Old 05-31-2017, 12:53 PM   #121
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Doesn't mean to say you are legal, just not yet caught.

For a $27.50 user fee why take the risk?

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/uftd-info

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...Z0RQRVFZam4%3D
It's not about getting "caught".

They ask you on the phone if you have the decal. I just tell then "no" and they move on with clearing me in. In decades of doing this with boats of all sizes, it's never once been any big deal to not have the decal.

I'm not saying don't get one, just that you will not be denied re-entry if you don't happen to have it.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:42 PM   #122
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
As others have said, not having the Decal is an invitation for a visit when calling in.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:12 PM   #123
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
First trip to the Bahamas--need a plan.

I ordered the decal. Even if not totally necessary I've wasted more money on dumber things.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:30 PM   #124
Guru

Good Boy !!!
Old 05-31-2017, 06:31 PM   #125
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Wise move.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:35 PM   #126
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Yes, it was a wise move.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:04 PM   #127

City: Ft. Myers, FL.
Vessel Name: Chasing 80
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Constellation 460
I found that while trying to clear into MI from Canada it was best to just call the number I got from CBP in Key West. They know the system and had no problem closing my float plan. I had heard many stories from people that tried to call a MI office and were told to report in person anyway. I made the call while we were still near Drummond Is. just in case it didn't work but we had no problem and continued on to De Tour as planned. YMMV.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:25 PM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
That is a great idea to call a Florida CBP. Didn't think of that.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:06 PM   #129
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I found that while trying to clear into MI from Canada it was best to just call the number I got from CBP in Key West. They know the system and had no problem closing my float plan. I had heard many stories from people that tried to call a MI office and were told to report in person anyway. I made the call while we were still near Drummond Is. just in case it didn't work but we had no problem and continued on to De Tour as planned. YMMV.
I'm surprised that worked. Numerous times we've called in to what we thought was the local CPB office only to be told to call the next jurisdiction that was closer.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:09 AM   #130
Guru

Another question. I don't have any solar, so will have to run the generator to keep batteries up when anchored out. I have thought about installing solar one day if we cruise to the Caribbean or spend long amounts of time in the Bahamas, but for now I'm stuck to using the gen. My battery bank is not very large at 500 ah, so I was wondering what would happen if my gen wouldn't start or needed a part for some reason while out cruising the Bahamas or somewhere where it's hard to get parts. Guess I would have to go to a marina and plug in, which my wife will probability want to do at times anyway.

Does anyone carry a spare small gas gen like the Honda 2000? See them on Craigslist for $500-$800 all the time. Don't think I can get a solar setup for that much, but don't really want to store gas either.

If I installed solar I would like to install a davit setup on the transom and have panels on top of that, because I also need a better dinghy setup. But that will be thousands of dollars so I've put that off for now.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:20 AM   #131
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
CD: Don't over think it, just go and have. If you loose your main generator, do as you suggested, go into a marina. The first time we went cruising we had spares on spares that we never used. You cant cover all the what ifs. It seems like your doing all the right stuff for your trip, you've got a good solid boat and have been taking care of stuff as it happens plus the PM. When are you crossing over?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:21 AM   #132
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Don't forget that your engine(s) will also charge the batteries if stuck. Make sure that your start batteries (and gen start) are not tied in and are not used to run the house.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:27 AM   #133
Guru

City: LI or Fla
Don't over think it, good maintenance program for main and gen will get you very far, or for at least your trips.
Spare impellers with associated O rings, extra antifreeze that's used in your system, extra belts and careful inspection and you will be good.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:28 AM   #134
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I carry a 1000W Honda I bought for my last liveaboard that had no genset.

It won't power much above a 30 amp charger so I carry a small 20A car charger too.

I have 4 solar panels, but the day my battery charger died in the Keys this winter, it decided to be gloomy and rain for 2 days...but the small charger and solar saved the days.

You can get 2 -100 watt panels with controller from Amazon pretty quick and a lititle overy $300.
Of my 4 panels, 2 are mounted but 2 are on 20 foot pigtails that I can move all over the boat for best angle to the sun. Sometimes a single move able more than doubles the output of the mounted ones due to sun angle and shading. I can get decent solar from sun up to sunset most days.

So for emergencies...and heck daily use, if you have a place to store them underway, a pair of moveable ones, even my hard Renology brand ones have cut my genset time in half, or all together if moving that day, and are a backup to genset failure.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:29 AM   #135
Guru

The start batteries are separated.

Yeah I'm the king of over thinking things in the AM while drinking coffee, but then I usually forget about what I was overthinking about later on. [emoji38]

Still have my boat project going on. Was trying to cross in June but looks more like July now. Probably just a 2-4 week trip this time since we a have HS age kid who has other commitments/job and probably can't go, but still needs some supervision. It's complicated.

Thinking the Abacos so if a big storm is coming I will have time to get back to FL in 2-3 days? Is that reasonable?
Old 06-01-2017, 07:47 AM   #136
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 01. The potential distance from the Abacos to FL could be anywhere from 150sm to 200sm. Transiting that distance at any time is TOTALLY dependent on weather regardless of any approaching storms. So, I guess what I'm saying is there is no answer.

PLEASE keep VERY strongly in mind that in any case of a "go/no go" weather related decision or concern, better to err on the side of caution. What's the worst that could happen if you stay put or you leave the boat and fly home?
Old 06-01-2017, 07:54 AM   #137
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. 01. The potential distance from the Abacos to FL could be anywhere from 150sm to 200sm. Transiting that distance at any time is TOTALLY dependent on weather regardless of any approaching storms. So, I guess what I'm saying is there is no answer.

PLEASE keep VERY strongly in mind that in any case of a "go/no go" weather related decision or concern, better to err on the side of caution. What's the worst that could happen if you stay put or you leave the boat and fly home?

Very true. Just leave the boat at Marsh Harbour and fly out I guess? Just for contingency plan purposes, what marina would be best? I know the Moorings used to keep boats in Marsh Harbour so I'm guessing they have some type of storm plan. Are slips hard to get there if a TS or hurricane is coming?
Old 06-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #138
Guru

CD1

Larry is correct. I have been to the Bahamas a few time and as long as the starting batteries are not used as house batteries you should always be able to start your mains. One year I lost my gen set and ended up going from marina to marina to keep the food from spoiling and we had AC at the dock at night. I carry only the parts that can help me get to a particular place or marina.

Go and have fun.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:24 AM   #139
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Very true. Just leave the boat at Marsh Harbour and fly out I guess? Just for contingency plan purposes, what marina would be best? I know the Moorings used to keep boats in Marsh Harbour so I'm guessing they have some type of storm plan. Are slips hard to get there if a TS or hurricane is coming?
I think the Moorings use some canals at Treasure Cay as hurricane holes . I have a friend at Treasure Cay in the real estate business.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #140
Guru

A friend of mine tied his boat in one of the finger channels in the man made cross Grand Bahamas canal. He ties off to treees and weathered out the hurricane just fine.

Some places in the Bahamas they beach their boats and tie them odd to trees and various anchors.