Old 06-18-2016, 07:30 AM   #141
Guru

City: Doha
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
...in some countries...they are more particular than others......and in some countries if their courtesy flag doesn't look as good as your ensign...it has been said they will fine you.
Some countries require that their flag be larger than your own country flag.

makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #142

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
[QUOTE=psneeld;450136]Etiquette can also be for people in circles where hard earned respect follows those lines of customs, courtesies and etiquette....not necessarily for "stuck up" people.

TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:00 PM   #143
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Some countries require that their flag be larger than your own country flag.
Who?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #144
Veteran Member

City: BC
I must confess that I never have paid any attention to any flags of the many boats I see.
Well except some that are funny.
So this is interesting how its a part of the super important items to so many.
I have anchored in places in 4 countries for many many many hundreds of days. Not a single person has ever commented on my complete lack of any flags. The Mexican authorities have stopped by many times, they ask how long i plan to stay, and see passports for all onboard is about all.
Usually a 1 to 2 minute chat, they have always been extremely polite, and leave.
I used to read of horror stories in Mexico and forced to offer bribes etc.
I have probably spent 800 to 900 days in Mexico and not once felt in danger or asked for a bribe or hassled.
They have never asked me why no Canadian flag, or Mexican flag or anything either.
As i putter up and down the west coast of the USA no ones ever asked me either, or when up in Alaska.
Rented a boat in cuba and puttered around there for 13 days on it.
I don't remember it having a flag if it did it must have been small.
Nobody said a peep to me about it.
I guess I have just got off lucky so far...or they don't care as much if the boats small enough.
Around Vancouver Island I am going to start looking at boats closer and see what if any flags they are flying.
Not that I would know what country most of them are from anyways.
Hurrying Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:53 PM   #145
Guru

City: Doha
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Who?
Indonesia for sure. I heard stories about that but didn't believe them until I met a sailor who was "encouraged" to buy a larger flag by officials when he was clearing formalities.

Perhaps not a bad idea when in remote areas. Locals might more likely think your vessel a local boat instead of a rich, visiting "yachtsman" from the USA.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:37 AM   #146
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Indonesia for sure. I heard stories about that but didn't believe them until I met a sailor who was "encouraged" to buy a larger flag by officials when he was clearing formalities.

Perhaps not a bad idea when in remote areas. Locals might more likely think your vessel a local boat instead of a rich, visiting "yachtsman" from the USA.
Bet he was encouraged to buy a very expensive larger flag right there. I can hear it now. You need a larger flag. I can get you one for $300. Wouldn't want you to not be in compliance.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:16 AM   #147
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Bet he was encouraged to buy a very expensive larger flag right there. I can hear it now. You need a larger flag. I can get you one for $300. Wouldn't want you to not be in compliance.
Bingo...we have a winner.

According to the port authority there if you email them, no flag is required by law.
But if rich i guess buy lots of flags and hang them all over.
I don't seem to find laws requiring any flags in any country.
If someone has those laws for any country or countries please post the link so I can prepurchase a flag for required places.
Thanks.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:33 AM   #148
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrying Nowhere View Post
Bingo...we have a winner.

According to the port authority there if you email them, no flag is required by law.
But if rich i guess buy lots of flags and hang them all over.
I don't seem to find laws requiring any flags in any country.
If someone has those laws for any country or countries please post the link so I can prepurchase a flag for required places.
Thanks.
Law does not always make right or might. When you're away from home and your comfort zone, if some scary person with some level of authority says "do it", then you do it. I don't protest too loudly to one who can cause me serious problems.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:59 AM   #149

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Flag etiquette

http://www.noonsite.com/Members/webmaster/R2002-06-10-4

Although not all countries insist on it, in theory the Q flag should be flown as soon as the yacht has entered territorial waters to signal the intention of requesting pratique. This should be done when entering the 12 mile limit. In this way, one cannot be accused of trying to slip in unnoticed and in fact in some countries yachts have got into trouble for not hoisting the Q flag until they were in port. Also to avoid any misunderstandings, it is advisable to try to contact the authorities on VHF radio, especially in those countries which do not readily welcome yachts.

The courtesy flag should also be flown once the boat enters a nation's territorial waters. The flag should be flown from the starboard spreader in a position above any other flag. The courtesy flag should be in a good state and of reasonable size as some officials take offence at yachts that fly a torn or tiny flag. In some dependencies or autonomous regions, such as the Canaries , Azores , French Polynesia , or Corsica, it is appreciated if the regional flag is flown together, but below, that of the metropolitan power. Burgees, house flags and courtesy flags as well as ensigns should be lowered at sunset or 2100, whichever is earlier, and hoisted at 0800 in summer and 0900 in winter. It is particularly important to observe this in Scandinavian countries, where people are extremely flag conscious. The courtesy flags of the countries listed in this book are illustrated on the end papers.

The ship should be dressed overall on national days in countries visited. Ships should only be dressed when at anchor or in harbour. Although not essential, and many people are not even aware of it, there is a correct order in which to fly the code signals if the yacht is dressed from bow to stern. This order has been designed to give an interesting variety of both colour and shapes. The correct order, starting from the bow, is:

E Q p3 G p8 Z p4 W p6 P p1 1 CODE T Y B X 1st H 3rd D F 2nd U A O M R p2 J p0 N p9 K p7 V p5 L C S. If the vessel is two masted, the line between the two masts starts with Y and ends with O.
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:26 AM   #150
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
From the USPS flags and etiquette......

The customs observed in various foreign waters differ from one another. Try to learn the correct procedure for the country you are entering. For example, is some countries it is customary to fly the courtesy flag only after the*quarantine flag*(the yellow 'Q' flag) and the vessel has been granted*pratique*by the appropriate authorities.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:59 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Sure its a good idea to fly the Q aka quarantine flag.
But other flags to me it would be more confusing to see boats with all these flags.
I don't care where people are from if they are cool and polite.
Its the douche bags that are a problem.
Maybe make it standard all waters law to fly rhe douche flag if the boats owners are.
Or a stuck up snob flag for those who are wayyyyyy too hung up on stuff or not fun....just generally way too stuffy.
Around here i started looking.
For every boat with a flag there is about 30 without them.
But Canadians tend to be more relaxed on what are not needed things.
There are so so so many laws already in this world, additional rules that don't actually help people or bring extra good to the world overall , why add them on top of the crazy amount of laws we already have.

When i do put the Q out its on a stick and i just drop it into a fishing rod holder as I don't have an actual special flag holder on my boats.
If any of you are around Tofino, Ucluelet, Renfrew,Nootka, Hot springscove areas.....look at the boats here.
About 95 to 99 % don't have a flag at all.
In hot springs cove where my buddy was anchored the past 3 days I asked him to look around and tell me who has flags.
He counted 31 boats anchored with people hanging out on them, and 1 had a flag. He never flies a flag he said on his 76' Viking he has had cor a few years...and in 30 years and 14 different boats he has had not once has anyone asked him why no flag from Alaska to BC down the coast to Mexico and months in Mexico each year.
Well one local guy does regularly flies his Donald Duck in a sailors outfit flag, but he is the only one.
Now that is a fun flag.