] features a blue canton (the rectangle at the upper corner nearest the staff) having 13 white stars and a fouled anchor. Originally devised as a signal to identify documented yachts to relieve them of certain customs formalities, it is now flown on recreational boats of all types and sizes instead of the national ensign in domestic waters. Traditionally, the yacht ensign had a 10:19 hoist/fly ratio like the U.S. ensign. Today it is found with a 2:3 or 3:5 ratio. However, the preferred flag is the 50-star national ensign, especially since the yacht ensign must never be flown in international or foreign waters since it has no standing as a national ensign.

The USPS ensign [definition] has a red canton containing 13 white stars surrounding a fouled anchor. The remainder of the flag contains thirteen vertical blue and white stripes. The USPS ensign has a 2:3 hoist/fly ratio. [Design] It is flown as a signal to others that the boat is commanded by an active member of USPS.
The preferred location for flying the USPS ensign is the starboard yardarm or spreader halyard. It may be worn there day and night. While in U.S. waters, the USPS ensign may be flown instead of the national ensign, and in any position and at any time appropriate to fly the national ensign.
The USPS ensign may be flown on boats displaying the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary (blue) ensign to indicate the owner is a member of both organizations, however when doing so, it may not be flown in lieu of the national ensign. The USPS ensign cannot be flown when the vessel is operating under U.S. Coast Guard orders and the USCGAux operational ensign is being worn.
Generally triangular in shape, although sometimes swallow-tailed, the yacht club burgee contains a unique design symbolic of the organization represented. If you boat is a mastless or single-masted yacht, fly your burgee from the bow staff. Boats without a bow staff should wear a burgee at the truck of a single-master yacht. On the other hand, if the truck is occupied with instruments or other conflicting gear, a pigstick can be affixed to a halyard so as to carry a flag above the truck. Alternatively, the burgee may be worn at a spreader halyard. If your boat has two or more masts, fly your burgee at the truck (top) of the forward mast. Do not display more than one burgee at a time. The burgee your boat wears should be that of the group in whose activity you are participating, or whose harbor you are entering, if you are a member of that group. Otherwise, fly the burgee of your home organization. Each yacht club usually has rules that determine when their burgee should be flown.

Excellent post B. Will note it’s quite important to follow proper etiquette when traveling internationally. Local law enforcement and vendors do note what you’re flying and occasionally comment on it. The fellow cruisers do as well and may even dinghy over to say hi in response. We always flew Stars and Stripes off the stern pole. The local national flag (after the Q was down) to starboard. If we had non American crew their flag flew under the local national flag. The OCC and SDR burgees to port. Never flew “pirate” or other “entertaining” flags anywhere. In some countries and anchorages they are viewed as offensive. No reason to start off on the wrong foot. Similarly although I have hunting clothes never put them on the boat. In some countries wearing camouflage is illegal and they will arrest you. Also never worn any T-shirts with messaging on it. Again what is commonly viewed as benign at home may be deemed as offensive elsewhere. Learned this watching how people where treated at customs and immigration. Wear a clean, collared unadorned shirt, take off your hat and sunglasses and save a lot of hassle.

Quote: Hippocampus: Excellent post B. Will note it’s quite important to follow proper etiquette when traveling internationally. Local law enforcement and vendors do note what you’re flying and occasionally comment on it. End Quote.

Yup. They notice. We were threatened with arrest from a state LEO at a Washington state campsite if we didn't immediately take down our Canadian flag.

Quote: Hippocampus: Excellent post B. Will note it’s quite important to follow proper etiquette when traveling internationally. Local law enforcement and vendors do note what you’re flying and occasionally comment on it. End Quote.

Yup. They notice. We were threatened with arrest from a state LEO at a Washington state campsite if we didn't immediately take down our Canadian flag.

Yep, some of those junior cops haven’t gotten over the pig war of San Juan Island.

Well that's what you get when you choose -- of all people on earth -- the Kaiser of Germany to referee that one.

Yes, but some of the histories I've read say that the Brits thought the choice of the Kaiser as mediator gave them an advantage, what with the House of Hanover/Saxe-Coburg Gotha on the throne at the time, pre-Windsor and all that. Whether Wilhelm tossed it to a committee or not, always seemed to me the British miscalculated in agreeing to him. And then we had that negotiator who spoke German and knew how to handle his schnitzel.

I fly a courtesy flag while boating in Canada. It’s just that - a courtesy, and acknowledgement that Canada is allowing us to enter and enjoy their waters.

My US flag flies from its proper place, aft off the boat deck. The smaller Canadian flag flies from its proper place on the right hand antenna.

I fly a club burgee from the burgee staff.

Why is this even an issue??

I fly a courtesy flag while boating in Canada. It’s just that - a courtesy, and acknowledgement that Canada is allowing us to enter and enjoy their waters.

My US flag flies from its proper place, aft off the boat deck. The smaller Canadian flag flies from its proper place on the right hand antenna.

I fly a club burgee from the burgee staff.

Why is this even an issue??

Spinner, As I understand the situations, you are correct.

I fly a smaller US Flag from the center of my RADAR arch while underway. The Navy, when getting underway, would say, "Shift the colors." The meant, remove the flag from the stern and hoist a smaller flag into the rigging.
I fly the courtesy flag to the right.
As I remember.... the left side is reserved for Q flag, and minor requests such as, requesting a tender.

My aft staff is wood and one day I expect it to break do to the wind etc.
It would be nice to find a stainless staff.

Last edited:
Decent source for flag info for USA vessels (already an error or so posted in my opinion).

https://www.usps.org/f_stuff/etiquett.html

If your vessel is mastless, it should wear this "courtesy flag" at the bow, in lieu of a squadron or club burgee, or on a starboard antenna strong enough to support it. It your vessel has one or more masts, display it single-hoisted at the outboard signal halyard of the main starboard spreader. Move any flag normally flown there to the inboard starboard halyard or, if your boat has only one halyard per side, to the port spreader halyard.

Last edited:
A little stray from the post...

A bar in Corpus Christi had a very high ceiling. Hanging from the ceiling was the hurricane flag from the Port Aransas Coast Gaurd station. Big, 8-10' squares of heavy canvas.

Won't go into how it got there, but the hurricane it had flown in last had shredded it into an absolute work of art.

I tried to buy it several times, then they went under and threw it away.

I have a 48 star flag off a navy cruiser mounted in glass, in our home. About the size of a sheet of plywood. Very worn, faded, and thread bare. Beautiful.

Never bothered with flags, burgees etc
Way to much effort and drama

I do courtesy and quarantine flags when we travelled overseas, but small, usually made from spinnaker cloth

Last edited:
Never bothered with flags, burgees etc
Way to much effort and drama

I do courtesy and quarantine flags when we travelled overseas, but small, usually made from spinnaker cloth

We do the legally required, nothing more, nothing less.

I noticed the total lack of American flags in Canadian waters last summer! Stealth cruising. I had to laugh as one (Seattle) boat in Squirrel Cove had pulled his dinghy up on the transom to hide the port and name, no flag on the staff, yet they flew a Canadian courtesy flag! When we went by to moon them (not really) their dinghy had its registration and port clearly visible. The RCMP got them.

Obviously unclear on the Alaska thing. They had to pull their tender and kayaks up before they could be kicked out. Presumably the fine was as large as a tank of fuel...

Back
Top Bottom