First Winter Projects - Recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tegdesign

Vessel Name
Nordvind
Vessel Make
Nova Heritage 36
Here are a list of projects I have budgeted for this winter. This is my fist round ever of hiring any services for my boat. If anyone in the Seattle area has any good experience with any particular vendors please let me know!

Canvas Cover for the Flybridge

Props - They are pink

Bottom Painting - Needed it when I bought it

New holding tank - (I'm not going to do that!!)

Polish and Wax - (I hope I'm not doing that)

Exterior Wood - Done half of that, don't want to do more

Electronics & Electronics Installer

Greetings,
Mr. t. Aaaaaaggghhhh........He said the "W" word....
wa_0.gif

Pink props huh? BEFORE you haul, check your bonding system or have someone with a meter check it for you. You will probably have to add some sort of anode service to that "W" aaaarrrrrgghhhhh....list.

Greetings,
Mr. t. Aaaaaaggghhhh........He said the "W" word....
wa_0.gif

Pink props huh? BEFORE you haul, check your bonding system or have someone with a meter check it for you. You will probably have to add some sort of anode service to that "W" aaaarrrrrgghhhhh....list.

My surveyor didn't seem to think it was unusual for (probably 1987 original) props to need replacing due to galvanic action. But what trade would I need to engage to have my bonding system tested? I'm sure that's a good idea.

What's this winter talk? Just been a little rainy and cool lately .. and not much rain either. It's not even October yet. A short time ago it was in the 80's.

Are you peeking through my window? lol. I was just working on my pre-haul, winter and spring lists. (all in onenote which is awesome btw).

Going to make a new dodger, refinish a bunch of teak, change out the fresh water pump, relocate the stereo and a few other projects here

p.s. its 80 here and we are going boating this weekend, but I love lists. =)

This winter is gonna hurt. Our list is 33 items and growing. Including some whoppers like new tender, recore swim platform, and new shaft seal

...oh and thanks to the birds trying to open a clam on our canvas, that's getting redone next week

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mt. t. I would expect a qualified marine electrician could check your bonding system. I'm not going to comment on your "surveyors" opinion of your pink props in spite of the fact they may be original.

Ooops. Forgot the 2 most important projects.

1. Sell Sailboat
2. Buy Trawler

:D

Appreciate the tips. I have picked up a ton of info here. Also paying attention to decks and windows. =) We are not in any rush, so the right boat will find us when she is ready.

Nothing big this year. I found a slightly punky spot on a plank on the port topsides so I will replace that plank along with those immediately above and below it. Other than that it will all be cosmetic - 8 coats of varnish on all the mahogany and the sole in the saloon, two coats paint on the hull topsides, sand the bottom and apply new bottom paint, two coats varnish on the exterior of the mahogany cabin house and the mahogany transom, install two additional house batteries and another solar panel and 500 lbs of lead trim ballast. If I feel ambitious I may install new galley counters. When that is done I will start on the sailboat.

Sailboat projects include: paint topsides and deck with AwlGrip, recore cockpit sole, rip out and then build a new nav station, redo the AC and DC electrical panels, new main sail handling system (mast track and ball bearing cars), two new midships cleats, revarnish interior and exterior wood, rebed genoa tracks and the usual this and that.

My list is pretty simple: Go to Florida. :D

That's provided I finish the current list. :ermm:

Ted

Here are a list of projects I have budgeted for this winter. This is my fist round ever of hiring any services for my boat. If anyone in the Seattle area has any good experience with any particular vendors please let me know!

Canvas Cover for the Flybridge

Props - They are pink

Bottom Painting - Needed it when I bought it

New holding tank - (I'm not going to do that!!)

Polish and Wax - (I hope I'm not doing that)

Exterior Wood - Done half of that, don't want to do more

Electronics & Electronics Installer

There might be some sticker shock and you probably don't need to have it all done there, but CSR Marine is simply the best in Seattle. The quality is great and the follow up is better. We have done two complete electronic installations, deck work bottom jobs and many other projects there. They have always made sure things were right and we have been very happy. As I said, it costs, but they say " cry once" and I believe them. I am sure there are other competent vendors out there, but take a walk through the yard at CSR and you will see a lot of very nice boats being worked on. There is a reason for that, happy owners!

Regards,
Bruce

The Florida season is reversed, so I am just finishing up the list of todos before the season. About 99% complete. The rest may wait awhile.

[STRIKE]I still need to replace my potable water lines, and figure out whether I can fix or need to replace my water heater. I need a new relay for my AC, too. It would be nice to figure out why my stove isn't working. I'd like to replace some Isinglass, and patch a few small tears in my bimini. Oh and the plywood under that seat needs to be replaced. That overhead light in the cockpit could really stand to be replaced, and I'd love to figure out why my low level cockpit lights aren't working. I need to chase down that mechanic and see if he ordered that engine hatch strut like I asked. If not, I should order one. And some more replacement fuel filters. Actually I should replace my filters with a better setup.[/STRIKE]

Sell boat.

Props - They are pink

New props , perhaps new shafts , struts and rudder. Alunimum anode in future .

Check electric in the water when in your slip.

Replace existing lights with LED and add a few LED lines in the darker places on the boat.
Any suggestions of suppliers?

Graham

Hull paint, topside polish..

I replaced all the old, round, incandescent lights on Lollygag with LEDs. I got them on Alibaba, the Chinese site. Delivery took two weeks, had to buy 12 when I needed 10 but it still was at least 50% less expensive than any US supplier. All the lights worked out of the box, look better and are brighter.

There might be some sticker shock and you probably don't need to have it all done there, but CSR Marine is simply the best in Seattle. The quality is great and the follow up is better. We have done two complete electronic installations, deck work bottom jobs and many other projects there. They have always made sure things were right and we have been very happy. As I said, it costs, but they say " cry once" and I believe them. I am sure there are other competent vendors out there, but take a walk through the yard at CSR and you will see a lot of very nice boats being worked on. There is a reason for that, happy owners!

Regards,
Bruce

Thank you! An actual recommendation! I went there for my survey. They were fast and efficient. Now I have another thing to add to my list since this weekend winging my swimplatform at the Ivars dock in a heavy wind. Ouch!

My surveyor didn't seem to think it was unusual for (probably 1987 original) props to need replacing due to galvanic action. But what trade would I need to engage to have my bonding system tested? I'm sure that's a good idea.

Rubbish. Lots of boats have props 30 yrs plus including mine and if the zincing is kept up properly those props should last a lot longer yet.
Yours are pinking because there is a problem. Zincs inadequate, not replaced in a timely fashion or an electrical leak.

If dealt with NOW and if they have just started any further damage can be stopped and the props could be good for many years yet. It will take a GOOD prop shop to figure it out.

A marine electrician with bonding experience should be able to help. The problem could be quite simple such as lack of zincs or not so simple such as leakage but get on it or you may force yourself to need new props and they will cost you big.

As far as that goes get a diver NOW to see if there are any zincs on the prop shafts. He can install new ones. If no zincs that could be the simple answer about why. He should be able to pull the props so they can be sent to the shop for an assessment. But even if there were no zincs get those props assessed. DO not ignore assessment because if they are too far gone and a blade breaks from weakening then it could cause hull damage if you are really lucky [not].

I see you also have bottom work listed. Do that and get the props done at the same time and save the diver.

Get the necessary stuff done now and wait for the toys. The rest are toys, IMO

Last edited:
My list is pretty simple: Go to Florida. :D

That's provided I finish the current list. :ermm:

Ted

I have a pretty good list for this winter (though it's much better than last years) but I like your list much much better.

Ken

Rubbish. Lots of boats have props 30 yrs plus including mine and if the zincing is kept up properly those props should last a lot longer yet.
Yours are pinking because there is a problem. Zincs inadequate, not replaced in a timely fashion or an electrical leak.

If dealt with NOW and if they have just started any further damage can be stopped and the props could be good for many years yet. It will take a GOOD prop shop to figure it out.

A marine electrician with bonding experience should be able to help. The problem could be quite simple such as lack of zincs or not so simple such as leakage but get on it or you may force yourself to need new props and they will cost you big.

As far as that goes get a diver NOW to see if there are any zincs on the prop shafts. He can install new ones. If no zincs that could be the simple answer about why. He should be able to pull the props so they can be sent to the shop for an assessment. But even if there were no zincs get those props assessed. DO not ignore assessment because if they are too far gone and a blade breaks from weakening then it could cause hull damage if you are really lucky [not].

I see you also have bottom work listed. Do that and get the props done at the same time and save the diver.

Get the necessary stuff done now and wait for the toys. The rest are toys, IMO

I will get the props and bonding system checked out. The zinc on the boat when I took it out of the water for my survey last year were pretty much gone. I replaced them before dropping it back in the water. But I don't know how often the zincs were replaced by the PO's.

My winter project list is getting bigger. November. Haul boat and change zincs and change out a frozen sea cock on a/c unit, antifouling paint, wash and compound and wax(ugh). Gelcoat is faded badly. Might have that done professionally. Also, want to redo the dash and add gauges to the fly bridge (if I get very motivated) and maybe add a remote for the auto pilot at fly bridge.

As far as the list getting longer you are in good [bad] company. Mine isn't any shorter than it was thirty years ago and I do spend a lot of time on the boat and working on the boat. Just different items.

Just don't let necessary stuff go by the wayside for nice to haves.

ENJOY the work, or paying for it, but enjoy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom