FL to Bahamas to T&C to USVI: Stabilizers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
3. Alternatively, if I just can't afford a boat with stabilizers, I should be looking at a sailboat, which will make for a more comfortable passage and would be lower cost.

Folks that usually look at motor boats do not enjoy the down inside living of most sail boats.

Most marine motorists want to be up up on deck with huge windows .

This of course is why there are few ocean going motor boats , and their cost of construction is far higher , and the inside is smaller due to tankage and other requirements.

Even circumnavigators spend 90%+ of their time in port.

When I cruised the Carib , I knew of no one that ran back and forth , usually ONE a 1500 mile slog to windward (power or sail) was enough.

In your shoes for an inexpensive try out of cruising , I would start with a good sail boat 30-35LWL , and try the easy way south .

Sail to Bermuda, turn right and head south.

Sail the Windwardstoo and fro (usually a beam reach) till you have seen it all and then blow downwind from the USVI to the USA , stopping as you see a need to sight see.

Have fun!

Find a boat that is just back from cruising , and your fix up costs will be low , and no new equippment will be needed.

Fairly easy under $25K.

Last edited:
Cardude01, I would definitely go with the sail rig. It gives you so many extra benefits. The only negative is the bridge clearance issue and if that is much a concern for you. Wish it was an option on our boat. :)

Thanks for everyone's feedback. To me, I'm taking away the following:

1. I'm going to need stabilizers to be comfortable. I could make the occasional trip without them, but if this is going to be a full-time thing, life would be pretty bad without them.
2. I should make every attempt to get a boat with stabilizers already installed. It would (hopefully) be cheaper than retrofitting them on an older boat.
3. Alternatively, if I just can't afford a boat with stabilizers, I should be looking at a sailboat, which will make for a more comfortable passage and would be lower cost.

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Would especially love to hear more about the sailboat option - particularly monohull vs. catamaran in terms of making up for the comfort lost compared to a trawler.

I am coming from being a sailboat owner and moving to a trawler. I also looked at the GB46 and Defever 49 models as well as the Hatteras 48 LRC. After much reading and discussion I came to the conclusion I wanted stabilizers for my trawler given that the Pacific Coast is my local cruising ground. Retrofitting the stabilizers is very expensive, a bit less so if you have the skills and time to do your own installation (I don't.) So I came to the conclusion I would look for trawlers that have stabilizers already installed. Although they are harder to find, the price difference doesn't seem close to the cost of installation.

As for living space - one of the reasons I picked a trawler vs a sailboat for my next vessel was the much improved living space. Being able to sit in a salon and look out 270 degrees is wonderful. On my sailboat I have to stand up to see anything. Other reasons included inside steering (the Pacific Coast of Northern California is rarely a warm place!).

I can't yet tell you if I'm happy with my decision since I'm about a week away from taking possession of a Krogen 54 (stabilized). After a 1300 mile trip from Ketchikan, AK to San Francisco, CA, I'll report back!

Richard

All right! Going to the Bahamas and Caribbean on a Sail Catamaran with a $250,000 budget! Now you are talkin'! Shallow draft, lots of great space on deck/net to enjoy, great views from main salon, great water access from transoms, fuel efficient, sails great, won't roll at anchor, not teak on deck to mess with! I highly recommend these boats! I have captained many charters in the BVI aboard 45-50ft sailboats. The most popular boats with my guests were the 45-47 ft. Robertson and Caine catamarans. Except die hard monohull sailors these boats were so much fun to live on and play on. So easy to handle, acres of deck space to lounge, a back porch under cover for dining, easy acces to the water from the stepped down transoms, well ventilated sleeping areas, easy to keep clean and service because of design. If I get tired of coastal cruising and want to go back to the Caribbean this is my choice. Charter one in the BVI with some friends and see what I mean....

FL to Bahamas to T&C to USVI: Stabilizers?

Cardude01, I would definitely go with the sail rig. It gives you so many extra benefits. The only negative is the bridge clearance issue and if that is much a concern for you. Wish it was an option on our boat. :)

Question on the bridge clearance: is there a magic number one should limit mast height to? For instance I think the lowest fixed bridge on the Okeechobee is 49'.

Wonder what a smaller/shorter get home/steady sail rig would cost? Similar to the cost of a paravane installation maybe?

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but just trying to think about different ways to stabilize. Not that I'm going to actually do anything...

Last edited:
Cardude, you might want to talk to the Island Packet company engineers about the idea of a rig for your boat. Chances are that the idea was considered when the design for your boat was done. Personally I would not fool with it unless going to the Bahamas frequently or to the Caribbean. Chain plates will have to be fitted. Selection of mast step placement will be an issue. I would try to find a rig from a sailboat that has been totaled by an ins. co. and cut it down to a nice steadying rig size. YMMV

I am not sure but I think Island Packet made that boat in two options. One with the sail and one without. You would need to check with them and see if all the structural provisions are already built into the boat. I expect they are but don't know for sure.

Cardude, you might want to talk to the Island Packet company engineers about the idea of a rig for your boat. Chances are that the idea was considered when the design for your boat was done. Personally I would not fool with it unless going to the Bahamas frequently or to the Caribbean. Chain plates will have to be fitted. Selection of mast step placement will be an issue. I would try to find a rig from a sailboat that has been totaled by an ins. co. and cut it down to a nice steadying rig size. YMMV

Yeah, I'm not doing anything until I get more time on the boat. I'm just fiddling around with different options.

This boat's cousin, the SP, is a motorsailer. My PY could be fitted with the same sailing rig, but at a pretty considerable cost. They would install factory chain plates, winches and everything else, effectively turning my boat into a factory SP motorsailer.

If it looks like we really will be cruising the Caribbean maybe I will consider that. Even with the factory sail refit I will be in this boat quite a bit less than other SP Cruisers out there for sale so it might make sense.

"Question on the bridge clearance: is there a magic number one should limit mast height to? For instance I think the lowest fixed bridge on the Okeechobee is 49'."

Most folks on the East coast find the many 55ft bridges to be the limiting factor.

the 48ft RR bridge for the Lake O entrance can be solved 2 ways. There is a tipping service that will weight the mast to bring you down , or simply sail to Key west and head up the Gulf coast.

New bridges are now 65ft , but the old ones will still be there decades from now.

I am coming from being a sailboat owner and moving to a trawler. I also looked at the GB46 and Defever 49 models as well as the Hatteras 48 LRC. After much reading and discussion I came to the conclusion I wanted stabilizers for my trawler given that the Pacific Coast is my local cruising ground. Retrofitting the stabilizers is very expensive, a bit less so if you have the skills and time to do your own installation (I don't.) So I came to the conclusion I would look for trawlers that have stabilizers already installed. Although they are harder to find, the price difference doesn't seem close to the cost of installation.

As for living space - one of the reasons I picked a trawler vs a sailboat for my next vessel was the much improved living space. Being able to sit in a salon and look out 270 degrees is wonderful. On my sailboat I have to stand up to see anything. Other reasons included inside steering (the Pacific Coast of Northern California is rarely a warm place!).

I can't yet tell you if I'm happy with my decision since I'm about a week away from taking possession of a Krogen 54 (stabilized). After a 1300 mile trip from Ketchikan, AK to San Francisco, CA, I'll report back!

Richard

:thumb::thumb:

Have a great trip and keep us up to date

Stabilizers rock not just on the outside bit other areas as well. I have used them on the ICW when a large sport fisher is bearing down or on the MS River with tugs and tows.

Our Naiads are great I know they are not cheap but are a good investment in your comfort.

We just returned Sunday from a 7 day cruise in the new Regal Princess. We hit Princess Cay (aleutian islands), St Thomas and St. Maarten. Both of the latter had a large population anchored/ moored in the bay's where the cruise ships dock. Almost all were sailboats. And a huge portion of these were Cat hull. I saw one uKrogen at anchor. I was really surprised at the lack of trawlers down there. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1424827010.720883.jpg

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not surprising if you think of it in terms of cost to get there. It's just cheaper to get there in a sailboat. And in some ways more comfortable too.

If you don't mind living on an angle in many cases. :D

I have to say this is truly a great thread, awesome input from many knowledgeable people, nice diversion from the brutal cold outside, thank you!

We just returned Sunday from a 7 day cruise in the new Regal Princess. We hit Princess Cay (aleutian islands), St Thomas and St. Maarten. Both of the latter had a large population anchored/ moored in the bay's where the cruise ships dock. Almost all were sailboats. And a huge portion of these were Cat hull. I saw one uKrogen at anchor. I was really surprised at the lack of trawlers down there.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

When we got to the Azores, at both Lajes and Horta, they remembered the last power boat from the US, the Kadey Krogen 44 Le Reve.

People have been long distance sailing for thousands of years.

Us trawler folks are new to the game.

Back
Top Bottom