Flag Etiquette/Rules

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure its a good idea to fly the Q aka quarantine flag.
But other flags to me it would be more confusing to see boats with all these flags.
I don't care where people are from if they are cool and polite.
Its the douche bags that are a problem.
Maybe make it standard all waters law to fly rhe douche flag if the boats owners are.
Or a stuck up snob flag for those who are wayyyyyy too hung up on stuff or not fun....just generally way too stuffy.
Around here i started looking.
For every boat with a flag there is about 30 without them.
But Canadians tend to be more relaxed on what are not needed things.
There are so so so many laws already in this world, additional rules that don't actually help people or bring extra good to the world overall , why add them on top of the crazy amount of laws we already have.

When i do put the Q out its on a stick and i just drop it into a fishing rod holder as I don't have an actual special flag holder on my boats.
If any of you are around Tofino, Ucluelet, Renfrew,Nootka, Hot springscove areas.....look at the boats here.
About 95 to 99 % don't have a flag at all.
In hot springs cove where my buddy was anchored the past 3 days I asked him to look around and tell me who has flags.
He counted 31 boats anchored with people hanging out on them, and 1 had a flag. He never flies a flag he said on his 76' Viking he has had cor a few years...and in 30 years and 14 different boats he has had not once has anyone asked him why no flag from Alaska to BC down the coast to Mexico and months in Mexico each year.
Well one local guy does regularly flies his Donald Duck in a sailors outfit flag, but he is the only one.
Now that is a fun flag.

I still find it next to impossible to properly dispose of a tattered US Flag.
It is/was supposed to be burned. These days, if one lights the US flag on fire, one might get beat up or worse.

It is/was supposed to be burned. These days, if one lights the US flag on fire, one might get beat up or worse.

Our local VFW post takes them and disposes of them properly, as do all of the veterans organizations I believe.

Our VFW has repurposed a large post office mail box and painted it red white and blue, so you just drive up and pop it in

Our local VFW post takes them and disposes of them properly, as do all of the veterans organizations I believe.

Our VFW has repurposed a large post office mail box and painted it red white and blue, so you just drive up and pop it in

Thanks, I'll look into it. Never thought of veterans' organizations.

The VFW in Cape May Court House, NJ had a flag "mailbox" too a few years back,still might.

Boy Scout troops sometimes take them.

First thing that popped up on google for "flag disposal in Broward County, Fl. Took 10 seconds...

"Retire old U.S. flags at Broward County disposal boxes

• Governmental Center East, 114 S. ...
  • Government Center West, 1 North University Drive, Plantation.
  • Broward County Library: Beach Branch, 3250 NE Second St., Pompano Beach.
  • Galt Ocean Mile Reading Center, 3404 Galt Ocean Drive, Fort Lauderdale.
  • City of Deerfield Beach, BSO Substation, 300 NE Second St., Deerfield Beach."
From a 2017 article...but a possibility

"The Town of Miami Lakes MDPD officers were honored to participate in the Flag Retirement Ceremony. The worn flags were retired with dignity and respect with the assistance of the Town of Miami Lakes Veterans Committee and The Boy Scouts of America."

Last edited:
Have been religious about US on stern. (Roll it up at night as PIA to remove). Q immediately upon entering next country’s waters. Curtesy on starboard as soon as practique granted. In French islands French on top with country right under. Both of equal size. On port OCC’s flying fish burgee with SDR under. No smart ass ones ever. Curtesy removed when leaving on the last day. Will only dress ship on July 4th and only if in US waters not PR or USVI.

Having spent 6 years in the US Navy, running various types of patrol craft all over the world I can attest to the fact that this veteran can never hear our beloved anthem without having tears come to my eyes in remembrance of those that have defended it. And as a side note, every PBR I crewed on in Vietnam had the ensign flown from midship just aft of the coxswain's helm. I fly my ensign from my radar mast just because it's the highest point on my boat and I don't want it missed by anyone that I am an American patriot.

Our local ACE hardware has a box for disposal.

The only time I felt "offended" by how some other boater was flying their various flags was one summer in the Broughtons (Canada). I did not say anything to them, as I did not want to chance a "bad exchange". It was a US flagged boat with a Norwegian sounding name. They flew the flag of Norway above the Canadian flag on their starboard spreader. Not only was the Norwegian flag flown above the Canadian courtesy flag, but it was twice the size. I have no problem with them being proud of their heritage, just that they were visiting a foreign country, had at least some knowledge of flag protocol, and were (actually) disrespectful to that foreign country (probably by accident, I hope). I do not get upset at all when visiting boats don't fly a courtesy flag, or even their own flags. In this case it would have been fine (IMO) to fly a Norwegian flag below the Canadian courtesy flag (if it was the same size or smaller).

Stick to the basics, National flag, Q flag, courtesy flag if you don't know the protocols. Whatever flags you do fly, ensure they are in "good" condition. Otherwise, at least ensure that you are not being disrespectful. Other than that, I try not to "judge" anyone by their flags.

I try to mostly follow flag protocols, but not all of them.:) Sometimes I don't take the flags down at night, sometimes more than one on the one spreader halyard I have, etc., but I replace damaged flags or don't fly them until I do, and I always try to fly the US courtesy flag (in a place of respect) when in US waters (after clearing).

So I don't have a halyard or other high up wire. I won't mount a flag to an antenna. So Stars and Strips on the stern, Canadian courtesy flag on the bow. I have seen this arrangement many times. I have also seen it reversed in Canada. Maple Leaf on the stern, stars and stripes on the bow.

My normal layout is US flag on the stern flagpole, Hour Glass pennant (house flag) on the bow. Going to Canada, it seems like the correct thing to do would be to take down the Hour Glass pennant in favor of a courtesy flag. Although I wonder about the opinions on just putting up a second flag on the bow...

Last edited:
So I don't have a halyard or other high up wire. I won't mount a flag to an antenna. So Stars and Strips on the stern, Canadian courtesy flag on the bow. I have seen this arrangement many times. I have also seen it reversed in Canada. Maple Leaf on the stern, stars and stripes on the bow.
Sounds correct to me Tom. Stars and Stripes on the stern and Canadian courtesy flag on the bow for a US boat visiting Canada.:whistling:

I have to say flying courtesy flags in foreign ports or waters (that means non-US for me) has always vaguely bugged me. I don't want to veer this thread back into politics, but I'm a U.S. boat and a U.S. citizen, why would I fly some other nation's flag, have another country's flag fluttering on my boat? Yes I know, the intent is to show that I've processed in, I'm there with the host country's permission or blessing. I get the intent. And I understand a yellow Q flag, that makes practical sense to me, but then I don't know why we can't have a similar system for a generic processed-in flag. How about plain green? Not sure it makes much sense that it has to be nation-specific -- heck, I can buy and fly a courtesy flag from any country on earth, that's no positive indicator I've surrendered my vegetables to the customs officer in X port anyway. I don't change or add another license plate to my car when I've crossed a state line, or when I drive past the Peace Arch in BC on my way to White Rock.

I may be an ardent traditionalist too, I get that maritime stuff is weird and tradition-laden in lots of ways, but if I sailed into say Bremerhaven in 1935, did American boats fly a swastika courtesy flag? (I know, I'm picking the most extreme example, the Nazi thing, but I can think of a number of nations whose flag I would never want to fly now for any reason-- but then this is probably academic since I'd never sail into say Wonsan, North Korea. And this rant sure isn't going to change the current global habit on courtesy flags either, I know.)

Flying some other country's courtesy flags have always felt to me like a scene out of Master and Commander when they'd play deception games and war tactics by flying false flags. I've certainly gone along with the custom or rule or law -- we fly a Maple Leaf when we motor into Bedwell Harbour, but I feel like Jack Aubrey hiding a cannon in the galley sink, getting ready to fire out the porthole. Aim for the white lattice gazebo at Butchart Gardens boys!! I may have been born in New Haven but I'm flying the Maple Leaf, quick, somebody get me a hockey puck!

I would imagine if you want to "blame" anyone for all these maritime flag/ensign rules a good place to point the first finger would probably be the British Admiralty/Royal Navy! :)

If you fly your countries flag the proper place (place of highest honor)...big deal about flying a courtesy flag.

Maybe compare it to wearing a wedding band...on the right finger people understand and every other finger can have whatever it want.

I don't think most know what the proper places of gradated honor are on a boat...heck many towns fly the US flag on the wrong spot of the flag pole.

I would imagine if you want to "blame" anyone for all these maritime flag/ensign rules a good place to point the first finger would probably be the British Admiralty/Royal Navy! :)
Probably very true!:thumb:
Scott, I agree. I usually don't get too worked up about the "protocol" stuff, even though I try to follow it as best I can and to a point.
However, IMHO (and in this case I do mean humble), it is better to not fly a foreign courtesy flag than it is to fly it totally incorrectly as per the example of the one person I talked about in an earlier post.
For example, I think most people would know that it is inappropriate to fly a Canadian flag on a higher flag pole than the US flag if the 2 flags are being flown in the front yard of a house in the US (regardless of who owns the house), especially if the Canadian flag is larger. Best if not sure, don't do it. :nonono:
That example gives a general idea, and we all know that with the maritime "rules" it is more complicated. :whistling:

Didn't we whip the British navy's ass? Guess we can do what we wish, within reason.
:D

Last edited:
It’s etiquette, not law. Fly flags or don’t fly flags. Be couth or be uncouth. It’s up to you.

Since you have no Yacht club affiliation you are following the correct etiquette. If you were a member of a Royal Yacht Club or an IOYC member club then you would be required to move your courtesy flag to a starboard location.

Last edited:
Speaking of flags, below is a flag we used to fly from my charter boat on the way back in. One for each lobster. Use to drive the chest thumping sportfish charter boat captains nuts when we had a dozen flags flying. When you fly a tuna, marlin, or other fish flag upside down, it indicates you released the fish. You may notice my flags don't have that feature. :whistling:

20201214_194710.jpg

Ted

I like to donate my flag cantons to this group, Stars for our Troops. Check it out...

Donate

John Paul Jones?

This guy? :D

"Jones was born and grew up in Scotland, became a sailor, and served as commander of several British merchant ships. After having killed one of his crew members with a sword, he fled to the Colony of Virginia and around 1775 joined the newly founded Continental Navy in their fight against the Kingdom of Great Britain in the American Revolutionary War. He commanded U.S. Navy ships stationed in France and led one single assault on Britain, which resulted in a failure, and few on British merchant ships. Left without a command in 1787, he joined the Imperial Russian Navy and obtained the rank of rear admiral."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jones

Wasn't he pickled in rum for his trip back? Oh no, that was Lord Nelson. See what I mean about maritime weirdness?

What do you know, John Paul Jones was pickled too. By the French. In alcohol, then sealed in lead, then they lost his body for about 100 years.

Wait a minute, and Captain Cook was roasted or baked by the Hawaiians so they could take him apart and keep the bones as relics or souvenirs, although they did give some pieces of him back to his crew for burial at sea.

Sounds like the courtesy flag thing is the least of the craziness.

Back
Top Bottom