Fishing from a trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are many owners of sportfishing boats who would disagree with you on that point. Me included.

We're talking about two different animals here... a sportfish is not a passagemaker. Also, nobody outruns seas when crossing an ocean and they are 20-30 feet high - at that point you are approaching survival conditions for a small boat.

So once again, the OP has to do what all of us need to do and clearly define his personal needs.

It appears you have received many comments in support of fishing from a trawler. I have spent as many as 10 hours a day depending on the fish species I am fishing for and weather conditions fishing.

Dipsy divers can be used instead of down riggers although you don't quite get the depth you may need to reach the fish. Bottom fishing can be great for whatever species of fish for.

Trolling 4 knots doesn't seem to be an issue pulling a 8 inch Rapala if you can fight off the seals. If I need to go slower the use of a small gas powered trolling motor works well. Netting, harpooning, or gaffing not a big issue unless you latch on to large fish which I have and that can get interesting.

We take a little from the sea for our own consumption. Its great because you have freshly caught for the table. Crabbing and shrimping can also result in success. You can always fish in calm waters from a kayak or tender.

I own a 22ft bass boat and I'd almost rather fish from my trawler because of the diverse and out of the way places you can go. It can be a lot of fun traveling to your next destination as you watch you graph and come upon a hump, school of fish, or interesting structure. Just stop, give it a whirl, and usually fish on!

Good luck in your decision. Personally we've never had any regrets.

Last edited by a moderator:
My boat may not be considered a trawler, but IMO it is more trawler like than a traditional sportfisher. It is a Mikelson Nomad, built semi-custom to my specs, which were focused on making it tan excellent long range sportfisher.

Whether a trawler, or any other boat, is good for fishing depends in part on the species sought. For example, tournament marlin fishing requires a very fast boat and a tower for spotting fish. My boat is not fast enough (I typically travel at 8.5 - 10 knots, max cruise is 16 -17 (burning a ton of fuel) and max speed is 19 - 20).

My favorite target is offshore tuna, and the boat is well set up for that. 30 rod holders in the cockpit (not counting those mounted in the transom and gunnel), very large bait tanks in the cockpit, plus a smaller one on the bow, 800 pound/day ice maker to care for the fish, large self-bailing cockpit, the swim platform is integral to the hull and the stern has a reverse angle so backing down is a breeze, although the cockpit is about 12" above waterline, the swimplatform is only a few inches above, so it is really easy to get to a hooked fish if need be. The fishfinding electronics includes scanning sonar, which really helps when trolling -- if fish are spotted 300 or 400 feet off to one side or the other, a simple course change takes my spread right past them -- often results in hookups that would not have happened otherwise. And there is a tower for spotting breaking fish, etc. There are not supports or other obstructions that have to be worked around when chasing a fish around the boat. And with 2300 gallons of fuel, averaging better than 1 to one, even accounting for genset use (which is on 24/7), we have the ability to go loooong.

So, I think it is fair to say that at least some trawlers can excel as fishing platforms.

So, to answer your question,

Last edited by a moderator:
Often when a person learns I've a boat, they ask "do you fish"? When I answer in the negative, their facial expressions say "what a weird bird you are."

Typical San Francisco Estuary fishermen:

Fishing in Turkey (Istanbul):

Last edited:
s. A large cockpit close to the water does not go hand-in-hand with passage making.

Thousands of prawn trawlers in Australia would disagree.
Our cockpit floor level is about 3 ft above the water.
When she was a working boat similar to the picture she used to do several thousand mile trips from Brisbane to the Gulf of Carpentaria chasing grubs.

Nimrod%2BMarch%2B2011%2B12.jpg

My favorite target is offshore tuna, and the boat is well set up for that. 30 rod holders in the cockpit (not counting those mounted in the transom and gunnel), very large bait tanks in the cockpit, plus a smaller one on the bow, 800 pound/day ice maker to care for the fish, large self-bailing cockpit, the swim platform is integral to the hull and the stern has a reverse angle so backing down is a breeze, although the cockpit is about 12" above waterline, the swimplatform is only a few inches above, so it is really easy to get to a hooked fish if need be. The fishfinding electronics includes scanning sonar, which really helps when trolling -- if fish are spotted 300 or 400 feet off to one side or the other, a simple course change takes my spread right past them -- often results in hookups that would not have happened otherwise. And there is a tower for spotting breaking fish, etc. There are not supports or other obstructions that have to be worked around when chasing a fish around the boat. And with 2300 gallons of fuel, averaging better than 1 to one, even accounting for genset use (which is on 24/7), we have the ability to go loooong.

So, I think it is fair to say that at least some trawlers can excel as fishing platforms.

That sounds incredible!! I want to go fishing with you!

Ever caught a 6 ft sturgeon?

Correct drift sock size for 34' trawler?

I have a 34' CHB trawler- a taiwanese tri-cabin. I am looking to slow my boat down from 4.5mph to roughly 2.5 mph for salmon trolling. I am looking at lindy drift socks- probably two of them, one on each side from the bow. trolling valves are out of the question as they arent compatible with my borg warner transmission.

Does anybody have experience as per what size socks? The boat is 20,000 lbs with a single 135 perkins diesel.

Thanks.

Fishing

I plan on doing a great deal of fishing from mine starting soon with winter flounder, and actually will have a livewell aboard the Broadbill,I love trolling live mackerel and pogies up here for striper,and finally have a boat that I can try my luck with some tuna as well,plan on using landlines for the tuna,have more experience wiring fish that way from years aboard the grand banks longline fleet,fished for 7 years as a longliner

We turned our 45ft Newport Trawler into a commercial salmon fishing vessel primarily for tax purposes. Put 2 hand downriggers on it and used a couple of poles. Mostly off Pt Reyes north of SF. I have talked elsewhere about avoiding taxes and this was another legal endeavor. Saved sales tax and reduced yearly PP tax to 1/10th normal. Anyway, we ran 12 hooks vs the REAL 30ft Monterey guys who ran 120 hooks. We did just about 1/10th the catch they had which I felt was good. We basically paid for our cruising fuel cost for the year but that was it. Wouldn't want to have to make a living doing it but it was very successful considering. We continued for 5 years then went back to basking in the sun drinking beer LOL

The biggest issues we have had is that you can't back troll into the wind to keep your bottom fish gear on the bottom like you can on a boat with outboards. We only bottom fish in really calm weather. Works great for trolling, but can be a bit of a pain if there are lots of small boats around fishing in an area. We can't troll quite as slow as them, and it is a big boat to be weaving through the fleet in. Works great out in the ocean where there is lots of space.

My boat may not be considered a trawler, but IMO it is more trawler like than a traditional sportfisher. It is a Mikelson Nomad, built semi-custom to my specs, which were focused on making it tan excellent long range sportfisher.

Whether a trawler, or any other boat, is good for fishing depends in part on the species sought. For example, tournament marlin fishing requires a very fast boat and a tower for spotting fish. My boat is not fast enough (I typically travel at 8.5 - 10 knots, max cruise is 16 -17 (burning a ton of fuel) and max speed is 19 - 20).

I fish on a friends Nomad here in So Cal, Outstanding platform for fishing multiple day's, fishing all species here, including Bluefin Tuna, Yellowtail, White Sea Bass, Marlin and Dorado. I had a 43' Bluesea that we used to run to the Butterfly for the Albacore when it was running in these waters, 20+ years ago. Trawler was perfect for it, as you run all night at 8-9 knots to the grounds, fish all day, then run home again at night with a boatload of fish! Trolling speed for Albacore is about 6-7 knots.

Do multiple types of fishing.
From the dinghy is most productive as we are now coastal. Depending upon where we are it might be trolling,casting , bottom with Carolina rigs or fly. Fly is the most fun.
When anchored will have 2 to 4 lines in the water. Commonly with just frozen shrimp or table scraps like chicken. Have Scotty’s all over the aft cockpit.
When underway don’t fish much if trying to get somewhere. We’re mom and pop so hookiing up means delay and complications. However if just out for the day with friends on the boat will have 2-4 lines in the water. Find this is productive if there’s striper and blue fish in the area. My boat can go slow enough for these fast swimming fish. We’re just messing around so changing course to chase birds or fishballs isn’t an issue. Occasionally will drift and cast for black bass with the engine in idle or off with a lunch hook set up (short scope and no snubbers).
But overall the boat is way less productive than going out in a center console for coastal fish or a sport fish for pelagic fish. It’s a different beast. All boats are beautiful. None do everything well. If the goal is getting fish for dinner I launch the Rigid. It’s an excellent platform for fishing so is set up with Scottie’s and the other stuff for fishing.
Surprisingly the sailboat was a more productive and better platform for bigger fish. As long as we were still on the continental shelf would run multiple cuban spools if we were doing less than hull speed. Would get mahi mahi and yellows with fair frequency. You’re in the cockpit anyway and a glance would tell you a bungee was stretched out. Would have gloves available so reeling in wasn’t hard. Having no rods and reels meant no clutter. Definite KISS and very low tech. Still have the spools but haven’t used them on the Tug. Just use boat rods if underway.

Last edited:
Type of fishing is a good point.

When just traveling down/up the coast to/from Mexico or Panama Canal, we just threw out 2ea 300lb test lines with feathers on them. In order to know when the fish hit, we ran the line thru a clothes pin so it would "Snap" when lure was hit. The dog got trained so he would yelp when he heard the snap lol! We had fish hit at 5kts, at 10kts, just depended where you are. We too were short crew, capt and first mate. But we didn't even slow down, just hauled the fish aboard. Not sporting but we were looking for food fish LOL! When fishing for salmon off Pt Reyes, we would run on one engine to slow the vessel down to proper troll speed. Auto pilot would still hold the course so it worked for us.

As long as we were still on the continental shelf would run multiple cuban spools if we were doing less than hull speed. Would get mahi mahi and yellows with fair frequency.

So that's what you call those things! I had to Google it just now.

When I had my boat in the Persian Gulf we fished with those hand-spools. All I ever caught were these big, gross cuttlefish. I was more successful spearfishing.

Cuban yo yos is the more common term when outside PC world. You can even hand cast with them with a little practice. Fun and dirt cheap.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom