Old 11-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #1
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
fishing along the Loop

All,

Thinking about doing some fishing as we cruise the loop. I'm not a fisherman and don't know a lot about it. I buy my fish at the store or hire a charter captain for fishing. But I do own a few poles, but have little idea of how to rig them and how to fish.

What kind of fish would I be looking for in different areas? Any good info for a beginner?

I know I'm going to talk to my sister in laws brother who coho salmon fishes in Lake Michigan. He get some great fish.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. S. Lots to be caught but keep in mind that every time you visit another state you will need a new fishing license.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
You can even catch a disease in some place lol

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
I love fishing in FL and NJ but don't have a single hook on Irish Lady. The boat is just not set up for dealing with blood, slime, and scales. Not only different licenses are needed but each species has its own techniques and tackle to be successful. I just don't want to give up the space to store a mess of tackle that may never get used.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I am set up for and want to fish, My annual round trips to Fl result in only fishing in Fl due to time spent there.

The biggest show stopper is a dang license in many of the states.

A good deal is NC.... $10 for ten days.

Unless you have a fast boat, you are in NC for a big chunk of that if taking your time.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:24 PM   #6
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
[QUOTE=RT Firefly;611976]Greetings,
Mr. S. Lots to be caught but keep in mind that every time you visit another state you will need a new fishing license.[/QUOTE

Filet and release will keep you safe.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:38 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Many different ways to approach it and many different kinds of fishing. Many people troll offshore as much as possible but you won't likely be running that much off shore. There are places like Hatteras that are renowned for fishing but you won't actually be going to them and if you did, the real fishing is too far offshore. Chartering a fishing trip is always a consideration there. The reason so far is that by that point the Gulf Stream is much further offshore.

As to freshwater and brackish fishing, the real fishermen would tell you it's everywhere. That does point though to the value of a local guide. Okeechobee is top bass territory. If I was wanting to fish in NC I'd get a Currituck Sound guide. On the Erie, Lake Oneida is a hot fishing area. We have a member here who guides there. Each of the Great Lakes has it's distinctive fishing. All depends on how much you want to fish. Then I'd recommend the TN River. Then along the coast from Mobile on you're back to home territory.

I'd decide how much fishing I wanted to do, then pinpoint some diverse places to do it. Then I'd get a local guide for the day.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:51 PM   #8
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Many states have legal authority if fishing unlicensed to confiscate all fishing equiptment that can include your boat. I like fishing but when cruising preferr ordering fish from a menu.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:56 AM   #9
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Thanks for all the good idea.

Goal is not to make this a hassle. Fishing would just be an add-on to trolling along the intercoastal. Not a stand alone activity. I'm not going to hire a charter or guide specifically for a fishing trip, but would certainly like local knowledge.

Does anyone know of a site that gives a list of licensing in each state? Do most states exempt seniors? And do most states have an option for an electronic card (no snail mail required)?
Old 11-24-2017, 07:32 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
... And do most states have an option for an electronic card (no snail mail required)?
Last year we bought fishing licenses on line in MA, GA and FL.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #11
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Last year we bought fishing licenses on line in MA, GA and FL.
You can do the same in SC—also by phone; $11 for a 14-day visitor’s permit.

SCDNR - Nonresident License Pricing
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:54 AM   #12
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
The problem with inshore trolling along the ICW is that most of the time you are moving too fast. You really need to be down around 4 or 5 knots to do much trolling inshore. Offshore you can troll faster.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #13

City: Washington
Not only will you need a license in each state, you will have to know the rules in each state. What time of year each fish is legal to keep and what size range. I believe in some cases you are lot allowed to cut up a caught fish until you are back on land (a problem for someone cruising).
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #14

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
For simple tackle and easy fishing, I'd stick with a saltwater bottom rig and various cut bait and Night Crawlers. In the canal part of the "Loop", in the warm months, you are liable to catch mostly little fish...ie, baby croaker, spot, scup, porgy, flounder, etc. As it gets less brackish to fresh, you'll start picking up catfish and perch. I've seen people catch bass on bottom rigs and earthworms at the "Locks" of Great Bridge.

In the fall, speckled trout, larger croaker, spot, puppy drum, and stripped bass will start moving south and can be caught on the same rig with the right bait.

Just in general, for NC and VA, in my experience...your free 2 cents
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Thanks for all the good idea.

Goal is not to make this a hassle. Fishing would just be an add-on to trolling along the intercoastal. Not a stand alone activity. I'm not going to hire a charter or guide specifically for a fishing trip, but would certainly like local knowledge.
Well, it won't be a hassle that way because not likely to catch much. Two ways to get local knowledge then. One is by spending the night at the marina most popular with fishermen. Second way is by googling the area and fishing reports and you should find one or more fishermen with reports. For instance google "Ocracoke Fishing Reports" and you'll quickly see a dozen or more. Now also many states have reports. Here's one for NC. NC Fishing Reports at Fishing-NC.com: North Carolina Saltwater Fishing Reports . Going to these reports can often show you what is being caught and how.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:48 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:

Does anyone know of a site that gives a list of licensing in each state? Do most states exempt seniors? And do most states have an option for an electronic card (no snail mail required)?
No, most states do not exempt seniors.

Most states do have online capabilities although some are time consuming. Some also have multiple licenses. For instance, NC requires a separate one for inland vs. coastal.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:25 AM   #17
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I suggest when you get to an area known for good fishing, like anywhere in Florida, hire a guide. That avoids the need for a local license and the guide will provide all of the equipment you need. You're actually much more likely to catch a fish with a guide.

Florida exempts senior residents from the need for a license. I don't know about senior visitors.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #18

City: Miami
Vessel Name: Cachimba
Vessel Model: Parker 2510
Not trying to hijack the thread on loop fishing but if your more than 3 miles out your in federal waters. Do you need a fishing license if you land and consume the fish before heading back into state waters? What about if your more than 12 miles out in international waters? Or is it 200 miles out?

Reefspotter
-------------------
Home is where I drop my anchor.
reefspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #19
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefspotter View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread on loop fishing but if your more than 3 miles out your in federal waters. Do you need a fishing license if you land and consume the fish before heading back into state waters? What about if your more than 12 miles out in international waters? Or is it 200 miles out?

Reefspotter
-------------------
Home is where I drop my anchor.
If caught and consumed in federal waters...then fed regs apply.

Once in state waters, state regs apply.

Unless targeting illegal species, or violating federal regs beyond 3 miles, catching and cleaning to freeze, refrigerate would be about 99.9% safe in my recreational and professional experience.

Alaska is a different animal though...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #20
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
To be legal should the law show up your only allowed to gut and gill bleed the fish so they can id species and length of the catch.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote