Flag etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No. But Al, why two U.S. flags?

Isn't one sufficient?

232323232%7Ffp54366%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3956474448336nu0mrj

One is, but when my daughter gave me the large flag, I thought I'd display it proudly. Still thought the stern flagstaff was the most proper place for the US flag, so I kept it there. What can I say...I'm proud to be an American!!

AS a Florida boat we fly the US Ensign on the stern and use a black flag at the stbd hoist.

Since FL has the your home is your castle law , the black flag gives fair warning.

NO QUARTER

AS a Florida boat we fly the US Ensign on the stern and use a black flag at the stbd hoist.

Since FL has the your home is your castle law , the black flag gives fair warning.

NO QUARTER

Is it a plain black flag?

How about this arrangement? KJ

Attachments

• FLAG.jpg
    FLAG.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 114
img_159270_0_c3bbc07168d8263919bd3d7ca3efbb6a.jpg

How about this arrangement?

Correct , and if the situation were reversed , a US vessel in CN waters the CN flag at the stbd spreader would be required.

Note the US jack flag "DON'T TREAD ON ME" is being incorporated into the Naval Academy's football uniform for this weeks game against Army.

I can recall entering a lock on the Erie Canal flying the Union Jack on our bow staff. After we exited the lock the First Mate told me a small boat ahead of us took offence to this and stated that the Unoin Jack is only to be flown on commissioned US Navy ships. This is true but it doesn't preclude the use of the Union Jack by other vessels if flown properly.

I can recall entering a lock on the Erie Canal flying the Union Jack on our bow staff. After we exited the lock the First Mate told me a small boat ahead of us took offence to this and stated that the Unoin Jack is only to be flown on commissioned US Navy ships. This is true but it doesn't preclude the use of the Union Jack by other vessels if flown properly.

????? The Union Jack is to be flown by UK Registered vessels or UK warships and has nothing to do with the US Navy or the Erie Canal.

Last edited:
Most former British Colonies of which the U.S is one, incorporate a National flag with a canton in the top left corner. In our case (U.S.) that one is the blue portion of our national flag with the 50 stars which in turn represent the 50 states of the "union". on the British Flag it represents the flags of the countries of Great Britian. For many years the U.S. Navy used that canton as their "Jack" flag. After 9/11 they approved using an older version with background stars and the "Don't tread on me" as the Naval Jack Flag. It is common to refer to the top left hand corner of a National flag of these former British Colonies as the union jack. It can be flown appropriately by other U.S. vessels. It flew daily on the steamboats that I used to work on from their forward mast.

it is also common American parlance to "axe" a question .... that does not make it correct. There is only one Union Jack.

Most former British Colonies of which the U.S is one, incorporate a National flag with a canton in the top left corner. In our case (U.S.) that one is the blue portion of our national flag with the 50 stars which in turn represent the 50 states of the "union". on the British Flag it represents the flags of the countries of Great Britian. For many years the U.S. Navy used that canton as their "Jack" flag. After 9/11 they approved using an older version with background stars and the "Don't tread on me" as the Naval Jack Flag. It is common to refer to the top left hand corner of a National flag of these former British Colonies as the union jack. It can be flown appropriately by other U.S. vessels. It flew daily on the steamboats that I used to work on from their forward mast.

You lost the war of 1812 but still admit you are a British colony.
Good on yer mate ! :flowers:

Yes, we are a "former" British Colony.

Please "google" the first U.S. Flag which we refer to as our "Grand Union Flag". The British do not have a patent on the word "union" nor "jack". Admiral Perry and Andrew Jackson would probably disagree as to the outcome of the war of 1812. Once again the top left hand corner of a flag is considered the canton or "jack".

I'm as much an Anglophile-American as anybody can be, we even used a stylized version of the Royal Navy insignia as a logo for the boat and on the transom, and because my wife and I both work in the courts we have a plaque from the HMS Arbiter on the boat -- but all that aside, I'd still find it kind of odd to fly another nation's flag from my boat in US waters -- unless we're doing something fun or goofy at the marina, like flying it for kicks on the Queen's birthday (real or celebrated). I have an Alaska flag to fly on Alaska or Seward's Day, only because I'm a former Alaskan, but that kind of celebratory or commemorative gesture is not the kind of thing I'd do underway.

So if Scotland had voted for independence and they had had to revise the Union Jack to take out the saltire, what version would you fly on your boat then as a former colonist?

I fly the "Lion Rampant"..... always have. Typical Scot stuborness. We (I) never admit to having been an English colony. Long live Sean Connery :)

Last edited:
Ah, so a preference for revisionist history is revealed. Yes, long live Sean Connery :thumb:

All in good fun ... they never burnt down our White House but they did turn our crofts into rubble.

The sun never sets on the British Empire ........... cause ' God doesn't trust the English buggers in the dark. :whistling:

Warning, thread drift, I am currently reading Churchill: A Life. I think Winston might have shared your views boatpoker on trusting some of his countrymen.

I fly the "Lion Rampant"..... always have.

I think the design of the current Canadian flag sucks. Yes, I know all about the wind tunnel tests to make sure the design would be recognizable even flapping violently in the wind. But it's one of the world's most unimaginitive designs.

So... when we go into BC to cruise the Gulf Islands or whatever, we fly two courtesy flags. We fly the Maple Leaf flag because, lousy design sense or not, it IS Canada's flag so we need to respect that. But underneath it on the same flag halyard we fly the Red Ensign, the original Canadian flag.

And it's surprising when we're in a BC harbor like Nanaimo or Comox how many dock walkers notice the Red Ensign and make some comment like, "Now THAT's the proper flag."

As for the US flag---I saw this on a TV documentary awhile back--- all the elements of our flag are in the Washington family's coat of arms back in England. So when George realized they needed a flag to wave around so people would know which side they were on, and to have for the painters of the day to included in all their paintings of the war, I can imagine the scene.

George: Hey, we need a flag. Do something with red and white stripes and then put some white stars on a blue background. Here, use this as a guide. He hands the flag-maker person a copy of his family's coat of arms.

Flag-maker person: So do you want the red and white stripes vertical like on here?

George: No, that looks dorky. I never liked that, and I told my dad that when he had the thing designed. Besides, then our flag will look like the Union Pacific Railroad logo.

Flag-maker person: "What's a railroad?"

George: I don't know. Something some nut-case engineer back home keeps yammering on about. Anyway, put the red and white stripes sideways.

Flag-maker person: How many sripes do you want?

George: Christ, I don't know. Turns to one of his officers. Where'd we get all our soldiers?

Officer: From the colonies, sir.

George: Colonies? I thought this was all just one colony.

Officer: Well, the British think so, sir.

George: So how many colonies are there?

Officer: Thirteen, sir.

George: Thirteen? Geez, who came up with that number? He turns to the flag maker person. Well, there you go. Thirteen stripes. Seven red, six white or six white, seven red. I don't care, you're the creative one here.

Flag-maker person: What about the stars? How many do you want of them?

George: Well, let's keep it simple. Thirteen stars, too.

Flag maker person: Any particular arrangement?

George (exasperated): Look, I'm not going to do your job for you. Just use your best judgement.

And there you have it. The US flag. Based on a British coat of arms.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom