Fishing while cruising West Coast, and Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slowgoesit

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Muirgen
Vessel Make
50' Beebe Passagemaker
There is a similar thread about fishing while doing the loop, but I didn't want to hijack that thread and started this one for the "left" coast. (of the United States)

We're interested in legal requirements for fishing of the West Coast of the US. We're departing Washington State enroute to Mexico in about 7 weeks. We have WA licenses, but not Oregon, or California. The plan is to just fish OR and CA more than 3 miles offshore, then everything put up when we duck inside 3 miles.

And of course, Mexican fishing licenses once we get into Mexico.

• Question I have is the license in Mexico required for EVERYONE on the boat? Or just for the people actively fishing? In other words, if we have someone come in to visit us in MX for a week, do they have to purchase fishing licenses since we have fishing gear on board?

• Also, do we have to get the license(s) before we enter Mexican waters, or can we transit to Ensenada and get licenses there, providing we don't fish until we get the license(s)?
Just trying to keep it legal here.

Hi. Yes, everybody in the boat requires a license in MX. And yes, you can get them when you check in at Ensenada. That said, I have never been checked for a fishing license in 10 years of cruising MX.

Bring lots of cedar plug lures. I've caught everything from Dorado to marlin using these.

Good luck, Bill

I bought my fishing license in ensenada, online, and yes everyone on the boat needs one even if not fishing.

I forgetthe site now but at Marina Coral there was a sign with a QR code.

Thanks Kevin. I'll probably use the site and get the licenses on line before we leave the US. Had any luck fishing coming up the coast this trip?

Red and white feathers work everywhere. After all ours were gone we just made up lures with shredded white plastic bags. Dorado attack anything! We were stopped in the Sea of Cortez but we were in our trailer boat obviously fishing. The Federale kids were probably 16-18 and it was obvious they had difficulty reading the lic. Never ever approached out to sea in a "big boat".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom