Vessel Name: Painters Cove
Vessel Model: 1997 Bayliner 5788
Fixer -upper anybody?

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Ja...593/story.html

weebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Guru

RE: Fixer -upper anybody?

wonder if you couldn't just fire it up and drive it in?

twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

*"Attempts to hail the ship brought no response and Olsson told The Sun 'we know nobodys in danger.'

What a shock it would be if someone on the boat responded.

Isn't the owner respnsible for the boat's disposal?
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Have to wonder...

What is the international/national rule of the sea for ownership in this case regarding the first to take control/tow of this multi thousand mile abandoned ship?* Too far off U.S. coast to claim ownership, if she is actually worth it?

Radioactivity potential from Japan nuclear meltdown?* Why did someone/company not regain control of vessel back when... were they just too busy, passed away?* Scrap junk to begin with, so they just let-her-go!!??* Looks a bit rusty for a year at drift.* Bilge pumps have electric power or auto activated pump motors?* Looks pretty buoyant... no leaks, not too many rain storms, no big seas encountered?* She is a strange puppy!*

Board that baby and fire her UP!!* I would try it... if it were legal to do so and just off the SF CA coast.* Would have Geiger counter with me too!* I know just the two old-salts with a good sized tug who would love to come with me.* What a blast wed have!

I hope somebody gets rights to her and turns a good dollar!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #5
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

Quote:
Art wrote:
Have to wonder...

What is the international/national rule of the sea for ownership in this case regarding the first to take control/tow of this multi thousand mile abandoned ship?* Too far off U.S. coast to claim ownership, if she is actually worth it?

Radioactivity potential from Japan nuclear meltdown?* Why did someone/company not regain control of vessel back when... were they just too busy, passed away?* Scrap junk to begin with, so they just let-her-go!!??* Looks a bit rusty for a year at drift.* Bilge pumps have electric power or auto activated pump motors?* Looks pretty buoyant... no leaks, not too many rain storms, no big seas encountered?* She is a strange puppy!*

Board that baby and fire her UP!!* I would try it... if it were legal to do so and just off the SF CA coast.* Would have Geiger counter with me too!* I know just the two old-salts with a good sized tug who would love to come with me.* What a blast wed have!

I hope somebody gets rights to her and turns a good dollar!
*There is still a rightful owner.* Unless they have declared it "abandoned" with no intent to reclaim it (and you would have to prove in maritime court that...not so easy).

You would be entitled to some salvage claim...maybe up to 1/2...maybe even 3/4 the worth of the boat if you could prove it might be in danger before the owner got to it.* Again that would be difficult because the boat just rode out a North pacific winetr all on her own and is still with us..* Unless you have ever been on a squid netter...you would realize the value of the boat might be just slightly above scrap so your cut may not be much (which is why it's probably abandoned in the first place). I'm not sure I would want to spend more than a few hours on that boat unless I had a good idea of the payday.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.

Would be salvors have right to compensation but not ownership. In the real world, the vessel appears to have been abandoned with little or no residual value (beyond scrap). Good luck trying to get a real salvage company to put a line on it. When you reach port the "proper authorities are going to want a mountain of paperwork and insurance in case she sinks at the dock.
Pilot fees alone would be outrageous in bringing this beast to any port.

Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote